USA chants songs for WC2022 - some suggestions

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by shinpath, Oct 15, 2022.

1. shinpath

shinpath Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Shanghai, PR China
    Club:
    --other--
    Football chants have several purposes, the first of which is to pump up your own supporters and your team and create a cloud of confidence that will lead to a win – nearly all our songs and chants fall in this category. But there are other chants with different goals – one of which is to intimidate your enemies and their supporters, another is to win over neutrals listening– and here, well for the Yanks, we have zilch.

When I think of one team that sends chills down my spine it’s the London docklands team of Millwall. Casey Keller used to goalkeep for them. Their home ground, the Den, and their always ready for a ruck supporters are great source of dread for any visiting player or supporter. Their chants are legend – one, to the tune of Rod Stwart’s ‘(We are) Sailing’ goes like this:

We are Millwall, super Millwall
    We are Millwall from the Den

No one likes us,
    no one likes us
    No one likes us,
    WE DON’T CARE!

You could easily change this to “We are the Yanks, from the States” but let’s see if we can come up with something original.

In 2002 in Daegu Korea before the USA match with South Korea I heard this chant, led by US Supporter legend Metro Flip, a simple edgy refrain:

SUPER POWER SUPER POWER U-S-A!
    SUPER POWER SUPER POWER U-S-A!

Now we’re talking, Our team may not inspire fear, but getting on the wrong side of the Yanks in a geo-political sense certainly does.

What I love about British football chants is their ability to make fun of rivals while bringing up history at the same time. When England plays Germany a long song ‘Ten German Bombers” always comes out with the final line “and the R.A.F. shot them down.” A simple taunt goes:

TWO WORLD WARS AND ONE WORLD CUP DOO DAH DOO DAH! TWO WORLD WARS AND ONE WORLD CUP OH DE DOO DAH DAY!

If we wanted to get a laugh when we play England on Turkey Day we could have some fun and sing this:

TWO GULF WARS AND NO WORLD CUPS DOO DAH DOO DAH! TWO GULF WARS AND NO WORLD CUPS OH DE DOO DAH DAY!

So something intimidating and edgy and in-your-face is what we need. Let me suggest this, which will be a tough sell to all of you because it’s NOT in English. But it would literally drive the supporters of any Spanish speaking team, especially Mexico and Mexicans, to scream and tear their hair out.

ESTADOS UNIDOS, JAMAS SERA VENCIDO! ESTADOS UNIDOS, JAMAS SERA VENCIDO!

UNITED STATES! WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED! UNITED STATES! WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

The chant is a direct steal from a Leftist political chant from Chile in the 1970s: The People, United, will never be defeated! El Puelblo, Unido, jamas sera vencido! To pull off stealing that chant, appropriating it for the US and throwing it out there at a match or in the street would earn us some major props with our enemies.

Alright, people, try and put together some new, simple, easy and in-your-face chants the USA and I hope to hear them echoing in the Qatari stadiums when I tune in on TV.

2. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the Superpower chant. Perfect for US. Needs additional lyrics about aircraft carriers, smart missiles, submarines, killer drones, nuclear bombs and navy seals.

soccer_23 repped this.
  3. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I prefer my chants not deal with explicitly political topics or (especially) war. The US hasn’t exactly covered itself in glory with its recent involvements in the Middle East.

NNNJJJ repped this.
  4. NNNJJJ

NNNJJJ Member

Chelsea FC, USSF Referee
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, making it about war (or even political) feels cringey to me.

That being said, I do love the idea of English-style chants for the USMNT. Would love something for our key players, a friendly dig against England, etc. I’ll be at all three group stage games and would take part.

As it stands, we are a one-trick pony with the U-S-A slow clap, which is cool maybe once in a game (if that) but quickly gets old IMO. (I also don’t like the incessant drumming, but that’s another story.)

5. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SOC
    CER

SOC
    CER

SOC
    CER

elzurdito10, Galaxian and soccer_23 repped this.
  6. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never figured out or learned why we don't sing America the Beautiful. Maybe because it is not easy to sign well. I certainly don't -- I'm just too old to care.

7. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    It should be the national anthem, frankly.

God Bless America also works well as something distinctive to sing along to. Though as a very non-religious person, it’s kind of awkward…

8. Ryan T Smith

Ryan T Smith Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    May 10, 2022
    For the record, I won't be in Qatar, I'm just lurking, but I was hoping those of you that will be there would pull out "IT'S CALLED SOCCER! *clap, clap, clap clap clap*" if we somehow manage to beat England. I also remember watching old YT vids from 2010 and came across a chant I can't fully remember, but it was a take on "Ten German bombers in the air" except it was "Ten English b*stards on the hill" though I can't recall the second part. I feel like the fans ought to bring up the Revolution somehow.