Pre-match: USA v Netherlands Round of 16 12/3 10 am ET

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Nov 29, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    I'm cautiously optimistic. I remember watching in 2002 when the US made it through after knocking out Mexico and then the game against Germany that should have gone on longer. I am hopeful the US can get through the Netherlands. Would be pretty cool.

Especially when you consider the youth of this team and the possible future of this team with 4 more years knowing they are already in the WC for 2026.

WrmBrnr, RunthePoint, Girt and 2 others repped this.
  2. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    tomásbernal repped this.
  3. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Thanks, I wen’t over and made a fool of myself there. Cheers and I hope you have a great World Cup experience.

4. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, i would not have been. i would have been elbowing every brazillian nose in sight,,,

5. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the crying dutchmen?

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, thats one way to put i guess...

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  8. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Why not the USA? Dest is part Surinamese (sp.?).

9. zanderbz

zanderbz Member

May 12, 2005
    United States
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prior to the start of the tournament, I had the US finishing with anywhere from 2-7 pts. Part of me thought that 7 pts was overly optimistic based on the inconsistency in WCQ and a couple of subpar friendliness. Looking back, we probably should have 7 but did what we needed and made it through.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the team and think our chances are closer to 50/50 than 35/65 vs The Netherlands. I am nowhere near as nervous as I was for the Iran match. Quite the opposite, I’m excited to watch the USMNT again!

As far as personnel are concerned, I think we see Gio get a start over Weah because of his quality in the final third. Weah has exceeded my expectations this WC but I think Gio can help create more high quality opportunities for other US players to finish.

Looking forward to a legendary match!

10. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    My wife is also Colombian. I've never heard any South American use Países Bajos either. It seems to always be Holanda, as you say. Can you blame them?

11. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably been mentioned here, but the US and Netherlands have a combined 2 GA in the group stage. Don’t expect much offense in this one. The Dutch look more likely to score, but the US have been very stingy. AET and even PKs are a fairly likely outcome.

TimB4Last repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I’m actually leaving the safety of my home this morning to watch the game in a public space - so wish me luck.*

The possible outcomes are 50-50 - advance or go home - and neither would surprise me. It’s daunting to think about winning four KO games in a row, but you play them one at a time.

I know we’ll play hard, but I’d like to see us play well and play smart.

I’ll spare everyone all of my particular suggestions, but I want to see evidence that we’re prepared for one likely outcome - extra time and PKs. For example, I would start Aaronson for his workrate and sub in Pulisic at an opportune moment, say at 60’, rather than the reverse. Then you have a fresh CP (v tired legs) for extra time and PKs.**

Go USA!

++++++++++++

* Bar food for breakfast, and maybe a celebratory drink before noon.

** Yes, this approach seems foolish if you go down a couple of goals early, but you have to trust the team as a whole not to let that happen.

13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m seeing Josh Sargent in the training videos and he looks good to go, and reports are that Pulisic is okay, so I’m including him too...

My XI.... the hybrid 433/442

——————Sargent————————
    ———————————Weah————
    —Pulisic——————————————
    ————Musah—————McKennie—-
    ———————Adams————————
    Jedi——————————————Dest
    ————-Ream————Zimmerman——
    ————————Turner———————-

Subs:
    -Aaronson (McKennie)
    -Reyna (Weah)
    -Ferreira (Sargent)
    -Scally (Dest)
    -5th TBD

Girt, JWMissoula and rgli13 repped this.
  15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    My attempt at sleep last night was a waisted effort.

Let’s ********ing go.

zanderbz, orcrist, Girt and 5 others repped this.
  16. Pickles

Pickles Member

Jun 4, 2014
    Glad we're playing in the first knockout game. Let's get it done, for better or worse. Cut the foreplay.

If we were an actual contender, we'd have a relatively favorable schedule in terms of rest days for remainder of the games.

Also, I would think sometime in the last eight months, the US staff took a good long look at the Netherlands.

RunthePoint repped this.
  17. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or worse…against Wales we inexplicably held the ball up so many times on fast break opportunities. So frustrating. Let’s hope the boys see the chances and do damage.

RunthePoint and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Message to the team....

NO FEAR. No fear. No fear. We all know the quality that the Dutch are on paper. We all know that we are considered to be the underdog in this match. We know that we must be disciplined, win our duels, take advantage of our chances, and avoid mistakes in key areas of the field. Tune out all the distractions and realize the moment is right here. You’ve already got out of the group. The monkey is off the back. But now is the time to do something really special here.

Trust me, we can play with this team. But we need 110% effort for 90 minutes, and maybe a little more. Listen, you’re going to have to dig deep again. This is going to be a very hard game. The Dutch are going to look to exploit our errors if we give them any. We’ve got to be turned on the whole match ~ however long that might be. Do not give them anything easy. Make them earn it.

Where we are going to hurt them is in our tenacity. The Dutch are going to learn a hard lesson today. That lesson is that we want it more than them.

Now, let’s go out and play our game. Let’s don’t be afraid to creat chances. Let’s get after them. Come on, guys. Let’s go, USA!!!

19. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is "mirroring" in the context of soccer? I've not heard this term before.

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here. Woke up like six times looking at my clock. Just waiting! Let’s go! USA!

orcrist, NietzscheIsDead and RunthePoint repped this.
  21. Pickles

Pickles Member

Jun 4, 2014
    My one little ask is that we don't give up any soft goals. Pretty please. No dumb penalties, no set piece trash, etc. Second little ask... no red cards? Double pretty please?

When you think about it, soccer and hockey are the same sport - "no soft goals." But soft goals have a much bigger influence in soccer, and we aren't good enough to surrender one.

ChrisSSBB and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Berhalter, win this game and go down as a legend!

zanderbz and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    1597771192483557376 is not a valid tweet id

24. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is using similar formation against opponent. For sure matching number of CM’s. If they go 2 up top, we, might go 3 CB’s. In essence, a 3-5-2 vs their 3-5-2. But, maybe it means something else.

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  25. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    One of the things I’ve always loved about the Dutch is their lack of inferiority complex towards their domestic players. They’ll start an AJAX/PSV/Feyenoord player over anyone abroad, anywhere abroad…if they think they’re better. And nobody will be up in arms about it…about the lower level weekly domestic play.

Beyond that…..******** them.