USA vs. Costa Rica 9/3 Post-Match [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by schrutebuck, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Definitely a tale of two halves.

The first half I thought the US looked as good if not better than I have ever seen it. Being aggressive going after the ball getting back as soon as it was lost.

However as good as they were in the first half, they equally as bad in the second. Completely missing the pace of the game, making bad passes, losing the ball unnecessarily.

I like Klinsman and the style he has brought but yeah he needs to work on many things before any US team is good enough to live up to the new system.

2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: USA vs. Costa Rica 9/3 Post-Mortem [R]

I don't know, maybe the Wannabe coach knew they weren't at the game?:rolleyes:

3. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed, I've never understood the concept of not playing guys just because they're older. If he is good enough to play on the upcoming Saturday, then he plays.

4. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? Does anybody on this board have that illusion? I'm not talking to Landon here, I'm talking to the posters who seem to think it's important we take his happiness about living in LA into consideration in our wishes for career.

The point is, I am a fan of his soccer. That's the only thing about him special enough for me to pay attention to, so that's the subject I am considering when it comes to discussing him on this board. If Landon ever visits a board about me, then he will certainly tend to discuss the things about me worth writing about on that board - Of course nothing comes to mind at the moment ;)

5. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Indeed, sometimes being useful for one game makes all the difference in the world.

[​IMG]

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

Of course it's fine playing here. But at 29, his chances of being a starter in 2014 are small, even if he is the best fit in midfield.

And, even if he does start in 2014, it'd have been a lot better to have him performing well when he was 23, no?

7. MJ-inBRITAIN

MJ-inBRITAIN Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Nottingham, UK
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that sort of misses the point. First of all, from a players perspective, if you're good enough to play for your country then it totally blows that because you've been overlooked for 6 or whatever years, then they use that as a reason to freeze you out. It's such an honor to play for your country, if you are good enough to represent, then you should be given that chance.

Second, qualifying is a long, difficult route and we're going to need to draw from a large pool of players. Don't tell the guys that suited for the US team in the qualifying rounds but that didn't make it to South Africa "Hey, you weren't involved in that World Cup team", because they were and that belittles their achievement and effort.

Finally, he won't be that old and you will usually need some experience, if nothing else to show the other guys how to behave (don't know what Kyle is like here). How old was Forlan, 33? Look at the Italian team from 2006, old as the hills.

Not playing guys just because they're older, especially when they're better, is just stupid.

8. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I thought this was a positive outing really.

Just seeing Brek Shea run at defenses at international level makes this game a success. Even if his play was erratic and he made lots of mistakes. He will scare defenses. There aren't that many USA players who do. Having one more is a big deal.

Klinsmann is testing out players in systems too. This is why a new coach wants friendlies. I think Klinsmann's goal right now is to teach our team that we can play with the ball.

Ultimately, Klinsmann will give up on Castillo and probably Orozco, and probably get a 2nd striker out there. And I see us shifting back towards a more counter attack type of game. But I think having gone through this exercise of playing with the ball will help us be more capable of dictating tempo, protecting leads and seeing out games.

I start caring about results in the spring as qualifying approaches. I'm going to stay positive on Klinsmann and his aproach

9. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Which of the Costa Rican defenders could be considered "international level"? Nondescript MLS and Costa Rican league players don't suddenly become more talented when they put on the national team jersey.

10. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    We dominated for 60 minutes and looked better than we have in years. Klinsmann is on the right path but it will take some time to get there. We cannot be afraid to take chances and to compete. We've just ended years of playing not to lose instead of playing to win and we'll have to take some lumps before we become a force but this is the only path to get better.

I think Shea shows promise and will stay in the mix but in the end we will need somebody that can deliver the ball. That he didn't do that well. I believe Dempsey and Donovan will be outside in the end. Donovan didnt look good in this game and. I can see Torres in his central spot with possibly Beckerman or someone else behind him. I see a greatly reduced with possibly no role for MB. The single DM position is getting crowded and with a level playing field, he may be the man out.

Forward is still wide open for me

11. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

I wouldnt. If I had to choose, I would rather lose continously.. and get better slowly, and gradually, and be a better team when it mattered.

12. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007

hmmm.... o'rly?

Holden was leading the Premiership in tackles ,was voted his teams most valuable player, and scoring goals as the number 8, literally and figuratively, for Blackburn, and you think that for the special US team he should be played out wide?

this is the problem with US soccer and the thought process.

13. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With all the young talented players we have coming up, I'd rather we stick to this attacking style that they are also trying to implement at youth level. I don't want to see players like Lleget and Gil playing bunker ball.

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US did not dominate for 60 minutes. Maybe 40 but even that is generous.

15. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the 35 minutes or so againt Costa Rica where the Usa was doing anything Rogers was involved in all of the key touches. And of course he was involved in the goal Altidore scored that was called back.

Ratings wise I would give him a 5.5 or maybe a 6 rating. Same with Donovan. It was pretty obvious from where we were at HDC they both suffered from dead legs. The biggest disappointment for us was Altidore. I would have given him a 3 at most.

Torres was good in spurts but ran out of gas. Same with Shea.

The USA was a far better team than Costa Rica until they got tired. But thats soccer/football. Even crappy teams can win.

16. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ahhhh... thanks for reminding me. I was there and completely agree.

I loved the dominate posession but, as usual, the finishing was terrible.

17. Marakesh Express

Marakesh Express New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    If it was 60 minutes...

How many good scoring chances were created through this dominance? I know some nice passing led to a clear chance for LD in the 6th. Any others?

18. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends if you count mishit crosses or offsides as good scoring chances as some posters have.

19. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Torres was impressive.

The loss was a little disappointing given how well we looked early on, but we paid the price for lack of end-product. In attack though we looked very dynamic in that first half. More dynamic and fluid than I have seen us in awhile...but it didn't last and CR bunker-countered.

Again the one thing that I will really remember from this game is how well Torres looked on the ball for us. Maybe against better competition he gets dispossessed more but I kept thinking: how is it that this kid looks this good right now? He reminds me of Reyna but quicker and more attack minded.

20. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
  21. Marakesh Express

Marakesh Express New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Yeah!

Example?

22. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    Common Sense?

and why did you have to edit a 2 word post?

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'd say Dieter Hecking might be one.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who does he manage?