USA Roster against Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GiallorossiYank, Aug 4, 2011.

1. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We only need one "ball winner" in the midfield on most occasions I think. Having two messes up the spacing a lot of times.

Though, Mexico may not play though the midfield and attack our fullbacks again.

2. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    I question his desire for a "possession" based team. We don't really have the players for it, and frankly I don't think Klinsmann has ever shown a preference for it. I mean "possession" in the modern, Barca/Spain model.

When you look at his Germany teams, and the way Germany plays since his mini revolution, they aren't possession oriented. When they beat Argentina in 2006 to advance to the semis, they had 42% of possession. When they lost to Italy, 43%. Even when they beat Ecuador 3-0 in the group stage they only had 43%.

In 2010 (obviously after Juergen's time, but this was his vision, after all), even when they tore apart Argentina 4-0, they had 47%. Hell, England of all teams had more possession than Germany, despite the absolute shellacking they gave the Three Lions.

They often have more than weaker opponents, but the model is nowhere near "possession based" in the way that most people mean it in 2011.

3. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    I agree entirely. Perhaps my biggest tactical gripe with Bob was his reliance on the 2 DM model when we really should have been more aggressive, especially in his first two years.

Against possession teams with more talent than us, like Mexico, the much reviled "Empty Bucket" is actually an entirely acceptable and intelligent choice. I'm not suggesting that Juergen go full on Bob next week, but there's a middle ground between three defensives zeroes (Adu, LD, Torres) in the midfield and the empty bucket.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Yes. Dynamic and attacking don't necessarily mean the slow tempo-controlling, find the open guy making a diagonal run after 10 passes kind of possession game. And if our academy system and youth development mentality were to be revolutionized today, we're still 10 years at least away from having any kind of success with that sort of system.

Germany over the past 5 years or so has been a quick tempo, attack from all over the length and width of the pitch kind of team.

5. StarvingGator

StarvingGator Member

Jun 22, 2007
    The Hospital Bar
    Indeed they have been, and FWIW I've been hardcore pushing that model for the US for years. It's exciting, fun to watch and when you have the players for it, extremely effective.

As we stand today it's an infinitely easier adjustment to go to the Germany model than it is to go to the Spain model, which would take 10 years at the earliest. In reality it probably would never happen and would just crash and burn.

6. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both the National Team, and MLS have been heading in that direction for a while (until Bob decided to play a slow build up possession game post World Cup).

7. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This I completely agree. After the World Cup, it was painfully obvious that MLS teams were moving in this direction while Bob Bradley was fixated on this system.

It's funny, because Klinsi's new system may be more of a fit from the natural development I am seeing in MLS.

8. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yay, Edson Busdle!

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our CD is so poor that they need two guys in front because they don't step up well.

We can go with a single CDM if our wingbacks play tight,conceding flank attack.

Another alternative is the old Arena "skinny diamond" :

___Back 4____

____Jones____

Bradley(Holden)______Torres

______Donovan_____

Dempsey______Agudelo

10. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I'm not conceding that Mexico has more talent than us. They may have more talent than the teams BB put together but this is a new day and we're starting even again with some of the BB problem children watching on TV.

I don't expect instant results but I do have faith that Klinsmann will make us competitive and I never had that feeling under BB

11. RedBaron

RedBaron Member

Sep 9, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't suggesting a "Barca-type" approach; rather, one that values much more highly retention of the ball...relatively-speaking with respect to the previous regime..and a focus on forcing the opponent to counteract what the U.S. does as opposed to the other way around. That to me renders even a two-DM model unlikely. My fundamental point is that it seems pretty clear that Klinsmann wants to lean much more heavily on those with the more nuanced technical game and less on the traditional athletic types; of course, he may be forced to re-evaluate that after the first few friendlies but he seems pretty committed to this philosophy which regardless of the tools with which he currently has to work I think is the right one.

12. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Yes, there is certainly way to focus on retaining more possession without being "Barca".

13. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    That a prick that guy was. Not a huge John Champion fan either. He's too full of the drama for me.

14. Dooglas

Dooglas Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I tried my formation on FIFA recently and I beat spain, and brazil twice in online play.

Maybe i should try to be the asst coach.

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Re: Roster for Mex

Just as an interesting FYI, Chandler was listed as "questionable" for his match today...but he's starting.

16. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Do really risk Chandler vs mexico? You know its going to be very physical unfriendly.

17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Well, no but that's not the point. The point is that he was being withheld so that he could recover at Nurnberg...yet he's starting today. I don't have a problem with him staying at his club for the beginning of the season but I thought others might find this news interesting since he's obviously not THAT injured.

18. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    So you think it's wise to shuttle a player who's nursing an injury from Europe to America and back within a week? They want him to take it easy. Makes total sense, and speaks volumes about how the club feels about him.

EDIT: Nevermind, misread your post :)

19. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it a 3-5-2 and you beat Spain like 11-9?

20. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One time on FIFA, I won the Champions League with Grimbsy Town. I did bring in some hired help, Dempsey, Eddie Johnson and Freddy Adu.

21. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My spider sense was right, Chandler started today. Complete BS, USSF/Klinsi should go ballistic.

22. StevenTacle

StevenTacle New Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Germany MNT don't want him, so I don't know why he keeps injuring himself.

23. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    File a complaint with Fifa.

24. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya, Klinsi needs to talk to him. Tell him to make a choice: US now, or hold out for the German call up. This is complete BS.

25. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point is he is not very injured. If he can play a club game, he can play a FIFA date game.

Me or USSF? Because that is actually the remedy, but it might not be needed if someone grows a pair...