US young star Eddie Johnson training in MU

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Shaster, Nov 6, 2004.

1. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Yo comprendo. Ya, it's just some of the young pups around ManU. I'm excited about a lot of young players. But more often than not they don't pan out.

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he's the same age as Kenny Cooper and absolutely everyone in the American youth development pipeline seemed to think Eddie was better than Cooper and I assume they still do.

Doesn't mean they're right, of course, but that is clearly their opinion. Rossi is a bit different case (since there didn't seem to be any interest on his part to be in the American youth setup) but I'm guessing they'd rate him ahead of Rossi as well.

3. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Many of these issues are dealt with quite reasonably in this article... (There are accompanying 'blueprint', and 'proposal' articles as well...)

Personally, I think puttering around a European academy is slightly less attractive than real playing time in a real league...whatever you think of MLS...
    Since someone's bothered to stuff it into a "model", I think playing in MLS until 18-22, going to Europe for 6-10 years, then coming back is the healthiest scenario for MLS, and US soccer... Not necessarily for the player, mind you... For the entire pool...

4. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Why dont you shut the ******** mutherphaker you suck this guy johnson is great he is one good example of the type of talent mls has produced.

5. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    oh shut up...Johnson is nowhere near "great" he will probably never be a great...he might end up going to Europe someday and because a player who in his best season scores 15 maybe 20 goals..

6. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Which of them already play for their senior National Teams in World Cup Qualifier? You know that US is not 8-10 years ago, that they will call a prospect to play a National Team game. For US right now, you are being called up because you would contribute. Even though Eddie Johnson is just a 30 minutes sub right now, he is answered his coach's call. In away game against El Salvador, US led 1-0. He came in and 4 minutes later it became 2-0 to secure the win. In Panama game, when US led 2-0 and Panama pushed for a ball back (almost did with a header hitting crossbar), he was called upon again and also 4 minutes later it became 3-0 and totally deflat the Panama team.

Even people didn't give credit by claiming those opponents mimmows, but as fans in all the world, World Cup Qualifier is never an easy affair. Watching over all European games will prove that.

7. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    One thing I never stood is, sure Eddie Johnson is good and all, but what about Edson Buddle? Perhaps an equal talent. Very similar numbers, and Buddle's team was quite good as opposed to Johnson's.

Personally, I was surprised that Eddie Johnson was given the clear nod over Buddle for a USMNT camp invite since they both looked spectacular this season, and are really quite similar players. Anyone know why Buddle isn't playing for the National Team and Johnson is? I think they both should be.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't know which of the two are better, but I am still stumped at how playing for a bad team is supposed to make goalscoring easier.

9. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ's 12 goals this season is a miracle considering his supporting cast that he had this season. He was missing a left winger and an attacking central midfielder this season. Ronnie O'Brien was the only player who could actually get him the ball. Ching who tied him with 12 goals had DONOVAN, Ekelund and Mullan. Donovan was the key player because it meant that Ching was an afterthought to team defences in MLS while EJ was the only forward so it was much harder for him. This is the main reason why EJ is on the Nat's ahead of Buddle. Buddle played with a way better team and could still only score 11 times this season and played below his abilities.

10. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

I just think that you are splitting hairs to say EJ is better than Buddle, I think they are both great and should both be called up to see how they do on the international stage. MLS only has so much relevance to how a player will perform on the international stage, and both Buddle and Johnson have shown tremendous (I'd argue equal) potential to be dangerous scorers and should both be called up for the Jamaica game (and probably will).

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think, in general, you're right. The season stats say they had about the same number of goals, on about the same number of SOG, but Johnson took ten more shots to get those numbers.

You could claim that makes Buddle a better marksman, or you could say Johnson was "more active," and was engaged in an heroic effort to make something out of nothing for Dallas.

Where Buddle would be taking away goals from teammates by launching overoptimistic shots, Johnson basically isn't. The next best offensive player on that team is Ronnie O'Brien, and he has one of the worst shooting percentages in league history, so you're not taking his goals. In fact, he's probably creating your shots.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This aint the yanks forum... sheesh...

13. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Back to ManU related topics, then ... EJ wouldn't qualify automatically for a work permit until at least the end of '05. Given his youth, you could see him getting some special dispensation if he becomes a first-choice starter for the US, which is possible. I think any team in the world would be happy to have a player like EJ in their youth system; similarly, he's a good player for defenders to practice against because he's as athletic as all but a few strikers worldwide. Given the deep quality of strikers on the squad, its senseless to think of Johnson as a sensible short-term move.

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Really? This youngster is more athletic than all but a few strikers in the world. What absolute nonsense.

15. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004

Oh, I don't know if you can claim he isn't that athletic either. All we know is he is very very fast, and big and strong. He could be that athletic, it is tough to say until he plays against world class defenders.

16. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    This is sort of a general question spawned from all the comments about EJ's inability to qualify for a work permit etc.

I know that there are official rules about % of national team games played in, but I also know there is an appeals system set up to get around that. Does anyone know under what circumstances that appeals systems actually allows players into the EPL without meeting the caps criteria? Is it based on talent, need for a specific club, a club showing that there isn't a homegrown player of equal or greater talent available for that position?

If a player generally is ineligible for the EPL without a certain cap % then players from Brazil etc. who could certainly prosper in the EPL and help teams out like Elber (first to come to mind as a world class player with limited caps) etc. would be unable to play regardless of talent level. Is this really the case? If so there would only be about 15 or so maximum players eligible per country for the EPL or Coca-Cola Championship (same rules here?) and one could see players from Brazil, Argentina, Spain, France, Portugal, Italy etc. being passed up for lesser quality players as imports because of this. How does this really work? And what would a young player like EJ need to do to qualify if he couldn't meet the cap & requirment? I know Tim Howard (by the almighty forces of Sir Alex Ferguson) got through on an appeal for a permit, but perhaps that was special because he is a goalie?

17. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I think it's based on talent and money transfered into a cetain bank account in Barbados. :eek:

18. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BAHAHAHHAHA!!!! NICE!

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to prk166 again."

20. EdgarDavids20

EdgarDavids20 New Member

Feb 11, 2004
    Phoenix
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe one of Howard's parents is a 2nd generation Hungarian, so he was able to get a passport and count as an EU player.

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Well, all but Brasil and Argentina are EU members and hence their citizens can work in the UK without a work permit.

22. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell the truth. Mr. Jonhson has paid them or a representive has paid for him. Is correctly interpret? I can't imagine invite without finances.

23. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    A couple of current facts:

1. Eddie has a close, valuable relationship with US Nat Corey Gibbs. Gibbs is a FC Dallas teammate who is an example and inspiration to EJ.

2. Both Gibbs and EJ are considered 'core youth' assets for FC Dallas. FC Dallas management has goals of building the team around them.

3. This growth project is now being founded on a brand-new, amazingly diversified venue at Frisco, Texas. A valuable home, along with an exemplary Gibbs, provides a breeding ground for success.

Can the HSG organization provide all the empowering tools to efficiently actualize EJ's growth? This remains to-be-seen; but after witnessing some of HSG's remorseful moves relative to the Burn/FC Dallas - I would look for slow growth, culminating in a frustrated EJ that finally makes a move three years down-the-road.

24. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    They can if they shift paradigms, create robust synergies, and embrace tansformational thinking.

;)

25. prk166

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

:)

It's fun being cynical. But the FA could be more clear cut about the whole thing. A bit more transericy would go a long way in leaving the fans feeling like they're being fair.