USA now blamed for the decline in Brazilian football

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by DoctorD, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Keeper 77

Keeper 77 New Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Denton
    Clearly, the soci-economic impact fo the US's stance toward free trade with Brazil....who am I kidding Rivaldo's just a pu$$y.

On the other hand I have read this guys article twice and still can't tell what the hell he is talking about. Corrupt Brazilian government or US style consumerism or US style win at all cost attitude? Don't they teach you how to get a clear message across in journalism class?

2. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I get it now. Brazilians aren't supposed to actually play to win. That was the point of the article!

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haves v have nots is exclusively a USA thing? Uh-huh.

4. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    They're black. Of course not.

I occaisonally feel like I pick up a little subtle racism concerning the Brazilian team from time to time. The adjectives (such naturals, such child-like enthusiasm) sound an awful lot like the cloudy racist language used by American sportswriters about black baseball players like Willie Mays.

5. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    This actually has a grain of truth to it. The West Indian market for athletes is pretty thin, and basketball's grabbing a bigger share at the expense of cricket.

Of course, the biggest reason is that Windian cricket is run by idiots.

6. The Lion Keeper

The Lion Keeper New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    In the 18. Dallas

Give us all a break and stop your whining.

Tell us all a more politically correct adjective of a naturally good athlete
    and a player that seems to love the game he plays just as a child would.
    To me these seem to be a very nice compliments. I guess these would be
    acceptable compliments for a white player though, correct? If its an o.k.
    comment for me, it's an o.k. comment for you (given you're black). If your
    not, mind your own business.

7. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Lionkeeper, except for your opener, you had me with you right up until the "if your not Black, then mind your own business part".

The guy was sharing his thoughts. I'm not sure that it has too much to do with "political correctness" or "whining".

Why does it matter if he is Black or not? When our German friend had a comment about the US getting blamed for the decline in Brazilian football, no one told him to shut up because he isn't American and the comments didn't directly affect him. Just because you yourself may not belong to a particular group, doesn't mean that you can't voice an opinion. You know that.

C'mon Bro. Please think about it a minute. Let me put it to you this way. That would be like me not sharing my opinion that White people can very often hypocritically get killed for stuff that a Black or Hispanic guy can say, when they are saying the same damn thing, sometimes using the same exact words. So since I'm not White, does that mean that I can't offer any opinions or concerns about what I perceive to be racism against White guys.

Think about it. Do I have to be a White guy to say that I think that White guys may get a bad rap alot of times when they don't deserve it? Or should I just "mind my business" because I'm not a White guy? Is it me just being "PC" and "whining"? Because I'm not White, it doesn't directly affect me, so what right do I have to comment.

You don't seem to care for "PC" too much. Neither do I. But while you are using a "double standard" in your example, you might want to remember that you closed with a double standard (if your'e Black then the guy could comment. If he wasn't he should just shut up).

I'm not trying to grill you. I'm just pointing out how easy it is for those of us who hate "PC just for the sake of being PC" to make similar types of misteps sometimes. Your'e right. People should usually get the benefit of the doubt. He didn't go off, screaming about clear cut racism. He just communicated some concerns or thoughts.

Like I said in the beginning. I agreed with the rest of your post and while I feel that the guy maybe was being a bit too sensitive, you came down on him pretty hard...

Much respect Lion Keeper.

8. The Lion Keeper

The Lion Keeper New Member

Mar 11, 2005
    In the 18. Dallas
    O.K., I retract the "mind your own business part". That was written
    with too much emotion. I'm a little sick and tired of people trying to make a
    problem where there is none.

9. yankiboy

yankiboy New Member

Sep 2, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    I feel ya. I can relate. Thanks for not just assuming that I was trying to slam you. You took my post in the true spirit that it was intended and that was very, very cool.

What we NEED to be talking about is the REAL CONSPIRACY--US IMPERIALISM WILL BE THE DEATH OF MAN U. AND THE PREMIERSHIP! STOP MALCOLM GLAZER AT ALL COSTS! All MAN U fans send your fincancial contributions to:

Attention: Yankiboy
    THE MAN U SUPPORTERS LEGAL DEFENSE FUND
    PO Box 123
    Laurel, MD 12034

Because of US and international tax codes, your financial contribution is NOT tax deductible. We also reserve the right to utilize the funds as we see fit.
    :D

Just clowning... But seriously, send me your money...

10. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOL..england66 is using his famous english humor..:)
    this is what this board need now and then...

11. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    But...."I'm" the one that made the joke! :)

12. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

och, Anthony....sorry....i forgot you...it is maybe because
    i have not met you so many times here...i suppose we write
    at different threads....i apologize ....
    i will read your jokes next time:)
    so tell me some joke about US soccer...

your bltleo
    from germany

13. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, I think everyone remembers them. lol. I think if there's any reason I don't follow the nba, though will sometimes get into March Madness, is because of the 88-92 Detroit Pistons. Sure Isiah Thomas, was a slickster. But if I wanted to see such a choppy physical brutish game I could just go to my nearest bball court and watch a none fluid game. If the nba teams actually ever reach the intensity of march madness (which ain't gonna happen until they bring relegation/promotion - dont worry they will. luckily for basketball - its the 2nd international sport in the world)

Yeah but when Maradona did it, he was a 'rebel beyond the law' 'bandit' and scored it only a few games away from the world cup final. The fact that he got away w/something that doesn't even get allowed in Under-8 leauges speaks volumes to his luckiness.

As for ppl complaining about 8-1-1 formations, bunkerball and PK matches (ala USA 94') that's b/c its BORRRRING! I see two more USA 94' PK tournaments, I won't see many after that. You have too many of those and ppl will start playing beer-pong as an olympic sport. :rolleyes: