USA-England

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Adam Zebrowski, Feb 11, 2003.

1. ERIMUS

ERIMUS Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Teesside
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    TV here shows quite a lot of the England's women national team actually

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    England has aired women's games in the past (although not as frequently as the US). I should know. I've got some of them sent to me. I've got a Arsenal v Fulham match somewhere around here as well as some other national team matches.

3. Karma Killer

Karma Killer New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    If you class couple a year on Sky Sports Extra (no one watches as you have to subscribe again, where they stick NFL).

At least as far as I can see on the site. I think an idea would to put the girls on before a main international, like say before England when Becks and co play. People starting to come into the stadium would then get to see some of the latter part of the game and that would expose them a little better.

By saying "TV here" Boro you are making it sound like one of the big national channels like BBC, ITV, C4, C5 (Where they show MLS), or Sky Sports 1 (USA National Team - Men), which it isn't.

If there was ever any money on it, it would be an idea to get it on a digital channel.

If their was a Mia Ham over here, someone nice looking, then it would help it too.

4. ERIMUS

ERIMUS Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Teesside
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sky Sports 1 showed a womens game not long ago

5. Karma Killer

Karma Killer New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    They did? That's a step up then.

6. ERIMUS

ERIMUS Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Teesside
    Club:
    Middlesbrough FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah it was the playoffs against France

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    And Kelly Smith doesn't count.
    :D

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think given the plethora of games we've had since the Olympics people know. I always worry more about this perception from other countries rather than locally.

Have you ever met anyone that doesn't hate him?

9. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta

I like Finebaum most of the time. I a big Crimson Tide fan so its good to hear/read him every now and then

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps hate was a big strong, but he can get on my nerves.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For any Alabamians that may be cruising through here feel free to visit the Alabama Soccer Thread for all Alabama soccer related happenings.

12. TNJOHN

TNJOHN New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I will be traveling down from the Nashville, TN area to see this game. It will be my first time seeing a National level soccer game (missed the men's game in B-ham). What kind of attendance do you expect for this game. Based on attendance figures from previous US Women's games in the states I expect no more than 3,000. What do you all think?

13. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    so... ?, it's still soccer ...whoever playing doesn't make any different. Maybe a little bit better than men's soccer, if the game sucks there is still something to look at

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Do any of you Alabama folks know if the Alabama Youth Soccer Association will be selling discounted tix for this match?

Ever since the Gold Cup matches up in Seattle, I have decided to go through a state's youth org. before going through TicketBastard just cuz I can save several $'s that way.

I have also queried the Utah org. to see if they are selling discounted tix for the South Korea match.

----------------

I realize this is a pipe dream but what would be cool for this particular match is to have a screening the night before of the movie "Bend It Like Beckham". I love that movie! Maybe have it as a fund raiser for the 'Bama Youth Soccer Association. Part or all proceeds go to them or maybe some other charity.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well this is certainly going to take the starch out of the WUSA/MLS doubleheader in DC featuring the replay of Founders Cup II.

16. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Yeah, I was thinking 'of all the days for a friendly...' :mad:

17. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001

3,000?! Are you kidding me? There will be at least 20,000 I would guess. 15K if I'm being conservative.

18. TNJOHN

TNJOHN New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I say about 3,000 because attendance in Charleston for the Iceland match (though it was cold) was only 3170 and the fact that England did not qualify for the World Cup this year. Now, I hope I am wrong and that B-Ham has a much bigger fan base than Charleston especially since 24k showed up for the mens game vs. Ecuador.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They definately have had some kind of cooperation
    going in the past. For some matches if kids have shown up in their uniform they've gotten in free! My brother coaches a girls' team, so we're going to try and go the group discount route through US Soccer.

That would be really cool, but considering the movie is supposed to have domestic release soon, that might kind of knock the wind out of the sails of that idea...but who knows? It probably won't show in Birmingham anyway. I actually have some Indian friends whose parents rent out theatres to show Indian movies. It probably wouldn't be that difficult to accomplish getting the film screened, but having it used as a fundraiser is another thing entirely.

20. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone coming to the USA-England game, there is a music festival in Birmingham that same weekend, that is starting to announce its lineup. They've only released a few names playing it so far, but there are some good ones.

Here is a brief list of the highlights so far:
    Willie Nelson
    Ludacris
    Robert Randolph
    The Roots
    Spearhead
    North Mississippi All-Stars
    Bela Fleck
    Nickel Creek
    Luther Vandross

http://www.citystages.org/ for more information.

21. KSMVP

KSMVP New Member

Jan 6, 2003
    London
    All England's womens international games are either shown on Sky Sports 1 or 2. The FA Cup final is also shown on BBC1. The FA Cup Final had an attendance of 15,000 and 2.5million watched on t.v.

Not the attendance of a couple of 100 someone said. One of the last home friendlies against Nigeria had an attendance of 9,000. Which is more than some of the USWNT.