USA Roster for 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by krazymunky, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Jozy was practically gassed by halftime in his most recent game at Bursa. Whoever's on the bench will see plenty of playing time.

2. RolexEmbezzled

RolexEmbezzled New Member

May 30, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Is Spector still considered a defender? I thought he was a liability back there for West Ham.

3. Federation Politics

Federation Politics New Member

Nov 17, 2009
    In regard to Chandler, it feels very similar to the Subotic situation. With the rumors of him going to a bigger club and his high Bundesliga rankings, I wouldn't be shocked if he's taking a little time to see what happens. Having a bad personal experience on the German U-15s probably wouldn't keep him from turning his back on Germany forever. It might even give him extra motivation to prove himself with them.

4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Definitely, I'm expecting Dempsey to fill the capacity of moving up to striker if we need a goal around the 70th minute, with Kljestan/Rogers coming on for him. I think that is the entire reason Rogers is here, to give us someone to come in to the match around the 70th and use his speed on the flanks so that Demps can push up. I think Bob is expecting to have to sub Jozy.

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He's been playing in the midfield for them regularly as a starter or sub. He's looked much better going forward in midfield than he has as a defender for them.

Honestly he's been playing pretty out of position for years, I think we'll see him as a midfield sub but we'll see.

6. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    If you can't stand Bornstein and can't understand why he was called, please direct the rest of us to where you keep the lock down LB that the rest of us are overlooking, please.

7. Bigloco

Bigloco Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much your lineup...I actually think you can throw the CBs name's in a hat and pull 2 our for starters...I maaaaaybe go Ream over Goodson...Lichaj scares me a little at left back, but not against anyone save Spain then Mexico in the final.

Strangely enough, I expect Altidore to have a big GC. I think he's due and I know people have questioned his form/starting as of late, but I've watched every game of his since he signed with Bursaspor and I think he's on the verge of scoring some goals.

8. Arkose

Arkose Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am mixed with wondo. He did very well last year, but this year his touches seem really off. I really thought that Cooper was having a great year and is one of the best big men with the ball at his feet. I guess I would have switched those two based on current play.

I'm indifferent to Adu.

Bornstein.....Never liked the guy, how does he keep getting picked?

9. Federation Politics

Nov 17, 2009
    You really want to see Rogers?

Really?

10. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Step back from the ledge there buddy. Nurnberg denied him the opportunity to go or at least "discouraged" it. For a young player, it would be foolish to go against your clubs wishes.

11. Arkose

Arkose Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why hasn't Drew Moore been looked at for our LB problem?

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Did I say that? I said that's why Bob brought him (in his mind). I prefer Jozy to be able to go 90, but that ain't happening I think.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure there is a graph that shows a correlation between playing leftback for the US and being hated. Every LB from Hejduk to Pearce to Bornstein are virulently hated until they stop playing there for some time, whereby they are suddenly the better option.

14. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not like it's a surprise or news that Convey was left off, but they really should have considered him. He definitely should have gotten at least a preliminary call-up during the WC training camp the way he played last season. He's doing pretty well this season as well even if his team is not. He has more versatility than he used to in that you can now play him at outside mid or outside back, positions that USMNT seems to lack in depth.

He's not too old yet, hopefully he'll at least get in on some 2014 qualifying action or something.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Would Nuremberg get away with discouraging a German player from playing in the European Championship? Never. This is not an acceptable explanation. If this happened, Chandler should leave Nuremberg immediately to play for a team that respects their players regardless of national team identity.

Me thinks we have a traitor in our midsts, and Chandler is hedging his bets for Deutchland.

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I honestly think a relatively solid WC saved his entire international career. He came up pretty big not making too many mistakes in his appearances when we needed him.

Not a good player though, obviously.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't have to be good. Just better than the rest of the left back pool which isn't hard.

18. nl319

nl319 New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    adu is definatly an interesting addition, although im far from against it.

no chandler is dissappointing as he played well for us and has loads of potential
    Wondo over bunbury? i disagree with it on a talent level but i think BB wanted at least one veteran striker(not in terms of national caps of course) up top.
    i would have liked to see mixx somewhere but our midfield is pretty deep
    also no guzan is upseting but i cant say any of those keepers dont deserve a spot

with only 3 forwards i expect to see alot of 1 man up top formations.

it also breaks my heart to see holden missing out because of injury, best central mid we have

19. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did ya not see the Onyewu loan move to FC Twente who he has got consistent minutes with...? He has played his most the last 2 months infact. As for Kljestan, he also plays regularly for a good european side in Anderlecht... & Wondo, just another ignorant post putting him down. You cant watch this guy and say he doesnt deserve to be here. He has a world class strike outside the box, great instincts, good positional skill, & good tactical sense. As for Rogers, Adu, & Bornstein I agree, dont see how they are here as much as I try and like BB (if you cant beat em, join em, yh?).

20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It's a shame San Jose hadn't chosen to use Convey as a LB all season until a week or so ago. If he had carried last season's LB form into this one, he would have made a very strong case for his inclusion on this side.

21. Federation Politics

Nov 17, 2009
    That could be the entire reason, maestro.

but...

Seems a bit odd they had no problem releasing him for 2 friendlies in the middle of the season but they take issue with him participating in the GC now when they don't have games for the next 3 months. Plus, I've never heard of a player's club preventing him from taking part in a tournament like this. Not even for the Asian Cup nor Nation's Cup which take place in the middle of the European season - FIFA won't allow it plain and simple.

22. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since they brought Freddy back....I hope he see's quality minutes, lets see what he can do with a good group around him

I think he will pick up a few assists and maybe a goal or two :D

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not against Onyewu being a part of the team, but the fact is that his playing time recently with Twente has been minimal since about April.

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just showing a dedication to the team, lack of selfishness, commitment to fitness in camp would be an improvement.

25. jwat15

jwat15 Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Swap wondo and agu for the start of the game and you have our best possible line up in the roster.

Bunbury>r.Rodgers

If Rodgers won't even play a minute like some of you are saying. Then why not bring in that 4th striker. (now this is where u downplayers talk about form)

Jozy we all know is a given. But we all know his form is poor but is always given a chance to prove himself with the nats. So regardless of bunburys form (which to argue Rogers over teals form would be pretty funny) why not give him the same treatment to get something going with the nats himself. Especially if it's such an irrelevant spot as some think.

Bedoya>adu

Bedoya has been unstoppable and you can't even argue that. Sure adu is doing well too. But one can't hide the fact he is playing 2nd division Turkish football, that's not quite mind blowing stuff. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a chance with the nats again. But in our 2nd biggest tourney of the cycle?! Can't this wait until a friendly at some later date? I hope like hell he proves me wrong.

This argument works well for both Chandler and bedoya who have dreams of doing bigger things in Europe:

What's better than coming in and playing international soccer and preforming well to boost your rep? Sure you risk injury. But if you're good enough to playing for the big dogs in your Europe, they won't turn the other cheek just because you have a sore ankle. I just feel the upside outweighs the downside.

Yelldell deserved the call.

And the obvious, bornstein doesn't deserve the call. Whatever though.