USA--Haiti Postgame (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Shaster, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Moderator's Edits:

1-1 Draw. Injury time goal by Danny Califf gives US the draw.

No trolls. No flames.

I didn't watch the game, but just from the Matchtracker, I can make some guesses and someone who watched the game, please correct me on it:

1) US was being outshoot. Even though some of Haiti's shoots are from very long distance, but the numbers of US shoot is way to low. In first half, 5 shots only 2 three from attacking players (Donovan 2, Convey 1) and two from defenders (Boca 1, Gibbs 1, must on set pieces). In the whole second half, only one shot from Pope, and until the final minutes of game, US is able to get three shots with one lucky goal. What this mean? The midfield is not doing good. This is with the 4-4-2 formation with Convey on the middle. Basically, when Convey is in this so-called midfielder position, he plays more like a 3rd forward and goes forward very often. That will leave a huge space on the midfield for the defensive mid to handle it. Before U-20 World Cup, US lost to Japan because Clark was being overrun. Same thing happened when Germany beat US 3:1 that made Rongen to change the formation to a 4-4-1-1 by taking Magee off the field, and put Grabavoy in the midfield to feel in the link role. But as both Moorch and Arena did in the U-23 games and this game, they still prefer Convey be the attacking midfielder and let one defensive midfielder to help on defense. In both case, the wing midfielders (Beasley, Ralston, Davis) are traditional wingers type, so they are not doing all those tuck in to fill in the space left by Convey. Also in this role, Convey needs to do more playmarking (which is not his strong point) then knifing behind the defense to waiting for Donovan's passes. So the result is that our midfield isn't being controlled.

2) For whatever reason, US coaches like those quick move of balls and run fast guys on the center midfield (such as Convey, Mathis, and Donovan are all this type) but not trying to develop some new talents to become Reyna and JOB understudy. In this case, Martino is more fit in this role than Convey. Wish he and other those type players--Grabavoy and Memo can have more chances.

2. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching this game, I become pessimistic about our chance to qualify for Germany 06...Do we need a coach change before it's too late?

3. rwhunter4

rwhunter4 Member

Jul 17, 2002
    Home of the Brave
    Mulroony for Donovan? What was the purpose for that sub (I can only guess a move for additional height for corner kicks and crosses). I would say what was with Califf for Pope, but Califf did get a goal so never mind.

4. Blarney

Blarney New Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    NO! Do you really think that some of these guys will be in Germany? Think about who didn't play tonight because of other commitments. Its just a friendly.

5. 100_Fires

100_Fires New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    so cal
    BA got a call from the State departement this afternoon saying that in the best of interest of adding stability to our carribean interests, you will insure that we draw with Haiti

6. IamtheShark

IamtheShark New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Springfield, IL
    That friends and neighbors, is why everyone gets called in for all the qualifiers, no matter what.

I'm looking forward to some detailed and insightful analysis from those who were able to watch the game. And yes, I'm aware this is Big Soccer.

7. mjtate

mjtate Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Westerville, OH
    Saw the game on HDnet, and that was one of the worst performances I've seen the Nats play. No effort. They allowed HAITI to nominate the MF, we were unable to poses the ball at all. Here's my player by player assessement:

Walker - Decent, great comments at the Half time interview, saying that the play was awful.

Pope - Worse that average, fairly shaky for Pope, didn't help the offense.

Carlos Boc - Not good, miss played some balls, but held his own over all, didn't dominate.

Gibbs - Not an outside back. Did nothing going forward and looked awkard going forward.

Sanneh - Nice to see him back. OK defensivly, but very rusty going forward.

Armas - Bad game. Didn't see him complete one pass forward, many turnovers, overrun by Haiti.

Ralston - Had some good moments when he got the ball. Doesn't add much on the defensive end, and isn't that fast.

Beasley - Played too many balls backwards, unable to complete quick 1-2s to breakdown aggressive defense.

Convey - Tried to attack, but didn't make dangerous chances. Gave effort, but not results.

Donavon - Did little. Not inthe game, and made little differnece.

Wolynic - Best attacking player, and that isn't good. Checked back for the ball, and showed effort, but still unable to create chances.

Hartman - Did OK, played too many balls to defenders IMO, should have kicked the ball long.

Albright - Hustled. Better that Sanneh.

Other Subs, Razov played better than other attackers, Califf got the goal, didn't have to do much on defense.

8. djdustmite

djdustmite New Member

Aug 13, 2003
    NJ
    Yeah B, but...think about who DID! I'm a part-time supporter of the "it's just a friendly" excuse. I buy it against Denmark. I do NOT when it comes to Haiti. This should have been a walk in the park even if Bruce wanted to give a lot of different people a shot.

9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    look on the bright side...at least we should have helped Haiti move up in the fifa world rankings...from 94th....

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    All you need to know is over in the "Fire Bruce Arena" thread..

That should end all debate.. Arena clearly doesn't know what he is doing, despite leading this team almost to the semi-finals of the WC..

I just never realized that a friendly in Port-Au-Prince North was a career defining match..

Who knew?

11. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    maybe Cooper should have played....or maybe McBride could have been dragged of the bench at Fulham...

12. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    Does anyone know why Pablo Mastroeni wasn’t on the roster for tonight’s match? Is it because Bruce knows what he can do? He clearly should be our first-choice at d-mid. It’s great to have Chris Armas back healthy; I’m a big fan of his. But Mastroeni played very well in the World Cup. He is a good defender, and he takes good positions on the field. He also is a good passer. At the international level, he completes a high percentage of passes, and he’s calm on the ball. I want to see Mastroeni back on the pitch for some friendlies, so we can confirm that he is our first-choice at d-mid.

It’s great to see Tony Sanneh out there. He looked a little stiff, and he seemed to be moving a little gingerly. I don’t want him to rush this recovery. He’s got to take it easy and let his body fully heal. One day at a time. He is an excellent athlete. I think his body can recover from this trauma; and he is still only 32. But he needs to take easy. It made me uneasy seeing him out there. But if he can get healthy, he clearly should be our first-choice at right-back.

Bobby Convey was okay out there, but not at his best. In fairness to him, he didn’t seem to get much of the ball.

Bruce should seriously consider giving Landon some playing-time at attacking-mid, at least in some friendlies to gauge how he could do there in qualifying. Landon is not getting enough of the ball at forward. He’s getting lost in the shuffle. And he plays well at attacking-mid. We need to get him touches in the ball. He also needs to make himself more of option for receiving the ball when he is at forward. If that means coming back for the ball, that seems fine.

I also would like to see Jovan Kirovski at attacking-mid. That is his best position. He is skillful; he has a good touch. But he is not very fast or very good with his back to the goal. So, he tends to struggle at forward at the international level. But he could become important at attacking-mid. Reyna and O’Brien tend to get injured. And Convey is still young. Also, Kirovski added some energy tonight when he was out there. It will be good to see him in MLS.

Cory Gibbs is clearly better at center-back than left-back. He is just not confident enough on the ball yet to frequently get forward at left-back. And he played outstanding at center-back against Holland. Clearly, if it is between Gibbs and Bocanegra at left-back, Gibbs should play center-back and Bocanegra should be on the left. Bocanegra played well at left-back against Holland. And he plays well there for Fulham.

Wolyniec showed some promise. He was involved a lot, and he seems to be smart. He needs to work on his skill.

At the international level, I tend to think Chris Klein has so far shown to be more a difference-maker than Steve Ralston. They both seem like really good guys.

13. SignGuyDino

SignGuyDino New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Being a realitve newbie to soccer, I have to say that we had our arses handed to us tonight.

I can take some comfort that we didn't have our full team, which shows just how far we've come in the last few years.

We simply have to have our full squads from here on out.

On the bright side, it was my first game watching with my new HDTV set. :)

14. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The result was no more or less important than the Netherlands match. It was a friendly.

15. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't take too much comfort... The team that started and sucked so badly against Haiti was three field players and a goal keeper away from our full team.

This is a bad bad sign.

16. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    GET OVER THE WORLD CUP ALERADY! Go watch your DVD and play futsal!

17. vincero

vincero New Member

Oct 8, 1999
    The play of the US took the pleasure out of the High-def screen. Haiti was very aggressive in defending/pressuring/hacking. The US could not string together more than a few passes.

Sanneh would not play forward to Ralston when given time but did well defensively. So in comes Albright(who on one throw in did not even have the ball make it in bounds) to RB who can deliver the ball to Ralston(who cant do anything with it(? his last game)) and is more of a defensive liability.

Gibbs and Boca played poorly. The left side gave up the ? off sides trap and let Haiti's goal scorer through. Beasely was also ineffective as an outlet.

I thought Pope played pretty well basically providing cover for the other defenders and doing well in the one-v-ones.

Haiti pressured well in the center of the field forcing the US to kick down field were I dont really remember Wolly winning a header or he was dispossesed or gave the ball away. He also blew the few breaks with others in threatening positions. His last shot at the Nats.

There was not a lot of play through Convey. He did have some nice touches and seemingly had the most composure on the ball. Noonan also seemed composed for his ? first cap.

Hopefully last game for Hartman,although there is no way he will represent the Nats in a WCQ. He could not be faulted for the goal but he is to dangerous ie clearances.

Hope to see more games on HDNET. Visually stunning despite the play on the field.

18. CarlosE

CarlosE Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Calvert County, MD
    There are a couple of doomsayers that always get on the "fire Arena" bandwagon anytime the USMNT stumbles - even when it is not warranted. Grant it, if this was a WCQ match, I'd be calling for his head also - But, alas, it is not.

Why don't baseball or football coaches get fired when they lose during the exhibition season, when it does not count? - Precisely because it doesn't count and because the coaches / managers are taking a look at as many players as possible - many of which won't make their regular season roster.

If this is a career-defining match for BA, then using that logic, Freddy Adu stubbing his toe on a table leg is a career-defining move for the lad. Both of these comparison full of manure. Not one thing will be done to BA as a result of this draw, which shows how much some of these BA detractors know.

Grow up, will you? :rolleyes:

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Too many short players in the midfield...I bin tellin' yer an' tellin' yer...need some SIZE in there...anyone see the Arsenal-blackburn game to-day ?...every Arse outfield player, with the exception of Cole and Reyes is over 6 feet tall....can't win anymore with a team of midgets in the midfield....( sounds like the title for a movie)...

20. elconejito

elconejito Member

Dec 24, 2002
    Where Homer Lives
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no one has posted a score... i'm inferring from the posts that it was a tie?

21. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Ughhh dude, I was actually defending Arena, not calling for his head..

Ever heard of sarcasm?

My response was in response to those people who friggin' panic after every single loss or spot of bad play..

I'm fully grown, thank you for asking though...

22. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Wait a second, Arena should stay if they lose because of his World Cup amazing managerial prowess??? While the team looks terrible, can't win, can't score and can't entertain to draw fans. Enough even that the Dutch coach was mad he played the USA!!!!!!!

People need to stop getting hard about the USA run in the World Cup, your remind me of 75 year old Uruguayans.

23. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see the game but, from what I've read, it was a HORRIBLE performance by the team tonight.

It DOESN'T matter that we didn't have our strongest team, it was HAITI & we SHOULD'VE won!!

IMHO this does not inspire great confidence with the WCQs right around the corner!!

It's games like this that show just how far we still have to go before we reach "elite" status in the world of soccer. Not to mention how "weak" our depth is.

24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Score was 1-1...

25. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    The purpose of Mulroony was to correct a previous mistake by Arena. Which was putting a third striker for Armas. Right after that haiti scored their only goal. Pope looked like he was cramping up.