US WNT vs. China in Philadelphia 10/6/10

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by TheSmoke, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes but who hasn't played in the past year and who ALWAYS plays even if it's a friendly and who is the main target to score?

Isn't that the biggest question with the fowards for the WC? "Who's going to play off/with Abby?" Who would people on here choose? What happens if someone gets injured or gassed? How will these lineups change? Will they be able to change?

2. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I should have clarified. her minutes played vs. points is believe better than abby's. I'm trying to find number but i know this was mentioned in a broadcast a year or so ago. ...which is actually more impressive.

i'm just saying, she scores. no biggy.

Rodriguez, Amy 47/8
    O'Reilly, Heather 125/26
    Tarpley, Lindsay 120/30

3. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Same answer.
    Kai, caps=67, g=24
    Abby, caps=142, g=109
    Not Kai.

4. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Keep throwing it out there, maybe something will stick.
    ARod is similar to Kai. Speed, no touch, little skills, many wasted chances.

HAO and Tarley play mostly if not all at midfield. If you want to make a case for Kai at midfield, try.

If you are going to use stats to support your argument, you might want to use it accurately.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. But this thread probably isn't the place for this discussion.

Kai is much more athletic than ARod and (imo) wouldn't miss any where close to the number of wide open shots ARod does. And now Kai's off ball runs are much better than ARod's. When she first joined the USWNT she had a lot of tactical work to sort out but she's done that. I really like what she brings to the table when healthy.

If Kai really was playing w/ a torn hamstring for most of the season (Mookie, didn't you post that info?) then that's clearly what hampered her WPS production. The other thing Kai brings that I don't see ARod having is a bit of grit and fight (the good kind) that a team really needs come crunch time.

6. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't agree that Kai is MUCH more athletic, or her runs are MUCH better, maybe a little.
    I am pretty sure ARod is faster and can stretch the defense a little better.
    All those things are perceived and if one can place a value on all of those qualities, if Kai is a 8, ARod would be a 7 or so.

What little concrete evidence we do have is this stat:
    2010 in WPS
    Kai: 42 SHTS, 21 SOG, 5G, 1A
    ARod: 64 SHTS, 36 SOG, 12G, 6A
    Who is more accurate?

Kai's learning curve was the same as ARod's. Both were very raw at the beginning, both have improved some. Neither are good enough to be the 2nd scorer.

7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Kai is very very athletic. Still holds the HI state record for High Jump.

There are not a lot of other options for the 2nd forward. (Cheney, Leroux, Morgan..?)

And I think both Arod and Kai have and the potential to be successful for the WNT in some capacity going forward. My argument is if Kai is healthy she should should get a call up and a chance to contribute... because she actually does contribute when she gets that chance.
    And I think she's very entertaining for the sport.

Regardless, someone will 2nd forward...

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you BrooklynSoccer. I was going to just post that Kai offers a dimension ARod doesn't in that she can head the ball and isn't a midget. But your use of actual facts makes a better post.

9. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    -Ok so the number of swings that you're able to take at bat have NOTHING to do with the probability of your batting average?

-I wasn't saying it had to be Kai though I do think she could be the third or fourth foward and help out. What I was stating is that when the only criteria you have for a foward is "Who can play off Abby," you pretty much "landlock" your playing style and tactics. That's what so special about Brazil any one of their fowards might be the person to net the ball.

10. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If A-Rod is only slighty better than Kai then a) Why the hell is she there? and b) Is this the best US soccer can do? Oh and theres no way in hell she'd beat her in a sprint.

Tasha is INSANELY athletic. She lettered in volleyball, cross country, basketball, and soccer, and track while in high school. That means she was on the varsity squads folks. She still holds that record as Brooklynn said. If you were to go to the islands and ask who was the best female athlete the state every produced, they'd more than likely tell you Tasha.

One thing US fans need to move away from when determining how "good" a foward is is goals and shots. Those are not the only two things that make a great foward. A great foward has to be able to find openings, pick apart defenses, and also set up goals.

The foward department no matter how big the names it may house is looking pretty damn thristy. On the bright side I was glad Alex Morgan was able to get some shine.

Look at NASA they relyed on old technology for so long now this country is no longer ahead in space exploration or technologies.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think Abby is able to be more multidimensional than some posters give her credit for being. She is quite able to play combinations w/ her feet & to send in good balls for others to run onto. And to make runs that pull defenders toward her in order to open space for others.

12. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    How many headers had she put in?
    I think Kai and ARod had their chances. They showed that they are not the 2nd for sure. Maybe 3rd, 4th, 5th.

I don't mind to try out Cheney, Leroux, Morgan.
    Cheney has had a few more games but none of them are completely tested but each should get their shot.

13. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Fire Posted this Stat:
    2010 in WPS
    Kai: 42 SHTS, 21 SOG, 5G, 1A
    ARod: 64 SHTS, 36 SOG, 12G, 6A
    Who is more accurate?

I believe Arod played more minutes correct? Looks like 50% of their shots were on goal and both put some in the net. There is no argument imo that Kai is a much better athlete and this is why her soccer has struggled. If she would have concentrated just on soccer and had better youth coaching she would be amazing. But the fact is that Ryan so her as a draw and a project. Arod has worked on her game for many more years and has shown that on the field.

Is Kai a NT Player No and never was! Is she a good WPS player yes!

But hey with 2,000 at a WNT game does it matter? Do you think that US soccer could concentrate on marketing and location! US soccer is a joke!

14. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't know, you tell me.
    I think we are 2 years late to this discussion.
    "Who can play off Abby" is really not the criteria. It's who possesses the qualities to complement Abby, and that is what actually "unlocks" your playing style and tactics.

This is simplistic but there are basically 2 types of forwards.
    1) Target fwd, strong, tall, can play in the air, can hold the ball.
    2) Fast fwd, can make run into space, win a foot race, stretch defense.
    Of course if you can do both, you are golden but I have already retired (just kidding). Each type also needs ball skills and finishing touch. The better ball skills you has, the better.

If you play 2, 3 fwds, you don't want all type 1 or all type 2. You prefer a mix so you have a diversed offense. Abby had proven she is a type 1. Preferably we want a type 2 to complement her.

That, I think, is sometimes ARod or Kai before her, had an advantage over someone like Cheney even if overall Cheney may have better qualities. Her drawback is that she is a target fwd like Abby.

Anyone can net the ball, being able to complement Abby does not prevent you to net the ball.

15. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's the beauty of her "making it big." Not everyone are afforded parents with deep pockets or the luxury of moving around to get put on the stacked teams. She's shown the kids of the recession that yeah you can make it without being rich or without coming from a soccer town/area. She the first in this era to cross the "elitist" barrier that exists in women's soccer.

I think you're seriously over stepping when you say that she never was national player material. 2008 was an amazing year for her and she played a part in some big moments for the team. (A-rod was there too but she was awfully quiet) Such a shame the threw her away the first chance they got (when her shoulders popped out.) She was really on the cusp of moving to the next level. No matter how much this woman improves or how many things she accomplishes some of the people on this board will never give her enough credit. Did she take your lunch money? Did she climb through your windows and snatch your people up? :cool:

When I first started posting here people were saying the same things. Then she has a great year and a half, wins an Olympic gold medal and a WPS championship and you STILL say she's nothing. WOW. :eek:

*If this team doesn't start "opening" up it's going to face a rude awakening some where down the line. I can sense it, and my senses aren't usually too far off. Time will tell so you don't have to believe me.

You can't keep saying well usually this is how it's done because over time that CHANGES. Teams are evolving. Is this one?

16. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Obviously some peeps seem to just have started following and quoting stats and trends about kai. She hasn't been called in about 2 years, and that's been a question plaguing everybody's mind. The stats on us soccer only go till 2007, so YouTube/google your facts people. A striker who scores on a bended shot on her first cap deserves to be developed and utilized. I laugh in regards to the comment about how many times she scored with her head...you want the ones off set pieces or diving in? IMO, in set pieces, she was the target not named wambach or boxx...

1 person likes this.
  17. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    mwahahahah. ahahaha... that's funny and i agree w/ most of your post.
    now i'm gonna go hide my kids and hide my kai from all this.

1 person likes this.
  18. alckz

alckz Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Now I might get burned for this but IMO, this is the issue with arod, Cheney, and most who went no 2 with Abby...they're playing like a number 2. A striker is like a hawk, poacher, or even a sneak sometimes. I notice when like arod or even tarp takes the field with Abby, they seem more concerned of how to make her happy...or the coach? The shots they take are mostly of an obvious nature. Not quite sure how to say this but I think most folks know what I mean. Kai is out there to score goals on any which way she can, as a striker should. she plays as if she's no 1 striker, along with Abby, not someone chasing her shirttails...

19. kcguru

kcguru Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Can we somehow come up with two forwards that work together, without sacrificing one for the other? I agree with the previous post, it seems like it's more about finding a sidekick for Abby. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Abby, but what if Cheney and A-Rod are amazing together? What if it's Cheney and Morgan? Or some other combination that maybe, just maybe, doesn't involve Abby, that is getting overlooked?

I will now run for cover.

20. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    This. Exactly. Though I think Tarp at least didn't used to be like this so much, but the others yes. They did the same thing in Boston with Kelly Smith (the injury wasn't the only thing tiring her out...). This is why I liked Kai. Probably her personality plays into the whole "I won't defer to Abby" mentality. I also enjoyed seeing the wnt in 2008 without Abby, even if they had other problems.

21. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I remember when Tarp was one of the top scorers on the team. (She was very polite to me when I asked for her auto) I agree it was nice to see them without Abby in 2008 because they actually had to change things up. Who would have thought Angela "Waste of Air" Hucles knockin in goals during the Olympics, Carli "Air Ball" Lloyd hitting the gold medal winner, and Natasha "Flash in the Pain" Kai netting a game winner to advance the team and ending the year out as the team's goal scorer of the year.

22. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Kai is the US women's version of Eddie Johnson.

All speed/athleticism, low technical skill, low tactical understanding of the game.

No thanks, next.

23. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    One thing I've noticed on these boards especially in the US men's forums is that any player of colour is always considered to be all athleticism and no technical skills.

Just say you don't like her because now your children want tattoos.

If you want to pass on her go ahead. The problem lies in the fact that no one is next. I'd gladly put her on squad.

24. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    No that's A-Rod.;)

25. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    You know that reminds me of a pic I have from isi during an Olympic tourney practice where Tasha was actually talking to A-Rod schooling her on the game. :cool:

SN: I keep hearing that Kate might be done is this true?