USA-Egypt Player Ratings [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by burud111, Jun 21, 2009.

1. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going with:

Altidore - 6
    Davies - 6.5
    Donovan - 6.5
    Dempsey - 6
    Bradley - 6.5
    Clark - 6.5
    Bornstein - 5
    Onyewu - 7
    DeMerit - 6.5
    Spector - 7
    Guzan - 7

Feilhaber - 6
    Casey - 5.5

2. The Soccerwiz

The Soccerwiz New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    In the US&A
    Re: USA-Egypt Player Ratings

The whole team gets a 9 for guts and effort, today is too nice of a day to nitpick.

3. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

Altidore - 6
    Davies - 5
    Donovan - 7
    Dempsey - 6
    Bradley - 8
    Clark - 7
    Bornstein - 5
    Onyewu - 9
    DeMerit - 8
    Spector - 8
    Guzan - 8

Feilhaber - 6
    Casey - 5

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York

NOTE: I joined around the 15th minute, and I go by the 6 point "average" scale.

Guzan - 6.5 Good on him for getting the clean sheet when he needed it, but I'm nervous with him between the sticks. Shaky in the late going, particularly with defensive organization.

Spector - 7 Strong match, good cross from deep to Dempsey, has solidified his place on this team.

Demerit - 6.5/7 His best match with the US thus far.

Onyewu - 8 A rock in the air and playing like a savvy veteran.

Bornstein - 6 Has quietly strengthened just a bit over the course of the tournament. I'm still nervous having him going 90 for us.

Clark - 6.5 Much the same form as his pre-sending off against Italy.

Bradley - 7 Getting himself into lots of good attacking positions, but not finding his finishing touch until he had that one well-taken one today.

Dempsey - 6.5 Good goal when he needed it, still looking to be one of our biggest underperformers.

Donovan - 8 Consistently creating danger, and showed quite a lot of fight. Man of the match (and the tournament for us, IMO).

Altidore - 6.5 Much better holding up the ball, was finally able to turn his man a few times, unlucky on that strike that stuck the defenders' arm.

Davies - 6 Got the scrappy goal we'd needed to get things going, but honestly not a whole lot more.

Feilhaber - 6 Calming midfield presence today.

Casey - 5 Absolute lack of touch is disturbing.

5. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005

I base off 6 being average.

With your backs against a wall, to come out swinging like the US did today elevates point levels. (yes, Egypt wasn't 100%, I realize)

Guzan- 6... didn't have a whole lot to do, can't really give him more than that

Bornstein- 5... he is quizzical, can't judge headers, and picks interesting times to get forward.

Demerit- 7.5... was really solid today

Gooch- 8.5... Didn't lose a header, did he even lose a tackle or 50/50 ball day? Stepped up in excellent positions and was really brilliant today

Spector- 7.5... Great, Great assist. Had a few not so solid defensive seconds, but when the midfield is so pinched in, some stuff will happen on the wings.

Clark- 6... solid game, did pretty well defensively. Wasn't my most noticed player today.

Bradley- 7.5... Really active, played very well in the middle, well taken goal. A few errant passes I'd like to see him rid himself of by next year

Dempsey- 7... Besides Harkes lamenting his existence, Dempsey covered a lot of ground and put in a hell of an effort. Yes, he's tired, no way around it. Mentally I don't think he's 100% due to body fatigue and is making some bad dribbling ... but he's got heart and had a nice header for a goal.

Donovan- 8.75... MOTM Was everywhere, without him, this team doesn't run. Has shown his heart all tournament and should be making a lot of teams take notice with these performances. No need to say anymore, fantastic today.

Davies- 7... Would have been a 6 without a goal. His speed causes people fits and as soon as he plays a bit more for our side, and understands everyones games, he'll be a solid forward. Great poachers goal, we need those!

Altidore- 6.5... The kid is tired and not fit, but keeps working his ass off and holding up the ball. Should have had one or two goals today, and hopefully he'll make up for it against Spain.

Casey- ummm... 6? I dunno, just ran around, slowly and held the ball up, I think that was his job today.

Feilhaber- 6, did nothing special really, but held the line and provided fresh legs in the midfield... though it's only a 6 don't think his contribution wasn't very helpful to kill off the game.

Bob- 6 congratulations, you finally got your team ready for a game and no one got a card. the lineup wasn't exactly inspired, but the guys played well today and for that you get a 6, bringing your average score for the tournament up to a 3 per game for the tournament thus far. Spain is the only game that counts, get them ready for that and I may think you somewhat competent.

6. Cool Hand Luke

Cool Hand Luke Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Austin Texas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore - 6
    Davies - 6
    Donovan - 7
    Dempsey - 6
    Bradley - 7
    Clark - 6
    Bornstein - 5
    Onyewu - 7
    DeMerit - 7
    Spector - 7
    Guzan - 7

Feilhaber - 6
    Casey - 4

7. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In

Bradley = 8 = Just Great
    Onyewu , = 8 = Deserves to play in a top 4 league
    Donovan = 7, Donovan should of had 2 goals and move to England dammit!!!
    Guzan = 10 Clean Sheet
    Spector = 6 = Thanks for the assist
    Dempsey = 4.5 = Mehhh!! Should never be a midfielder for are team vs Spain put him next to Jozy & let Torres or Adu take his place

Rest Of Players = 5

8. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Altidore - 5 looked like an handful but still has a lot to learn
    Davies - 6.0 added speed, opportunistic (but lucky) goal
    Donovan - 7.5 He was everywhere, without him we would be lost
    Dempsey - 6 both good moments (goal) and bad (decisionmaking)
    Bradley - 7.0 Worked unusually hard, nice commposure on his finish
    Clark - 6.5 effective the first half
    Bornstein - 5 entirely too much scrambling for my liking
    Onyewu - 7 very nice match, dominant in the back today
    DeMerit - 6.5 solid workmanlike effort
    Spector - 6.5 effective, great cross on Dempsey's goal
    Guzan - 6 was not tested, good leadership and distribution

Feilhaber - 6 his possession skills helped the second half
    Casey - 5 needs to work harder in running the clock down

9. mdfc

mdfc Member

Jul 12, 2004
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guzan 7 - liked distribution
    Spector 7 - welcome to the team
    Gooch 7.5 - did misjudge Egypt's last chance, but he has been our player of the tourney
    Demerritt - 7 - you can see the confidence growing - did you see his facial expression on that great tackle in the 2nd half?
    Bornstein - 6.5 - has gotten better each game, gets hung out to dry too often
    Dempsey as a midfielder - 4 - created chance for bradley early, but then just turns it over and offers nothing in defense
    Dempsey as a forward - 7 - play me there coach
    Bradley - 7 - strong game in midfield, just needs to cut out the one rash challenge a game
    Clark - 4 -don't understand why he is there, not a great ball winner and a miserable distributer of the ball
    Donovan - 8 - MOTM - class throughout, and while he still should have shot on that 1st chance, every striker is supposed to know the 1st guy makes a near post run
    Davies - 7 - a hustle goal is exactly what we needed to get us going
    Altidore - 5.5 - he's only 19, he's only 19, he causes problems

subs
    benny - 7 - effort of bench which is the idea
    casey - 5.5 - keep the ball upfield dude, but he did win a few key defensive headers

bob - 4 - we all got to see how much better dempsey is as a 2nd forward, the clark/bradley combo still doesn't work, and why would you not throw on another sub in the last few minutes to a) waste time and b) add fresh legs to pressure the ball?

ref - 4 - these guys have no idea what a yellow card tackle looks like

egypt - 3 - putrid display
    italy - minus 9 - suck it
    it shows if not for clark's red card they may have left SA with 1 or 0 points

10. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ref - 9 for not giving us a red, not a 10 since he still gave out multiple yellows and missed the obvious handball egypt committed

Donovan - 9, ran his ASS OFF, he WAS A ********ING DEFENDER HALF THE TIME, then he nutmegs egyptians and takes on like 5 at once and still got past, the man is a GENIUS

Mike Bradley - 8, solid solid goal, and solid play

Guzan - 9, repeatedly strong, great saves, nothing really spectacular, but repeatedly doing the right thing under enormous pressure can be spectacular in itself

Onyewu - 10, the man saved us, this man saved us

Dempsey - 8, if he didnt score 5, since he scored thats a +3

Spector - 7, Needs more speed for crying out loud he misses so many balls, but at least he's visionary and technical

Davies - 6, got lucky on the goal, was crappy otherwise

Altidore - 5, what did he even do really? some almost chances i guess, but almost is nothing

Feilhaber - 8, nice energy as always

Casey - 6, he sort of failed again but at least he tried more

DeMerit/Bornstein - 7, not very noticeable but i guess they helped make clearances out of our back area

11. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 average

Guzan: 6
    Spector: 5.5 (4 in the first half. 7 in the second)
    Onyewu: 8
    Demerit: 7 (has he replaced Boca yet?)
    Bornstein: 5.5
    Dempsey: 6 (4.75 at midfield, 7 up top).
    Clark: 5
    Bradley: 7.5
    Donovan: 8.5 (MOTM)
    Altidore: 5
    Davies: 6

Feilhaber: 5.5
    Casey: 4

Bob: 6.5

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Guzan: 7
    Spector: 7
    Gooch: 8
    Demert: 7
    Bornstein: 6
    Bradley: 7
    Clark: 7
    Dempsey: 8
    Donovan: 9
    Davies 7
    Altidore: 7

13. polska26

polska26 Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Guzan 10 not much work but great saves when needed

Spector 6
    oneyewu 8
    de meritt 7
    bornstein 5 still need a left back

dempsey 6
    bradley 8 still hate him
    clark 7
    donovan 8

davies 7
    altidore 8

14. Julio84

Julio84 New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Guzan 7
    Spector 7
    Gooch 8
    Demerit 6.5
    Bornstein 5
    Clark 5.5
    Bradley 7
    Dempsey 7
    Donovan 8
    Altidore 5.5
    Davies 6

15. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Donovan's performance was as close to a 10 as ever by any US player since Casey Keller vs. Brazil. Without his running, dribbling, and passing, the Egyptian defense wouldn't have opened up as much as it did to lead to the first goal. A goal on that brilliant run in the first half would have made it a 10, and would merit nomination as the best U.S. goal ever scored in a meaningful game.

16. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Guzan 6 - nice overall play, but flapped at a couple crosses to generate some nervous moments.
    Bornstein 5 - No horrible mistakes, but didn't add anything coming up the flank, and was generally uninvolved.
    Gooch 8 - Total f-ing man in the middle, distributed well out of the back, total shutdown.
    DeMerit 6 - Mostly solid play; much more comfortable with him in the middle than Califf.
    Spector 7 - Has to be the first option from now on, even post Cherundolo recovery.
    Clark 6 - Solid but unspectacular. Disappeared as the match went on.
    Bradley 6 - Poor first half, work rate helped him in the second, and a good finish on the goal.
    Dempsey 5 - Not bad up top, but a total disaster in the midfield. Lazy clearing and poor defensively. Goal is a +1 bonus on his score.
    Donovan 8 MOTM - Everywhere. Almost scored the goal of the tournament, set up Bradley for two clear chances (one he finished), did all the defensive dirty work Dempsey did not, still the fastest, best player on the field at 90'+. Outstanding. Would be a 9 with a finish on one of his two chances, a 10 with a finish on both.
    Altidore 6 - Good work on the Davies goal and elsewhere; unfortunately his lack of play is starting to show.
    Davies 7 - Sometimes you need a scrappy garbage goal to get yourself started. I thought his work up top cleared a ton of space in the midfield for Donovan and Bradley to operate.

Subs
    Feilhaber 5 - Bradley plays him out of position, and again he basically disappears. Pointless.
    Casey 5 - Terrible touch, could have done a lot more to help us kill the clock.
    3rd sub - Will appraise when Bob uses it in the Gold Cup. We get 5 to play with in our first match because he's saving them, right?

17. TheDoc

TheDoc Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad to see the BB has brain washed alot of our fanbase about how forward sin general are supposed to play.

Saying Davies had a bad game is absurd!

Watch him play without the ball, he is the only American that ever makes runs to get into open space.

He held the ball up, made great passes/crosses, took on players, and stayed with the ball no matter what.

Unlike Bradley or Altidore or Donovan who gave up on many plays that could have been so much more.

But you know what I dont care, we won!

I think almost everyone gets a 7, save the subs.

Except BB who gets a 2. Again I am not sure if he is a spokesperson for AT&T and thinks just like unused minutes that his subs rollover.

The guy is terrible and it shows that our team is better than our coach.

18. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altidore - 5.5 mixed; needs more club time
    Davies - 5.5 consistent
    Donovan - 6.5 One big judgment error.
    Dempsey - 5.5 Goal redeemed him
    Bradley - 6.5 Very nice game; contribution to offense massive
    Clark - 6 Nicely invisible plugging the holes seen in previous games
    Bornstein - 5 Not prime time
    Onyewu - 6.5 Excellent
    DeMerit - 6 Solid
    Spector - 6.5 Another good game
    Guzan - 6 One missed punch; pretty good

Feilhaber - NR
    Casey - 4.5

The fact of the matter is that a moderately healthy US team with a halfway decent duo in the central midfield played an Egypt team that started the game without its #1 scorer and lost 3 more starters through injury. Good for the US, but Egypt was far from its best.

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    lol @ the poor ratings for Clint... he wasnt bad at all... dont let Harkes fool u

20. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
  21. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    uhh, yes he was, he was f'ing horrible in the midfield. he gave up the ball several times after trying to dribble through 2-3 players. he never tracked back defensively. not once. he would lose the ball, stand there for a second and then trot around waiting for the next ball to come to him. using him in the midfield is a horrible idea, up top he can get away with his lack of defense and is an opportunistic scorer, in the midfield he is detrimental to the team.

22. tbgh

tbgh New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Was going to write my own, but why bother. This is exactly what I saw. Move Davies from 7 to 6 and I agree with every rating.

23. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Guzan - 6.5 Got the clean sheet, and played as well as Howard. A little improvement in distrubution would be nice.

Spector - 7.5 The starting RB for the US, bar none.

Demerit - 6 Very solid performance. A repeat of this against Spain and Bocanegra may be the odd man looking in.

Onyewu - 8 MOTM--Our best position player made Aboutrika's day a nightmare. Shut down a potent Egyptian attack.

Bornstein - 6.5 Has achieved an incredible amount of confidence, looked good in 1v1 and going forward. Cemented the US starting LB spot.

Clark - 6 A decent CDM. Needs to lighten up on the tackles and tighten his passes, but did well.

Bradley - 6.5 Had a good go on goal but really needs to improve his overall game. A petulant yellow wasn't good.

Dempsey - 6.5 Nice game, seems to be breaking his slump.

Donovan - 7 Has stolen the captain's armband from Carlos...But should shoot more often--Missed a golden opportunity early that could have been costly.

Altidore - 6 Did everything but score a goal.

Davies - 6.5 Very impressive runs and positioning. Ugly goal but who cares?

Feilhaber - 6 Held the ball well.

Casey - 6 (Ahem, 3/7.5) Broke up two key Egyptian sequences. Awful at forward, but perfect in the "Defensive Forward" Joe-Max Moore type role.

24. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Member

May 30, 2005
    Harrison, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoted for truth. I find that Goal.com saying that Dempsey had a "superb" game disturbing ... I mean did you even watch the game?

Can't wait to see his stats on percentage of passes completed. Way too many turnovers, held the ball for too long in the midfield, left the backs to dry on multiple occasions and had that one string where he gave up the ball twice in our third within 15 seconds. He's been lacking for a while now and if it wasn't for that goal, I would say not to start him next game.

And frankly if Bob benched him against Spain (he won't), I would support it.

25. Lance90

Lance90 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ah, No. Don't listen to Harkes, he had his mind made up even before the game started that he was going to rag on Clint. I mean c'mon, Clint was in the Egyptian 6 yd box trying to head home a goal and Harkes chewed him out for not covering the winger on the resulting counter-attack. How many D-mids do you guys want? Donovan gets MOTM for his hustle and defense? He's supposed to lead our attack!

I'm sick of people on this board complaining about the lack of offense and creative play and then whine about the one player who can play others in and actually finish! Granted, Clint has been off for the US lately, but I attribute that more to Bob's tactics than anything else

Who's pass put Donovan in 1 v 1 with the keeper leading to the pass to nowhere (btw, how good can the US be when your "best" player is a pu$$y?) Who's pass put Bradley through on goal? Those were our two best chances of the 1st half before we got lucky with the garbage goal. Who put in the player on the play that led to Altidore not scoring with a virtually an open net from the penalty spot despite having all day to line it up?

Clint was running the midfield the first 30 mins of the game before coach Bob likely pulled him back out wide to play defense even though we needed two more goals. Do you think he tucks in on a whim or his own volition? He's not a endline to endline wingback! No, we need someone in front of Bradley/Clark who can handle the ball and spring other players. Donovan is so lousy at it he's been moved to the wing, where he's at least good at making runs.

If you want to blame somebody for the porous defense on the left side, blame Bornstein--who doesnt' have a clue--or BB for not having Clark/Bradley shifting over more to cover for Clint or our lame CB's who need two CM's in front of them because they don't know how to step up or hand off marks.

For those that want to replace Dempsey, who you going to replace him with who can do more AND play defense? Feilhaber? Adu? Torres? With Bob's lame tactics and our lousy backline (save Spector) there's really no one else.