USA-Mexico Feb 7,2007 Glendale Arizona

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Galaxian, Dec 14, 2006.

1. westsidepunk

westsidepunk Member

May 31, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    Anyone want to venture a guess as to the number of people purchasing tickets for the sams army section?

I have seen what some of the local groups put together when the national team comes to town for a game and would like something like that here. It may take some effort though. I believe in Phoenix we are disadvantaged in having no local supporters group to help take the lead on things. I'm guessing that some of us here are going to have to pick up the batton.

If some Arizona/Southwest supporters wanted to organize a tailgate and maybe a post game party are their any toes we might want to keep from stepping on?

Also, if a group were to be formed to put something like this together, who here would be willing to help out with organization? The list starts with me. Lets add to it.

2. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so now Sams Army section has been designated as of yet. I am slightly worried , because I dont want to wait and not buy tickets tomorrow morning then end up not getting them , but im comforted by the fact that Sams Army will get a section , and we will all be able to get tickets fairly easily for the section .

replying to Westsidepunk, im not too sure about the numbers we can expect , but I know a good amount of people travelling for this match , so there should be a good amount in the SA section. Ill be there with two others.

3. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried emailing Teresa Oles at USSoccer this weekend about a Sams Army section but the email was sent back to me.

I will be bringing AT LEAST 10 people I believe. I think we'll make the drive Tuesday night, stay at a friend's in Tucson, and come up Wednesday mid-day for a fine dose of tailgating and partying. No burritos!!!!! :)

And remember, I still have some 3x5 ft flags left over from the World Cup, so if any of you guys want some let me know.

4. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    just wanted to subscribe to this thread.....

so is plan b to buy club level seats tomorrow if Sam's Army doesn't announce a section or what........

5. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Palermo , I think we will definitely have enough people for a good Sams Army section , I will have three .

I also sent an email to USsoccer ,but I havent receiced anything back yet. The way the Sams Army website is worded , I think there definitely will be a Sams Army section , and we should all be able to get tickets.
    '' Ticket info to be posted very soon...check back here. ''

6. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that with the Denmark match they announced the SA section after the general sale , and I had no problem getting tickets. I know this is Mexico , but no Mexican fans are going to be standing with us in this section , so tickets will be easier to come by.

7. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    true, the Mexican fans in Phoenix have always bought on gameday in the past for other games

8. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I hope Galaxian is right. Mexican fans tend to have a higher walk up attendance number than many other national teams, including the U.S. But they all don't walk up and buy an hour before the game. Ten or fifteen percent, max.
    The USSF could be nice to its hard core fans and put one sentence on its website: "There will be a Supporters' Section, details to follow." But they don't do that.
    The Dallas US-Mexico game drew 40,000 in 2004, 60,000 in Houston in 2003. I would expect the Phoenix fame to sell out because there are a lot more Mexicans in the US now and they have more money.One of the underlying forces driving the ticket sales is the not great relations between the US and Mexico. That hasn't gotten any better since 2004 either.
    Someone asked about security. There is a potential for a bad incident in a game between the two countries. My guiess is security will be good and there will be no real trouble, although American fans should be prepared to have stuff like beer and refuse thrown at them if the US scores. Which we will do.

9. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, it's 6 pm and still no word on Sam's tickets. Thought they would have learned something from the World Cup ticket fiasco. Apparently not. We plan to buy regular tix tomorrow and will wander to Sam's if it materializes.

10. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking I will wait for the SA section . I'm almost positive that there will be a section , and that it shouldnt be TOO hard to get tickets.

For those of you that remember , were there US supporters sections at the matches in 2003 and 2004 in Houston and Dallas respeectively?

11. law5guy

law5guy Member

Jun 26, 2001

12. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

13. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Which is surprising, how?

The Magpie

14. Roundball

Roundball What?

Jan 20, 2006
    Glendale, AZ
    Do the Sams-Army tickets get mailed from USSF or is it will call?
    First game and can't wait! Little nervous that the SA info isn't up yet.

15. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    USSF's feet dragging on the Sam's Army section was giving me World Cup ticket flashbacks so I just bought a pair "cheap" tix in section 116... 9 rows up behind the goal & to the right. You would think the Sam's Army section (if it happens) would be somewhere around there.

16. cjk1975

cjk1975 New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Bought my tickets to my 1st Mens national team game. Midfield row 1.

Very excited and let the countdown begin.

17. Roundball

Roundball What?

Jan 20, 2006
    Glendale, AZ
    didn't want to be left out of the action. sec 116 row 11. Will just have to migrate if i'm sitting in the wrong area

18. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    What did Yogi Berra say? "This is like deja vu all over again." Even if Supporters' Section tickets are offered, somewhere around half (or more) of such fans will already have bought tickets in other parts of the stadium, just like at the England game and many others in the recent past. Don't count on just migrating to the Sam's Army Section, even if there is one. Security will be very strict.
    I checked on Ticketmaster and it seems the first 9-11 rows of the lower level are already gone but I couldn't get a reading for Section 119, behind the goal.
    This is a major shot in the arm for Mexico's chances at the game. We either won't have a Sam's Army section or it will be smaller than demand would indicate. Does anyone remember Osvaldo Sanchez coming out for warmups in Columbus in 2005? He turned around and saw a deafening mass of American patriots and took 2 or 3 steps backwards. The Columbus Dispatch the following morning noted that the national team always seemed to score in Columbus while right in front of the Sam's Army section.

19. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm in 116 row 12 for now.....I'll see where sam's army's gonna be

20. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I may hate our Federation. They are atrocious at anything involving tickets, demand..anything. HOW ********ING DIFFICULT IS IT FOR ONE SECTION:mad:

21. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody should just buy a group of 100 tickets in the lower level and we'll all buy from you. I did that for 30 tickets for the Denmark game, but that was in the Sams Army section.

22. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok well I didnt buy my tickets yet , im waiting for the SA section . Im pretty sure there will be one , and if there isnt , ill get some cheapt seats behind the goal.

So Thomas , you couldnt find tickets for 119 ?

That could mean thats the SA section...

23. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I could not figure out how to request a specific section. I don't know whether Section 119 is blocked. But the horse is already out of the barn. Many dedicated fans already have tickets in differrent parts of the stadium. This seems to happen again and again. It seems to be the same script.
    Someone asked is there were Sam's Army sections for the Mexico games in Houston and Dallas. Yes. Both cities has impressive support. I was at the Houston game with my 1 year old in my arms, screaming my head off. I think that the loud support from the Supporters' Section in Dallas won the game in the final seconds. It was the only time Coach Arena ran over to the Sam's Army section after the game.
    To answer one of the questions, since 2002, the USSF has sent out the tickets to the Sam's Army section. When there is one, that is.
    It is possible that the USSF, or at least the big sponsors, don't want a Sam's Army section and they only offer it for games like the Denmark game where there is scant demand for tickets.

24. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can somebody put in a call tomorrow? If there isn't a SA section by Friday, I think I may do a group sale. Galaxian if you want in let me know (or anyone else for that matter). I can probably afford to throw down up to 25, but it may take one of the BS big-wigs to throw down for a bigger section if we need it.

25. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah , ill wait til Friday also . I still have a feeling that there will be a SA section . The wording on the sams army site makes it sound like there will be one.

Why cant they just put up the info a day in advance , so everyone knows where it is ? IS that too much to ask ?