Pre-match: USA v Mexico Gold Cup Final 2021 (8/1)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jul 30, 2021.

1. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    idk about a book but the point made for a good post

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Just trolling. Absolutely doesn't belong in N&A.

nbarbour and gogorath repped this.
  3. thepundit

thepundit Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tacoma, WA
    imo until the Zardes Gio Roldan subs our wingers barely got the ball in situations propitious for passing and combining, until Roldan came on and started to combine really well with Arriola, and Gio and Lletget got it going together. Hoppe nonetheless created some sweet chances (a shot of his and a cross on the grass to Dike come to mind), but there weren't sustained periods of possession that defanged Qatar and threatened their goal

idk how Mexico compares to Qatar, but Qatar really kicked our butts in the first half, and drew a penalty in the second half when we failed to get numbers back. it didn't seem to me that we were having enough success on counterattacks to compensate for how dangerously we were living in the back

also Shaq and Cannon are two of our best players, so a scheme that allows us to get both of them on the field is cool to me

4. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #229 KALM, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Again, you can yell "Friendly" all you want, but that doesn't make it so. It was a competitive fixture by basically any definition out there. FIFA treats it as a competitive fixture (though I will grant you that for the purposes of its rankings it only treats it the same as a lowly World Cup final round qualifier), teams sent their best available squads, and the players and the fans both clearly cared about the match. That's 3 for 3 in my mind.

And I say this as someone who didn't care much for the tournament going into it. But the truth is the importance of a competition doesn't turn on my own preferences, or even the arbitrary labels attached to those fixtures. It depends on how much the teams and the fanbase as a whole care, and clearly all parties involved took this a lot more seriously than they would a friendly (see the 2019 friendly which we basically treated as a bizarre tactical training exercise, or the 2018 friendly where both sides sent a B team).

Going back at least 20 years now, the 2nd Gold Cup of the cycle has basically been treated as a glorified friendly tournament by the top teams, as they tend to leave most of their European based players with their clubs, and public interest is generally diminished. It does have one thing going for it -- which is the points FIFA assigns for a victory -- but that typically hasn't been enough to get teams to care. But it does have the sacred "Conference Championship" designation going for it I guess.

I will stop your right there, because I never said anything of the sort. I was taking issue with what seemed to me to be an inexplicable effort to discount the most recent competitive result between the two teams. And sure I do think the most recent A team competitive result between the two sides is the most relevant data point, but I obviously would not weigh it more than a decade of results.

Going back exactly a decade in competitive A team matches, the US has won twice (2013 and this year), Mexico has won 3 times (2015, 2016, and 2019 -- 4 times if you go back a little further in 2011), and the teams have drawn twice (2013 and 2017). Mexico has the edge there, but the most recent A team result makes it a lot closer in my mind.

Footsatt and TurdFerguson repped this.
  5. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I am really glad I got to learn something today. A world cup qualifier is just a glorified friendly.

thepundit, ifsteve, tomásbernal and 5 others repped this.
  6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    We're letting the trolls dictate the conversation in here once again. Might I suggest the "ignore" button where appropriate?

Bite o' the Cherry, FTGOTC and Bajoro repped this.
  7. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. What a weird hill to die on.

8. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy to do so.

Here is a hint: Looking at wider records to push back on over inflation of the meaning of a single result is not trolling. It is reality. Would you like me to ignore you, since you contribute nothing to the discussion of results? Just say the word.

9. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    whats the record in non friendlies over the last decade? I assume like 12-7-3 for Mexico the way you troll.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Record from July 31sy 2011 until today:

10 Aug 2011 USA v Mexico D 1-1 International Friendly
    15 Aug 2012 Mexico v USA W 0-1 International Friendly

26 Mar 2013 Mexico v USA D 0-0 FIFA World Cup
    10 Sep 2013 USA v Mexico W 2-0 FIFA World Cup
    02 Apr 2014 USA v Mexico D 2-2 International Friendly
    15 Apr 2015 USA v Mexico W 2-0 International Friendly

10 Oct 2015 USA v Mexico L 2-3 CONCACAF Cup
    12 Nov 2016 USA v Mexico L 1-2 FIFA World Cup
    11 Jun 2017 Mexico v USA D 1-1 FIFA World Cup
    11 Sep 2018 USA v Mexico W 1-0 International Friendly
    07 Jul 2019 Mexico v USA L 1-0 CONCACAF Gold Cup
    06 Sep 2019 USA v Mexico L 0-3 International Friendly
    06 Jun 2021 USA v Mexico W 3-2 CONCACAF Nations League

Taking out friendlies:

7 competitive games.
    3 wins by MEX (3-2, 2-1, 1-0)
    2 wins by USA (2-0, 3-2)
    2 ties (0-0, 1-1)

9-9 in goals. 0 GD.

Pegasus and Bajoro repped this.
  11. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let us review shall we? I said over the last dozen years, Mexico has dominated. Fine, let's add the Nation's League. That still means 6 Mexico wins, 2 draws, 2 US. wins. If Mexico wins tomorrow, that's a 7-2 record. That is, PRECISELY AS I SAID, pretty lopsided. I ALSO pointed to the completely lopsided results at the youth levels (Olympics, etc) and at the Club level (At least no one has disputed those). In other words, I pointed to a record at multiple levels suggesting that there's a long pattern of Mexico being clearly in front. I think that's pretty undeniable.

And the response has been: We won the Nation's League final in extra time (thus a DRAW in regular time). That's it. One. match. So we are supposed to believe that barely winning a single match means that Mexico has NOT been dominant in recent years? People here are WAAAAY overblowing a single match which was, generously, pretty even, and many thought Mexico were the better team, dominated possession, had more shots, etc. That's it. That's the totality of the evidence.

I'm sorry, but one match doesn't really tell you much, especially when it was hardly a dominant performance by the A Team, and anyone who knows this sport knows that. I'm sorry, but folks are making some giant conclusion over one match. Even if we say that the Nation's League final is the single most important match every played in CONCACAF, it is one match. That's the definition of cherry picking, especially when it was a pretty shaky win. Maybe if the U.S. had completely bossed an aging side, I could see it, but that is not what happened.

Let's revisit after the qualifiers in Mexico and Ohio. Let's talk after tomorrow.

In the meantime, one thing I realize is that there's no point trying to bring facts when people are adamant in clinging to their one thing. Fine. You want to believe based on one shaky match that whatever, feel free. Knock yourself out.

12. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently you all don't konw how to read. I postd it. But hey, you all don't care about facts.

Fine, the U.S. is the best team in the WORLD! We won the Nation's League and now France Italy and Brazil are TERRRIFIED! OMG!!!1!

There, happy?

13. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta love the new found fondness for looking only to 2013, because that is literally the only time frame that looks close.

Go back 5 years, it's 3 Mexico, 1 draw, 1 US. Go back 12 and it's 6-2-2. 2013 to pick up the one win is the only way to make it look close.

Anyway, I'm sure that the U.S. is actually the #1 team in the world. you win. I'm not going to argue facts here. I mean I've been kicking around here for almost 20 years, and you'd think I'd know better.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The question was about the last decade. The only way I could understand it is as the last 10 years to the date.

tomásbernal repped this.
  15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually said dozen years since the record of Mexico dominating really started in the 2009 cycle. But whatever.

I really am past caring. If you all want to think that the U.S. is the dominant team in Concacaf and Mexico are tissue paper, please do.

16. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Well you've certainly demolished the arguments that the US is the number 1 team in the world and that the US has been the dominant team vs Mexico over the past 12 years, which are totally arguments that people were making in this thread.

Master O, tomásbernal, gogorath and 2 others repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I don't. I think right now with all their players healthy Mexico is still a bit stronger than us.

I don't think that is going to last, though. While they have incoming talent good enough to keep more or less even with this team, we have the incoming talent to surpass them for a while, at least.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Otherwise, 10 years is an eternity in international soccer. The last year is basically all that matters.

juveeer, Bajoro and don Lamb repped this.
  18. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Member

United States
    Jan 11, 2013
    nobody, literally nobody is saying the US is the best team in the world, you ********ing dipshit.

19. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This is hilarious since we literally won.

But good times.

juveeer, Master O and tomásbernal repped this.
  20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Good question.

I’d probably bring Brooks, Richards, Robinson, McKenzie and then Sands for a back three… but that feels super young.

But still, i feel that’s who has earned it.

Miazga and are I say it, Ran would be in the conversation, but mostly Miazga for now. Maybe Zimmerman, now that i think on it.

21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    This is dumb.

Everyone associated with both confederations knows our A teens beat theirs in Nations League, no matter what your agenda is.

Their fans know. Tata knows. Hector Herrera knows.

This is just mindless dumb internet spewage.

USSoccerNova, juveeer, Master O and 3 others repped this.
  22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "That is the greatest soccer goal I have ever seen" is my new catchphrase

Bajoro repped this.
  23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Lol.

The walk back of a weak ass troll not trying to change anything about a discussion he is clearly factually wrong about.

God, how pathetic is it to watch adults do this? Like how old are you? Do you have a job? Do people just mock you in general?

Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Maybe he will get better in time for our first qualifier?

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They were playing without Raul and we didn't have Adams. Frankly, I think they were missing more than us in that exchange. And we won by the skin of our teeth.

Being as impartial as possible, I think they're still stronger than us, when we both have the best players out there. A situation unlikely to last, since we have the young players with the most upside.