USA-Cuba: Donovan's Free Kick Goal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Turk from Pigs Eye, Jul 8, 2005.

1. gnatfan

gnatfan Member

Mar 10, 2005
    You don't think Wolff is saying "Give it to me--I can put it in!!"

2. masoo

masoo Member

May 31, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    When I first started reading this thread, I didn't know what folks were going on about. In "real time," I thought Donovan's goal was terrific, I didn't know why he was pointing towards the goal as he began his celebration, and, I confess, I was glad to be able to cheer for Landon after spending so much time booing him at Spartan :). But then I realized I had recorded the match on my computer, so I went back and watched the goal, and once you know what to look for, it's much more obvious than even that picture shows. The wall forms, and then Wolff clearly pulls his arm up and points with his thumb ... clearly for the viewer, obviously not for the Cubans!

3. CCTX SoccerFreak

CCTX SoccerFreak New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Corpus Christi,TX
    They didn't show if he did or didn't but can anyone tell me if he did that little catching kisses thing and put it in his back pocket?? I hate that.... :D

I did love the shot though...and that was an incredibly difficult shot. When you're in your backyard without a REAL wall of 7 men in front of you yeah it might be a bit easy.....but COME ON man that was a hell of a shot and that's cause I still have a chip on my shoulder about him coming back from Europe!!

Hell of a shot LD!! Congrats!! and way to go J Wolff on pointing out the discrepency in the BS wall set up by Cuba....

Way to finish the game!! Although I would've rather you finished off the game sooner....it's cool with me though cause as I walked into the house from practice I was able to catch the last 3 minutes of the game and my son was pissed cause the game was almost over with 3minutes left...little did he know he was about to see the best of the game!! LOL!!

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice one, I like that

5. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    I'm not sure, but I think Donovan also hit it earlier than the keeper expected. Donovan came across the ball at a really acute angle too and if the keeper wasn't set he might have thought LD was going right.

6. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was an extremely well-taken---clutch---free kick. End of story.

7. ForzaViola

ForzaViola New Member

May 16, 2005
    Park Ridge, IL
    My recollection of the replay is that the Cuban #6 & #9 broke from the wall. I think the shot went right thru the hole vacated by #6 when he left his spot. The keeper seemed a bit out of position and mey have lost his footing (as a lot of players did last night).

8. mtr8967

mtr8967 New Member

Aug 15, 2003
    Replaying it on Tivo, this is what I saw.

9. usasoccerhooligan

May 1, 2005
    i didnt get to watch the game since i don't have telefutura. when i read the title of this thread, i double-taked. we actually scored on a freekick!

10. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    The Cuban #6 player is the 2nd from the end of hte wall...
    If Donovan hit it there, and it went through when he moved, then I'm less impressed with the shot... and feel it was 50% quality shot by Donovan, and 50% terrible terrible play by the cubans - both the wall and the keeper positioning.

Either way, it was a good goal ... I'm not ready to put it up there with the great free kicks of all time (even all time USA) but it was really needed in this game... and I'm glad he drilled it home.

11. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well i did not watch the game....not possible to watch it in germany...
    so i can only rely on your information here...and on press news..
    from all post here some say kick of Donovan was good or was bad....
    well the fact is Donovan scored.....this is what had an effect on the
    result..dont´you thin?....maybe it was 50% quality shot by donovan and
    50% terribleplay by the cubans..but who can say it exactly?..no one

It was a good Goal...and ..Donovan showed that he is valuable
    member of your team.....

so no need ot discuss this "free kick goal"....
    Donovan managed..

your bltleo
    from Germany.

12. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, it was good, bltleo. It was very good. I'm quite proud of him. He had gotten knocked on his rear to draw the free kick...then he stepped up and put it away. He showed heart, he showed leadership.

A few people tend to get carried away with over-analyzing things. It's fun for them, so there's nothing wrong in doing that..and they're not criticizing LD.

Coming at that time of the game...(we're gonna tie freakin' Cuba!!!!!)....it was a clutch performance.

13. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the game and it was a fantastic kick. LD with out a doubt is the best player in America.

14. Goosebumps

Goosebumps New Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Does anyone know of a link that has video of Donovan's goal? I missed the game and would love to see it.

15. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    Everyone here is right!

Had the wall done its job, it would've taken a ball bending left-to-right (left-footed shot) to go in at the left post. And from that close range, that shot would've needed to be pretty damn sweet.

However! big ups to Donovan and Wolff for making a simple play out of it.

17. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I appreciate the thoughts... but I wanted to point out that I am very happy with the goal. The USA has for too long looked way to soft on free kicks near the opponents goal. I'm not sure the USA has had someone who was always dangerous in those situations since Tab Ramos.

My comment was only this... the Cubans didn't do things right, and that gave Donovan a slightly larger window of opportunity to score the goal.

That said, he still had to hit the shot... and as someone else commented... make sure he didn't Convey the ball (personally I would have used Albright in that comment rather than Convey - as good as Convey is at missing the goal... Albright was even better) into the stands.
    It was a very good shot, not one of the all time greats, but a very good shot. We overembellish and overcriticize a lot on these boards (heck I may have done it once or twice) - this may not have been miraculous, but it was a very good shot, definitely a clutch shot.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    That was what I was trying to say... and you did it better with fewer words... I should neg rep you for that... :D

19. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    It is funny that if he had just missed the shot, we wouldn't have a thread on here discussing how easy it was for him to make it, and how basically Cuba's crappy wall was the only reason he got it in.

Thanks a lot, Landon, you muckraker.

20. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if the Cubans put up the crappiest wall ever, I still give credit to Donovan for taking advantage of a situation with his FreeKick skill. That's how truly great Soccer players play the game!

21. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    short and simply

Landon Kick was excellent !!

your bltleo
    Germany

22. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i have watched almost every nats game in the last 3 years and i do not recall us EVER scoring on a free kick (or a corner kick for that matter). set pieces seem to be our achilles heel (i dont know if anyone remembers reyna's "amazing" corners). I think cletus hit one in 2001 or something but does anyone have any other info?

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering that same thing. When is the last time we did that?

25. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that particular avi file format version require a special codec to be downloaded in Media Player?