USA now blamed for the decline in Brazilian football

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by DoctorD, Jul 11, 2005.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tim Vickery found the first leg of the Copa Libertadores final boring.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_football/4670865.stm

His conclusion?

2. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be under my desk, because the sky is falling

3. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    >>In a country whose income distribution is among the most unfair in the world, the import of EPL -style consumer culture has further emphasized the brutal division between a few haves and the vast majority of have-nots. The consequence of this for football is clear. The end result, victory, is much more important that the means used to achieve it.<<

There...now it makes sense :)

4. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Clearly this journalist has never really had a steady diet of Brazilian League football from 98-2005. Some matches in Brasil are absolutely loaded with fouls, so much so that it can become near farcical.

However I think the better analogy would be what happened to basketball in the 90's. IMO the New York Knick's hurt basketball then with some pretty ugly, rough, and hard-nosed basketball. It wasn't conducive really to finess games and if you were a high-flyer, you went up at your own risk because dirty players like Oakley would take their legs out. I think that was what he meant with the 'like the USA' comment in terms of wanting to win at all costs.

Take it as you will. I don't necessarily agree wiht it, and maybe that's not what he meant, but I suppose it's all open to interpretation.

5. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is soooooooo much crap I can't even finish this sen....

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I honestly don't think it can be interpreted any other way besides: The USA exports a win-at-all costs mentality and this mentality is infiltrating the Brazilian psyche and even hurting the Brazilian game.

In other words, he doesn't know anything about the Brazilian league.

7. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I wonder if he found the semi finals boring. Those same two teams were involved, weren't they? Maybe he has some socio-economic theories on why they performed so admirably then.

8. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    Open to interpretation? Your kidding right? I will no more take responsibility for the problems that exist in Brazil's football league than I would for the problems that exist in the english leagues. Your way to smart to play the role of apologist for this guy.

9. TheYank

TheYank New Member

May 3, 2005
    Manhattan, KS
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Total bollocks

10. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They need to get baclk to the love of the game, like Chelsea.

11. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    Exactly, you can't crow about the level of passion you have for football then blame it on the US when it suits you...

12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those were the days...

[/sigh]

13. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Oh yeah...

The Oak is legend

14. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

damned straight. Oak-Man would teach some of these whippersnappers a thing or three.

15. ChuckA

ChuckA New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    OK:

Win - 3 points
    Tie - 1 point

Exactly how many points do they give for flair? This isn't figure skating.

16. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Little known fact: the presence of American servicemen in postwar Italy was responsible for the rise in catenaccio.

17. Red Star

Red Star Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Fayetteville, AR
    Shoot, I did not know that. I thought I was knowledgeable but I guess that you learn something new everyday.

18. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    You know, with everyone so concerned about the haves and havenots in soccer you would think people would be more open to a salary cap...

19. WarrenAbao

WarrenAbao New Member

Jul 7, 1999
    Grand Prairie, Tex.
    The immigration of several of Greg Louganis' Greek ancestors to the Italian peninsula introduced Romans to the art of diving...

20. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    the man is very confused. I really don't see what a "kicking lumps out of each other" win at all costs mentality has to do with US culture, unless he regards Wimbledon's similar brutal underhand tactics in the 80s to be a result of the A-Team and Knight Rider appearing on British screens at about that time.

To be fair, if he really deserves someone to be fair to him, he stacked much more of it with Brazilian political corruption than the US. No, he doesn't deserve to be given a fair treatmeny. It sounds like he wrote a nice piece of the bad government of Brazil, which no paper wanted, and then spun into into a sports story instead.

21. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    If Greg is any indication, that's not the only thing "Greek" they introduced...

22. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Satellite TV coverage of the NBA has been blamed for the demise of the West Indies cricket team.

23. filiusterrae

filiusterrae Member

Aug 16, 2001
    now, now, give credit where credit is due: the Pistons surely played no small role there :)

24. BorrachoNJ

BorrachoNJ New Member

Apr 8, 2001
    NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ
    i've written to bbc several times to complain about this moron. his articles, if you wanna call them that, are like journal entries...
    i think the fucqer just parties down there and writes his crap from internet surfing.

25. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Especially the English and the Scottish leagues.. There's some American influence that wouldn't hurt..
    Who here would not be able to name the 2 teams with a shot at the Scottish title and the 3 with a shot at the English title next season? ;)

Then they will argue that parody is not a good thing.. They need their super teams..
    I thought parody is what the author was talking about..
    So confusing.. (jk)