Post-match: USA vs. Barbados (6/15 1st leg)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    And the Jack Warner rounds continue to be exposed for what they are... worthless.

2. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This question isn't exactly related to post-game analysis, but I'll ask anyways.

Did anyone hear the announced attendance for the game? I was hoping for 12,000.

4. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I've said it before - the top 3 of CONCACAF need an automatic bye to the final hex of the next cycle. That is an accurate reflection of the disparity of this region. It is fair - if you don't make the final 3, you'll get thrown back into the mixer, and if you're a team like Costa Rica that is good every 15 years or so, that's exactly how it should be.

Most importantly, it keeps Jack Warner from fixing the pool. Because anyone who thinks he hasn't rigged the draw in favor of T&T for years is simply crazy.

As for Barbados, what a waste of time. A complete and total waste of time. I can't think of a thing to take away from this from the US perspective.

5. spike

spike Member

Feb 22, 2001
    Tejas
    From the replay, it looked like the second goal he was credited with was an own goal. I don't think he touched it.

But beyond that, what in the world did Ching do to deserve MOTM? He scored a few goals against the worst defense in the world, but who didn't?

Page 1: let's get the irrational ranting off to a good start!:D

6. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Spoken like Dynamo fan...couldnt disagree more i thought he was our worst attacking player, should've had 3 goals at least, that whiff on that Barbados own goal was terrible. For a guy who supposedly has a good understanding with Landon he was on a totaly different page tonight. Our forward options still look thin, Bob has to try out Cooper and Jozy.

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It means more money for tiny confederations.

8. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The result is good, just did what they had to do. The 2nd leg is almost meaningless now which is great. Its hard to tell who looked good individually. I noticed Beasley looked not so good a few times but thats the only player I really had a negative or positive reaction to. If he's really not 100% I don't understand why he's playing in these games. EJ ended his long drought. Guzan made a couple of stops but we probably could have won without a goalkeeper.

I agree US/Mexico should get byes but these games are what they are for now.

9. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Belize gets a nice boost from the Mexican fans at Reliant.

Besides, sometimes minnows bite and that is fun to watch (unless it happens to you).

10. flsoccer

flsoccer Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I wouldnt call anyone's play bad, but Ching missed a few opportunities. the own goal he whiffed. and there was a play in the 1st half where the rebound came right to him next to the post and he kicked it off the side of his foot.

I wouldnt call him the MOTM. Im not sure who youd give it to. But it wouldnt be Ching.

11. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    I have to imagine we'll send an under-strength side to Barbados? I mean, there's no way in hell they score 8 goals on us. Ever.

Who are we lined up to play in the next round? Is it the winner of

Guat - St. Lucia
    Trinidad - Bermuda
    Cuba - Antigua?

12. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[result] At the moment, Smilin' Jack has enough issues - T&T is losing - at home - to Bermuda 2-1 in the 87th minute...:eek[/result]

13. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    We should be sending our U-20s to Barbados. Put Mastro, Bocanegra, and Beasley on the bench in case things go south fast.

14. dethfire

dethfire Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Good to get the win, but this does nothing for our team's development and we learn nothing new about the players. If anything playing these D3 college teams make us weaker.

15. Non-dairy Creamer

Feb 28, 2007
    I agree, we haven't gotten any better by playing Barbados, it teaches us nothing, nothing at all. what a joke to have to play them. We are not challenged when playing such a team. If anything, we have to fight the mentality to sit around and be lazy, we had so much time on the ball bad habits can develop.

16. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    I would say the U-23s. They have the Olympics this summer. How South can it go? Do you think our U-23s would lose by 7?

O, and MOTM is whoever scheduled the England/Spain/Argentina series of friendlies.

17. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.
    All true - but we only play these teams every few years. This just underscores why competitive friendlies are important. That - and combining the Gold Cup/Copa America and making it every four years.

18. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    If Barbados do win by 9, I'll be pretty unhappy about the lack of any stoppage time today :D.

19. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Cuber (in a JFK accent).

20. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T & T in the midst of an epic choke job after losing at home to Bermuda today.

21. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Did I see Bradley smile or was that just his usual smirk?

We have to play these games and it really is not fair to both teams. I guess Barbados players can always say they played against the US for a World Cup Qualifier. As for US players, at least they did not get injured.

22. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the sentiment, but all of the minnows get their day in the sun around the world. Germany put a baker's dozen past San Marino in the last qualifying round.

23. wrekinrak25

wrekinrak25 Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    highlights anyone?

24. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    Complete..........waste..........of..........time:mad:

Impossible to make any real or meaningful comments about this match.

25. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8-0 not much to go on this was expected....... Just when the US couldn´t score opened the flood gates against amatures....... wish we could see this more often... BUT POINT WAS MADE.

We got the job done.