USA roster finally!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    I may be wrong but I'm assuming Bruce is running closed camps.

2. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Just heard back from the Revs: X-rays on Twellman's foot were negative, and he's in camp with the team at present.

The Magpie

3. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Also, simplistic analogies can be made to apply to everything.

I'm sure he has a home and can feed himself and his family, so he has already won. Enjoy it as it is. No reason to think or plan ahead.
    Absolutely no reason to try and make his position in life more secure, save up for college, retirement, get the kids stuuf they like, or himself.

Just enjoy everything as it is now and forget about trying to improve things. What's the point...right? Can't be improved and everything is perfect.

4. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a lot of people here are overreacting to this roster. I'm just happy that we are not going to see Walker and we will get a chance to see gooch and spector in the same defense. The rest are filler as far as I'm concerned.

To everyone calling for more Europe-based players to be added: you're way off base. This game means little and at this time of year there is no reason to bring in a whole bunch of Europe players when we can fill in the holes with MLS guys. Would a little more experimentation be good? Maybe, but then many of the posts here want less and are calling for bringing in guys whose skills BA is well aware of. This seems like an ok balance and I'd be surprised if we didn't see a few additions by gametime.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Says it all. :)

6. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Yes, my guess is that it's an incomplete roster. It would be odd to call in four keepers, and only five backs (although I suppose you could count Convey as a back).

7. randall_pink

randall_pink New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Tampa, via ATL
    This roster is not right.

USSoccer.com has EJ and sanneh and a few other guys pretty obviously in the video, so this SA article has to be misinformation.

I halfway wonder if this one wasnt done just for laughs. I certainly have had a few reading the posts on this thread this morning...

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    They are indeed closed to the public and are being held at the Crew training grounds in Obetz which aren't the easiest place to go watch practices unless you are allowed on the grounds.

9. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lineup doesn't seem right because so many accounts have placed Twellman, Sanneh, and Russell in camp. Spector was even listed on the wrong team. I don't believe this roster but it doesn't outrage me as much as others on this board. Those who seem to be upset over this roster have been the ones who have been upset at every roster. They wanted Dempsey, Spector, and no Frankie and Cobi. They got it and they are still upset.

It seems believeable to me that this roster could be put out to confuse the Jamiacans. If true, I don't agree with it for 2 reasons. The first is that it is pretty low. Either put out an accurate roster or don't release anything. The second reason I don't agree with it is that it isn't necessary. Before our first game against them in August, they believed that our best player was Peter Vermes. Jamaica's scouting reports seem to suggest they are confused enough as it is and they don't need any more help from Bruce.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    This isn't an "official" release from US Soccer.

This is Ridge trying to get hits to Soccer America's website.

11. mtkstriker

mtkstriker New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Montauk,New York
    Where is Gaven and Russell?

12. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that Russell is in camp and Gaven is probably training with our u20's because I think he will be the captain of the team.

13. OmiKell

OmiKell New Member

May 2, 2004
    Tarrytown/Luxemburg
    I hope indeed it's not official.
    There is no reason to let reserve players to play, even if they're playing for a brand. Reserve matches are pointless.

Also, who in the world would swap an entire team? You test new individualities by swapping max 4 players at a time. It would have been interesting to see Gooch with Pope, not with a teammate without match form.

14. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    According to the thread in Yanks Abroad, https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150198&page=1&pp=15, Russell may be hurt:

If Russell is hurt, that really sucks for the guy. The only other time he's been called into camp -- for the friendly against Denmark -- he also got hurt.

15. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Apologies if this has already been discussed in this thread and I just missed it, but does anyone know why Pope is missing? Is Pope injured?

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since Sanneh was obvious in the videos, he's obviously there. But since the training is in Columbus and Tony lives there, he's got nothing else to do, so maybe he thought he'd go hang out with the team and do a little training - but not an official call-up. Could be one explanation.

But I still think this roster isn't real. I mean, Ramiro Corrales for crying out loud.

17. randall_pink

randall_pink New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Tampa, via ATL
    Good point. Tony is still rehabbing, in effect, and he might as well come out and get a run in... Anyone know if Arena or Myernick is running training right now? Video showed GM doing a session, but maybe BA is back now...

Suarez isnt a national team calibre defender either, unless they want someone to go out and get one of the other teams forwards injured.

That guy is like Brian Bliss or desmond armstrong terrible.

18. Marchetti

Marchetti Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Chicago->STL->Denver
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Spector plays for ManYoo, not Citeh.

19. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    you gotta think that like sanneh, cunningham is out there just to keep warm. However, by calling in suarez to let him practice and not chad marshall? or martino? Again, camps are 25 people and the sa article had 22 names so that leaves room for gaven, russell, and sanneh or russel sanneh and twellman but albright and suarez and corralles? gagme!

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Marshall has a cast on his foot. It'd be tough for the kid to be of any use...

21. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Below is how I'd rate the depth chart, assuming the accuracy of this report, plus some players we know are in camp. For those who are griping about the Corrales inclusion, remember that Arena has called him into camp before, and also that he actually hasn't played terribly for SJ this year. He's made the AAXI list a couple of times, and has been the archetypal professional in San Jose. Arena likes him. Maybe just as a camp player, but he likes him.

GOALKEEPERS
    Kasey Keller (Tottenham).
    Joe Cannon (Colorado)
    Matt Reis (New England)
    Jon Busch (Columbus)

DEFENDERS
    Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado)
    Tony Sanneh (Columbus)
    Oguchi Oneywu (Standard Liege)
    Jonathan Spector (Manchester Utd)
    Bobby Convey (Reading)
    Chris Albright (Los Angeles)
    Dan Califf (Los Angeles)
    Ryan Suarez (Los Angeles)

MIDFIELDERS
    Landon Donovan (San Jose)
    Clint Dempsey (New England)
    Ricardo Clark (MetroStars)
    Brian Mullan (San Jose)
    Kyle Martino (Columbus)
    Steve Ralston (New England)
    Ramiro Corrales (San Jose)

FORWARDS
    Eddie Johnson (Dallas)
    Brian Ching (San Jose)
    Brian McBride (Fulham)
    Taylor Twellman (New England)
    Jeff Cunningham (Columbus)

NUTMEG STARTING LINEUP

---------Johnson----Ching---------

--------Martino---Donovan--------

--------Clark-----Dempsey--------

Convey--Mastro--Onyewu--Albright

---------------Keller--------------

For all the griping going on about the roster, you put that lineup on the field and you've got one of the most talented, athletic, BIG, and skilled teams the US has ever assembled. That team could beat Jamaica.

Not only that, but with a few changes based on some development I expect to happen over the next couple of years, I would take this team to Germany:

--------Johnson--Donovan--------

---------Beasley---Gaven---------

--------Clark-----Dempsey--------

O'brien---Spector--Onyewu---Dolo

---------------Keller--------------

22. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Good post, but this lineup is a recipe for disaster against Jamaica. They are a very tall team, so we can't afford to play a relatively short central defender like Pablo Mastroeni. Califf or Sanneh will probably get the start opposite Onyewu.

23. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Personally I see nothing wrong with a starting XI that looks like this:

GK: Whatever flava now that Keller is probably flying out
    D: Convey at left back (more time there is good), Spector and Onyewu (excellent, young but should be quality), El Gato at right back
    MF: Mastro at d-mid, Donovan at roaming right-mid, Martino at a-mid and Dempsey on the left.
    F: McBride and Johnson

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, a weak press can have its upside, where weak coaching does not.

After all, it's a relatively short leap from a pressthat finds out things the coach is trying to keep secret to out and out harassment of the variety you see in the European press. Besides, if Arena was sleeping witht he same woman that the USSF director was, would you really want to know it? I wouldn't.

A 'benevolent dictator' coach also has the positive side effect of providing a single point of blame when things are not going well, since you know no one else has the power to inflict some of his roster preferences on Arena. That's not always so obvious.

25. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Please - for God's sake - Bill Belichek was able to keep under wraps the fact taht his best RB was going to be out and the nation is obsessed with football. You mean to tell me that the New England press was so small he could keep this under wraps.

As a coach you search your opponents strengths and weaknesses and try to exploit them. The less you know the less ability you have to do that. Bruce Arena is not employed to keep all you jackasses happy b/c you know the roster three months in advance. He is employed to win and if his silence keeps Jamaica guessing then he has done his job for the day.