USA roster finally!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Nov 12, 2004.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

2. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Perhaps the lamest conspiracy theory ever.
    ;)

3. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    I read today that Chad Marshall would have been called into camp if he was healthy. The story also said that he turned down an offer from Hamburg to join MLS.

4. Kansassoccer

Kansassoccer Red Card

Aug 6, 2004
    Laguana Beach
    dude this is ridiculous!

5. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Keller is about 95% for sure not coming (Why disrupt him at Southhampton) i'd like to see Matt Reis in goal with the Nats.

6. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many seem to think this is a terrible roster. I think this roster is a testament to our ever-increasing player pool. This may not be the best possible side Arena could have picked from what's available out there (which will always be subjective), but like hell if I'm going to believe somebody when they say this roster sucks. There is a lot of potential on this roster, and I am excited to watch them play. And a little perspective is needed when you consider that we are already qualified for the next round.

Bruce is still the man.

7. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    NUTMEG STARTING LINEUP

---------Johnson----Ching---------

--------Martino---Donovan--------

--------Clark-----Dempsey--------

Convey--Mastro--Onyewu--Albright

---------------Keller--------------

ok, I read way more than I post, and normally I think you're on the mark, but this starting XI seems really off.

no way does mcbride not start. no way does the midfield include three newbies.

my guess is your defense is pretty off the mark as well.

can I counter with a proposed starting XI, no, for I'm of the thought that many of those players mentioned are in camp for experience only, and we've yet to see or read everyone who is going to be in camp and possibly on the game day roster.

ej, mcbride, donovan, convey, & onyewu are my only predictions, after that, this is wide open.

8. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    sure you would, but over cannon, and possibly a late howard arrival?

9. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Read it for yourself.

Marshall rules MLS - Press-Enterprise

From the story...

10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    The problem with your thesis here is that you only name 5 starters, and you need six other players on the field, which will necessitate some of Nutmeg's changes.

Personally, I think Nutmeg's back line is the best possible option. Although I'd be surprised if McBride came over here to not play, one never knows, and Bruce and Coleman may have agreed to not have him play ninety so he'll be fresh for his usual offensive sub role by the weekend. The midfield is where I think you make your best relative point - I don't see a Clark/Dempsey d-mid pairing as being "Bruce-like" -- I believe we'll have at least one more experienced midfielder out there, be it Sanneh, or Mastroeni (instead of at CB), or Ralston.

11. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    I like the roster. It's good to see Albright on the team. Nobody really cares much for him but I've grown to appreciate the effort he gives and under Sigi he was a real presence from the right back spot. Sampson kind of screwed everything up for everyone when he got here, so Albright's form from the first half of the season is probably a better measure to the type of player he is than how he looked when Sampson was coach. Except for the home game against Colorado, when he had the two assists, he was in a funk like the rest of the team.

I'm surprised to see Ryan Suarez on the team. I doubt he gets into the game. Suarez is solid but I think he still needs a lot of polishing.

12. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Matt Reis??? :mad:

What about Kevin Hartman? Reis couldn't hold Hartman's jock here and now he's on the national team??

13. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    true on needing six more players, but that's why I pointed out that I'm not predicting a starting XI because to do so w/o knowing for sure who is there and is going to be there is pointless.

I still disagree on the backline, convey-mastro-onyewu-albright? no way. in fact I'd bet big against it.

14. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy Simba. It's not like Arena told Brad, Kasey and Tim to all f*** off permanently.

15. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gibbs is there-- You can clearly see him in the EJ video (at least I'm pretty sure-- I don't have the greatest internet speed). I also think I got visual confirmation on Pope, Dempsey and Landon. Beyond that, I couldn't tell you who's in the video.

16. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oooohhh aaahhhh

Clark and Dempsey will be killer.

17. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    A Goalkeeper doesn't have to hold a jock, only the ball to be good. That is why Reis is there and Clorox-head is not.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I can confirm that Cory Gibbs is in camp with the national team. Someone on another thread said the name of the team hotel; I looked up the number on google, called it and asked for his room. No answer, for those that care, and I'm kinda glad as I don't know what I would have said.

(Uh, are you there?)

So, Magpie confirmed that Twellman is in camp. Numerous others have seen Sanneh on training videos. Safe to say he's there. And, Gibbs is in camp. The Boston Globe and Rob Stone said 25 players have been called in. Soccer America released the names of 22. Add Sanneh, Twellman and Gibbs and you have your roster.

And, once you get over the hysteria, it's actually not a bad one. Granted, there ain't much depth, but it's pretty solid.

Here's a hypothetical starting lineup:

----------------Keller
    Albright--Onyewu--Sanneh--Gibbs
    ---------------Mastroeni
    ---Ralston-----------------Convey
    ---------------Donovan
    -----------McBride-----Johnson

I admit I'm not thrilled with our right flank. Albright is just a defensive liability and Ralston, while a great MLS player, has usually been average with the national team.

But, we all wanted to see Gooch start, he is. Sanneh gives him a veteran partner in central defense. Gibbs has already started a qualifer or two at left back. This gives him experience there and doesn't leave us with a real novice defender. (If I'm Jamaica, I attack the right as Gibbs will be strong defensively.)

Mastroeni has started in a World Cup. No complaints about him at D-mid. Donovan is our best player and he's playing the position that lets him touch the ball the most. No qualms there. Convey's best position right now is left mid. He's good pushing forward, combines well with Donovan - always has - and with Gibbs behind him, doesn't have much defensive responsibility, which is good since it ain't his strong suit, either. I'm comfortable with Bobby at left mid. So, I like the midfield, especially centrally.

Up top, it will likely be McBride, who has scored in two World Cups, and the young pup EJ, whom we all want to see. This pairing is similar to Gooch and Sanneh. McB will do a lot of the dirty work for EJ and I think it will be a very good partnership. If not McB, it'll be Ching, who has already scored in two qualifiers, including against Jamaica. Can't complain if he's in.

The only novices in this lineup are Gooch and EJ, with three sub appearances with the nats between them, and Albright at right back, which is my biggest cause for concern. But, the rest have played in qualifiers before and five of them have played in a World Cup.

As for the bench, Cannon has been the best American goalie this year, period. His year was unbelievable and I have no worries if he has to come in for Keller. None.

Califf and Suarez in the back, I admit, isn't ideal. But, when last seen with the nats, Califf was scoring a goal to save our bacon against Haiti and while its been forgotten, in his only appearance with the nats, Suarez actually had a strong game against Wales. Granted, his MLS form has been inconsistent since then - that's my biggest qualm with Suarez; some games he looks great, others he makes a bone-headed play - but in his only game with the nats, he got the job done and that can't be argued. If he can hang with Wales, I'm OK if he comes off the bench for a bit against Jamaica.

Plus, in the game in Kingston, the Jamaicans used their size and athleticism against us. Califf and Suarez are both strong in the air and that will help negate that.

Further, while I doubt it will happen, if Arena dresses Spector, I won't worry if he has to come in in a close game. The kid showed great composure in his EPL games and if he can handle the crowds at Old Trafford, I think he'll be OK against the Reggae Boyzz. (I'd actually prefer to see him start at RB, but I doubt it happens. Too many other young players already being used.)

The MF options are Mullan, Clark, Dempsey, Martino and Corrales. Martino and Dempsey had great MLS years. In his last game with the nats, back in the summer of 03 against Cameroon, Martino had a great game before getting whacked down. He's a lot stronger and tougher now and I think he'll be more effective with the physical play now. Clark and Dempsey are future nats and if the circumstances are right, I'm cool if they have to play against Jamaica. I just don't see Dempsey being stressed by it all.

Mullan I've always liked so I admit a bias here but he's a scrapper. If he has to replace Ralston for a spell or give us a spark in the attack, I think he can. Corrales doesn't do much for me, admitedly, but he is solid defensively and if the US is getting hacked, he won't hesitate to come in and bring the pain. (Nor will Suarez or Califf.)

Up top, Twellman and Ching or McBride, whichever doesn't start, are nice options to have on your bench. In his last nat appearance, Twellman made a difference, almost scoring one goal against Mexico then getting his head on a ball that got to Pope for the game-winner. That appearance earned him another look. The others I've already covered.

So, when I look at it rationally and break it down, I'm not as concerned about this lineup as some. Not perfect, and not without areas of concern, but certainly more than enough talent to eliminate Jamaica if Panama can take care of business.

One thing that I think is clear is that Bruce has a long memory and is rewarding some seldom used guys for stuff they did a while ago with the nats but who he hasn't had a chance to call in till now because he had to use the guys who are ahead of them on the depth chart. Califf, Suarez, Martino, Twellman. All those guys had good games or made something happen the last time they played with the nats. It may have been a while ago, but that last performance earned them another look in camp and Bruce is giving it to them.

And, that is a good coaching move and the kind of gesture that gets the players to go to the mat for you and once again shows that player management is an Arena strength.

Sure, I may be rationalizing the whole thing and he may not use my lineup. Or, maybe things don't work out the way I think they will. And maybe Gibbs and Twellman and Sanneh aren't in camp and maybe Spector, Gooch, Suarez and Califf are gonna start in defense. But, I think it's better than people think and it's gonna be OK.

19. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Hartman's been one of the best keepers in MLS since he became a regular. He's never been considered as national team material because of Keller and Friedel and Howard, which is fine. But when guys like Cannon and Busch and stinkin' Reis are called up, then I have to question it and wonder why Hartman's not there. He played as good as any other keeper not named Cannon down the stretch yet he's not there. If it wasn't for him, the Galaxy would have struggled just to get in the playoffs. Look at the last five minutes of the Rapids game. He made so many clutch saves it was amazing.

And if Califf, Suarez and Albright are on the team, that should be even more of a reason to call up Hartman.

I guess Bruce has his reasons.

20. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    LOL!

21. Melloblkmon

Melloblkmon Member

Sep 11, 2000
    At Home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying I want Matt Reis to be in the final 22 in two years, I just think it would be interesting to see how he worked with the defense.

And as far as Soul Man is concerned...Why are you so angry that I suggested Reis get a game. Hartmann has has a game or two in the past. Two years from now it won't matter anyhow as either Keller or Howard will be starting for us if we qualify for Germany. What would it hurt for Reis to start this game. It's not like Jamaica would score more than 2-3 goals on any of our MLS keepers.

22. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Well, it's not that I'm :mad: necessarily. I just would like to see Hartman get a shot. It's not really a position we need depth at, so ultimately it doesn't really matter, does it?

Jamaica won't put two past any of our keepers, that much I agree with. Dan Popik wouldn't allow two goals to those guys.

23. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    LOL! Can you please try Russell now. :D

24. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Alright guys c'mon. Marlon King, Damani Ralph, Ricardo Fuller, and Fabian Taylor were all good players last time I checked. If there is one thing Jamaica can do effectively, it's score goals. Don't get cocky with these guys. Suarez and Califf trying to defend their forwards is a disaster waiting to happen.

25. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.