USA goalkeeper discussion thread - Episode IV: A New Hope

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jul 9, 2023.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think it’s crazy to have 4 keepers for January camp. We’ve done it regularly in the past.

I also think Brady has the highest ceiling of the four and given the Olympic emphasis I’d definitely want to see him there.

But there’s no need to cut any of the 4 and having them all there for camp is very feasible. You’ll have to cut 1-2 for the friendly, but you can decide that based on how they look in camp.

TimB4Last and Pegasus repped this.
  2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona probably won’t release him for January camp.

I think you call him up next time you do a camp in Europe and you need an extra keeper and don’t want to make someone come all the way from MLS and not play.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, that was not playing him at all at the U-20 WC while playing Dest which neither then nor now was able to play defense. After that he moved to Mexico. I'm Slonina skeptic to a degree, was extremely against bringing him to Qatar, laughing at the idea that Poland would go after him with their selection of keepers, but he isn't bad, neither is any of those that you mentioned. Kochen, though, might have a totally different ceiling, Barca is extremely serious about him, we need get him before he is eligible for Spain.

4. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kochen is going to get opportunities for the US before he ever gets them for Spain.

Their goalies at current are the starter at Arsenal, the starter at Chelsea, the starter at Real Madrid, and the starter at Athletic Bilbao. All younger than Matt Turner I believe. And that doesn’t even consider all the younger guys they have waiting in the wings.

If Kochen is for real we’re going to call him to the senior team way before Spain ever does (who he’s not even eligible for at current).

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't understand what folks are arguing for here.
    Last I knew Diego Kochen JUST returned from a back injury that has kept him out for months.

We can call Barca to see if they'd release him to January camp, but I highly doubt they would.

I also think this camp is most likely going to be used as a competition for Copa America and Olympics candidates. If we have to write four keepers for the January camp it would be something like Callendar, Celentano, Brady, and Schulte.

Don't get me wrong. I give the USMNT coach license to call up whomever the hell he wants to see for January camp. I just can't see how that's Kochen right now.

[Also, can we stop pining for Julian Araujo on these boards? You'd think that when a guy writes a column indicating his heart is with our biggest rival.............that would officially end any discussion. What does he have to do with literally anything? He should be dead to us. Instead, people act like the kid who was dumped by his first girlfriend when she learned that the quarterback was interested. MAN UP! For Heavan's sake! We wanted Julian Araujo. He didn't want us. Get over it.]

Winoman repped this.
  6. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    I'm old enough to remember both Giuseppe Rossi and Nevan Subotic. People will stop pining for Araujo when he is getting close to retirement.

Pegasus and gomichigan24 repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #232 Clint Eastwood, Dec 12, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    Its one of the most pathetic aspects of these boards.

If Diego Kochen picks Peru, Venezuela, or Spain (if he becomes eligible) over the USMNT, that's his choice.

All we can do is keep providing opportunities. For Kochen, seeing as he's a 17 year old with zero professional appearances.............that next step is our U20s.

Nothing excites these boards more than a player at a big club that people never actually get to watch. He MUST be better than the domestic guys like Chris Brady that we see every week.

8. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most pathetic aspect of this board to you is when anyone dares to question any decision from the organization, member(s) of whom you have a loose relationship with.

Yea, few have seen Julian Araujo play much, the guy from La Galaxy and La Liga.

And he got all those opportunities, like never playing at the u20 WC, getting 1 start in Olympic qualifying, and having 1 senior cap; thru 3 seasons of success.

The fact you have to straw man, move goal posts, and make such specious arguments prove how weak you know they are. This is a lot of gaslighting, even for you.

dspence2311 and butters59 repped this.
  9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Jesus.................

You don't have to take my word for it. Read his own damn words. He wrote a column on the reasons he chose Mexico.

Hint: It's not the reasons you're alluding to.

And yet people keep fabricating things in every thread about Julian Araujo's reasons for switching. HE'S TOLD US THE REASONS HE SWITCHED TO MEXICO. Read and learn. Don't fabricate lies in order to find ways to bash Berhalter, the USSF, or the USMNT.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Julian Eyestone going pro.
    We'll have to see if he signs with FC Dallas or goes to Europe.
    We had a long debate a few months ago about the way being blocked for Antonio Carrera at FCD.
    So you wonder......................
    [​IMG]

Winoman repped this.
  11. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably we shouldn't prioritize playing a child who sits on the bench over men who actually play, but the important thing is that we have yet another forum for off topic axe grinding.

onefineesq repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

nobody and Winoman repped this.
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually getting exciting again. Most excited for the kiddos like Eyestone, Emi Ochoa, Brady, and yeah, Schulte.......who has already proven game ready.

largegarlic, gomichigan24 and Winoman repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Sorry, this is so laughable. Did you expect him to say "Now when USA repeatedly ********ed me over I'll play for Mexico"? Just to endear himself to Mexican fans.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s true they took him to the U20 World Cup playing up a cycle, he was on the U23 team up a cycle, they tried to call him up for the Gold Cup, and they tried to call him in for multiple World Cup qualifying windows with the A team. I’d be furious too if I were treated like that.

tomásbernal repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Of course you wouldn't. Sitting on the bench is such an honor, especially for young kids. Weren't Scally and Gio just ecstatic about that?

17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Araujo was being offered the opportunity to play in the Gold Cup and qualifiers at the age of 20. And he would have played a lot in that Gold Cup. That’s a tremendous opportunity for a player that age.

Araujo even said in his interview he had no issues with Berhalter and had a very good relationship with him.

He wasn’t treated unfairly. He just wanted to play for Mexico. Not sure why that’s so hard for process. Not every player prefers the USMNT and that’s ok. And sometimes there’s no one to blame for it.

18. belyin

belyin Member

Jun 1, 2006
    I think there is absolutely no chance Barca would release Kochen as they need him to be their third keeper while ter Stegen is out. I.e., he serves a function by not being counted on to actually play. As highly rated he may be by Barcelona, he is only 17 and never played a professional game. We shouldn't be fooled by his Barca first team bench appearances; he is there because he is not really needed on the second team at the moment. If Peña was also to go down injured, he would probably still remain the third choice as they would call up a more experienced Barca B keeper to be the deputy.

TOAzer and gomichigan24 repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #244 butters59, Dec 13, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    He was mistreated before Berhalter, not sure why that's so hard for process. He was preferring US, been called to YNTs and never played while starting and playing well in MLS. No other MLS player was treated like that.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #245 Clint Eastwood, Dec 13, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    Can we stop with the damn Julian Araujo talk on every thread?

Is he going to suit up in goal for Mexico? If so, he's almost relevant. But not really. Not even David Ochoa, an actual goalkeeper, is suiting up in goal for Mexico.

I don't spend time pining for David Ochoa either. As far as I can tell, he's not on a club. Maybe he's hangin' out somewhere with Jesse Gonzalez.

I guess we started on the Julian Araujo talk because somebody compared Diego Kochen to him. Diego Kochen, a 17 year old who might, and I mean might...............start for our U20 CONCACAF Championships team. Cuz the aforementioned Julian Eyestone (see above) is a friggin' beast.

Julian Eyestone is the answer to the question: What would happen if an elite 6'6" volleyball player decided to be a goalkeeper instead? The guy's agility for his size is just remarkable.

[He actually was the top-ranked 2024 keeper. Re-classified to a 2023. Went to Duke and started as a 17 year old. Had a great season against some players quite older than him. Now going pro. Kind of cool path.]

I'm sorry that Julian Eyestone isn't a dual-national. Can we talk about him on these boards anyway?
    Or Adam Beaudry of the Colorado Rapids. The kid who actually started for our U17s at the recent World Cup, and showed a ton of potential.

ifsteve repped this.
  21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, we're not Brazil or France or anything, but I have enough confidence in our talent pipeline that if a position on the senior team is weak, we can wait a year or two and have a handful of promising prospects emerge. That's not to say that all or any will pan out at a high enough level, but the more lottery tickets, the greater chance that one hits. It's just going to be a question of whether a new keeper can emerge at a high enough level to help in time for 2026.

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kochen may get passed by some of the other guys but he does have incredible potential and is the best U17 goalie we have at this point in time. Didn’t the U17 coach call him the best goalie in the world of his age or something like that?

Still a long way to go obviously and others could emerge, but he’s a top tier prospect.

TimB4Last repped this.
  23. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Kochen, Ferree, Eyestone, and Beaudry is in theory an insane class

gomichigan24 and TimB4Last repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That was me, although I haven't actually seen him play yet. :oops:

BrianLBI and largegarlic repped this.
  25. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    As for keepers things change so quick. It was not that long ago people were talking about what a big loss David Ochoa would be.

Hell to go back further I remember when everybody thought Bill Hamid and Sean Johnson would be an amazing decade long battle for the number 1 spot.

We just have to let people grow. I actually think Gaga's loan to Eupen has moved him down the pecking order behind guys like Brady, Schulte, and Celentano. Now next season if he gets a loan to a better club even in Belgium? He could shoot back up... hell I had Celentano as the guy we needed to look at but Schulte is now getting a lot of love for the Crew's run

It's a very fluid situation

tomásbernal and largegarlic repped this.