Pre-match: USA @ Ukraine. March 5th 2014 *CANCELLED* ...or maybe not

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    i don't think we need to go that far. i think becoming a consistent realistic threat to win (we currently are not), with consistent deep runs past the first knock out round would do it (we currently don't seem to get out of the first knock out round no matter how many voodoo dolls we make).

2. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    To be fair to Williams he has played out of position many times, while Beckermen has not.

DiscoWarrior11, chad and nowherenova repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    AJ at left midfield; a right-footed, center forward who doesn't play the position at his club and didn't excel in his previous league of play until moved centrally. Hopefully JK avoids this brain-wave. Altidore doesn't need another game of terrible service from the left especially if Bedoya is on the right.

4. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, but although I don't remember the specific game, there was at least one where he looked horrible in CM.

5. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who would you rather see at LM? Shea? Hell no. FJ and Castillo at LB? No thanks.

LM isn't tied up - I'd basically rather see what AJ can do there then any other option.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Look, I'm not talking about random fans wearing knock-off jerseys in Hong Kong. That was the professional assessment of our team by the manager of the #18 ranked nation in the world. We are about as obscure a team that finds itself in the top 50 in the world as you're going to find. Somehow, despite everything, I find myself continually amazed at how obscure we remain.

7. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    the opinion of one person is almost irrelevant in the context of our team being "known".

8. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    AJ is right-footed? Everywhere I've seen, he's either listed as "left" or "both."

9. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Exactly...we really have no other viable choice..

Put Fab at LM, then we are are basically conceeeding that left hand flank defensively with Castillo who has shown time and time again he's a liability on defense.

Put Fab at LB, and Shea is really our only other option. Shea is not on good form and has shown time and time again he's inconsistent. I'd rather put AJ out there since he's on great form. I'd prefer him at S.S but we literally have no one else. Shows how important Julian Green is in the long run.

Konut repped this.
  10. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Hmm can't find it and kinda unfair to him as a player..edit: looks like he played CM vs. Jamaica, Antigua and Guatemala but the majority of the time he's been played on the wing :/
    http://www.football-lineups.com/footballer/44496/?t=619&s=549

11. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave up twitter for lent...So....Where's that line-up?

12. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    DiscoWarrior11 and GiallorossiYank repped this.
  13. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Soccer ‏@ussoccer 52s
    #USMNT XI: Howard; Cameron, Onyewu, Brooks, Castillo; Jones, Kljestan; Bedoya, Dempsey(c), Johnson; Altidore. Watch on ESPN2 & UniMas at 2ET

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yeah, but I have a strong suspicion that he and Dempsey are looking a bit like an either/or proposition in the starting lineup this summer. In any case, Dempsey and Altidore both need a chance to break out of their respective doldrums, and that's first priority. I hope we see AJ given at least 25 minutes to see what he can do, though.

16. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    DiscoWarrior11 and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  17. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'm not sure that he WILL, particularly given who we are going to play against, but that is indeed the quandary.

19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I think you're right, but I don't think it should be an either/or proposition.

20. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edgar Castillo, let's see what you got.

gunnerstahl and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Dempsey or AJ?? Sheeeeiiiid. That's not even a realistic either/or propostition. I'm watching AZ vs Liberace in Europa League. He's a nice player, but that special quality is lacking. If Dempsey is still sub-par come May AJ ain't the answer. You change up the tactics.

22. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I still think there's a more than negligible chance that he starts Donovan and Zusi/Bedoya together on the wings, which would push Johnson back to LB. But we can't test that theory today because two of those players are unavailable for this match.

23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Is Liberace a real club name? Because I am imagining their kits to be amazing.

Stogey23, Gorky and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  24. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's a Czech club; Liberec. Just messin about.

25. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Dammit. I really wanted it to be some 2nd Division French club or something.

Sandon Mibut repped this.