USA v Costa Rica in Salt Lake

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Ball Chucking Hack, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Ball Chucking Hack

Jan 21, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    As per: http://www.ussoccer.com/

Sorry if this has been posted already.

On what sort of field (width, length, surface) will this game be played?

2. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I read that it is currently artificial turf and they'll have to bring in a tiled grass field for the game.

Anybody else know anything different?

4. IowaBoy

IowaBoy Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Des Moines
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    As much as I hate that the game is not back east, I am glad to see that the game is in SLC. It is a great venue and I hope will be good for RSL as well. Altitude will be a non-factor, as CR has already proven they can win big games at high altitudes...just ask Mexico.

6. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I think we should applaud ussf for the willingness to use NEW venues for the hex...

birmingham and salt lake can only make hex matches accessible for MORE usa fans...

all too often the foxboro, rfk, columbus venues have been OVER used...

the usmnt coming to town should make soccer fans excited about a once in a decade happening....

the OLD venues don't do that at all....

7. UncleSam527

UncleSam527 Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Would it be possible to sell this out? It seats about 45K right? Who's up for predicting attendance numbers?

8. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur, even as a fan living in Boston.

The 9k against Grenada really did it for me...it was my first trip to Crew Stadium, and I couldn't believe the MLS game the night before outdrew the US game.

9. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I still do think there'll be a hex match in either columbus or rfk or foxboro, although the baseball in rfk poses a playing surface problem...

looking at the Gold cup venues, the 3 remaining undisclosed hex matches would be:

3 of 4 possibities

dallas
    kansas city
    home depot
    columbus or rfk or foxboro

I think I'd take the top 3....

let the markets in boston and dc get a bit more usmnt hungry...

10. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's about time that the USSF "mixed things up a bit" regarding the venues for WCQ.

Birmingham & Salt Lake City are two GREAT choices IMHO & hope to see more of this in the future. I can't make it to B-ham but will DEFINITELY be in SLC for the CR match.

As far as the final three home WCQs go, Columbus is a "cinch" for Mexico but the other two are "up for grabs" IMO.

I would LOVE to see L.A., Seattle or Portland get one of those but with the Gold Cup getting games in L.A. & Seattle, I think that eliminates both cities. Foxboro, I would guess will get one, and Frisco (Dallas), if the stadium is ready by October (which it should be).

I was a bit nervous about heading to SLC, at first, because of all the "rumors" of it NOT being a fun city but after checking out the web & hearing from some SLC folks, it sounds like it should be fun. Now, I'm PSYCHED, especially since I've never been there or seen Costa Rica in a WCQ!

CAN'T WAIT until June 4!!!

11. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there certainly aren't any Costa Ricans living in Utah, so we don't have to worry about it being a nuetral site.

12. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    It is good the USSF mixes it up, but this is a key match and who knows about SLC? It will be easy for west coast based Ticos to get there. Columbus provided a great atmosphere for beating Mexico the last time, and Columbus and Portland, OR have proved themselves beyond a shadow of a doubt. Ok, so they didn't show for Grenada - the minnow of minnows.

Boston just doesn't provide home field advantage - most east coast cities can't, so for the crucial matches (read Mexico and Costa Rica), we should stick to either Columbus or Portland. SLC will probably have a good, pro US crowd, but it was done for other reasons (and that's cool too) - but it would be better to have one of the lesser opponents in this unproven market.

Birmingham and SLC are seemingly good choices, but B hasn't seen much of the Nats either.... These are WCQs. We shouldn't be rolling the dice on the crowd.

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I can't believe RFK is even metioned for a WCQ, even though it's my home stadium and all.

Sachin

14. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    My wife called her friend in Salt Lake and told her we were going to the game and her friend said her brother's wife is Costa Rican and they'll be at the game too. Dammit. :mad:

Hopefully, that's an isolated incident. Let's hope she's the only Tico there.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, they can't afford to pay the players but they do have $200K for the "real grass"?

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see SLC is going to be broken in as a big-time soccer city in grand fashion, quickly. Good for them.

Should be a heck of a crowd. Safe to say the novelty of pro soccer will not have worn off by then.

17. metrofan_goal23

metrofan_goal23 New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Virginia
    :confused: hey does anyone have an idea why the USSF hasn't scheduled at RFK stadium? I mean it is our nation's capital.

18. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I'm from near Salt Lake City, and I can tell you there is already a big buzz about this game. I predict a sell-out. A couple years ago the Women's Nats drew 20,000 against Ireland in a friendly. We'll get 45,000 (capacity) for a Men's game (double-header with RSL vs. FC Dallas) that has World Cup implications.

19. Ryan1980

Ryan1980 New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Being from South of SLC I would say there is a "buzz" being heard about the game being in SLC. I have family from all over the West Coast coming just to see the game, Since SLC is a Central site for most of the west coast. For the other Home games in the Hex I would love to see portland, OR get one. The last time we played there it was a sellout and I believe it was against Costa Rica, IIRC. It was Pro US and not a Costa Rican in Site.

20. swilso01

swilso01 Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Philly
    You are correct, Tab Ramos sends home the winner (an absolute laser beam) on an assist from Balboa.

IIRC, Utah was up for getting a world cup game back in 94 because of the picturesque 60,000 seat stadium down at BYU. Good to see that big time soccer has finally arrived...

21. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York

[​IMG]

22. TerryDCU

TerryDCU New Member

Feb 9, 2005
    apples and oranges. Is USSF paying for the grass or is SLC paying to get the game? The financing is never as simple as it seems.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    It all comes out of the same pot.

24. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Wow, I'm not even sure where to start or if it is even worth the time... :confused: