US vs Mexico 12/8/04: pre/during/post/etc. [R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Julius, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    The U.S. Women’s National Team will play its final match of the highly successful 10-game “Fan Celebration Tour” on Wednesday, December 8th against Mexico at The Home Depot Center in Carson, California. (kickoff 8 p.m. PT, 11 PM ET). With the confirmation of the last match of the tour, the final game in the legendary international careers of soccer pioneers Mia Hamm and Julie Foudy is now set. THE GAME WILL BE TELEVISED LIVE ON ESPN CLASSIC.

Joy Fawcett, who played every minute of the last three Women’s World Cups and Olympic Games for the USA, will not play due to an injury, but is set to appear at the match so fans can bid farewell to three of the greatest female players in history. Both Foudy and Fawcett grew up in Orange County, an hour’s drive South down the freeway from the Home Depot Center. More info: http://www.ussoccer.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=127918 "What are your thoughts on the 3 women and the game Wednesday? Also please check out Sports Century: Mia Hamm at 7:30 PM ET (Reair 1:05 AM ET 12/9) and Cassic Big Ticket the 99 WWC final between US and China at 8:30 PM ET (Reair 2:05 to 4:35 AM 12/9) all on ESPN Classic."

2. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weather Forecast

The current forecast for Wednesday for Carson, CA is:

63% chance of precipitation in morning, complete cloud cover
    still chance of rain in afternoon, partial cloud cover
    temperatures from 4-8pm should be in 60 degree area & dropping
    by end of game, skies should be clear, temp as low as 50

3. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I can't wait for this match. Being the last game in a few months, I hope we see ALL our ladies (not just the retiring three) give it their all and give us fans something to remember.

With the news that ESPN Classic is also airing the 1999 final as well as a career tribute to Mia, Wednesday could turn out to be a pretty nostalgic, feel-good evening.

Is anyone else thinking they'll tear up a little bit at the end of the game? :)

4. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Request

If anyone has all the WWC games with the US from 1999 original broadcasts only from ESPN and ESPN 2) including the final (Original ABC broadcast from start to finish not from ESPN classic Big Ticket broadcast) and all US women's soccer games from the 2000 olympics on the NBC networks on VHS in HI-FI sound or mono sound please send me a private message or e-mail me at Juliu67040@aol.com because I would love to have this. I do have all the US women's soccer games from 2003 WWC and this year's Olympics in which I need a VHS copy of the first 2004 olympic women's soccer game Vs Greece because our cable system Comcast of Northeast/Northwest Philadelphia had tech problems causing commercials to cut into the game a lot. Make sure that the game Vs Greece when you view the tape does not have local cable commercials during the run of play. Thanks Here is the ESPN Classic site: http://espn.go.com/classic/index.html

5. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
    Re: Request

So what will be our starting lineup for Wednesday in your opinions?

6. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.

7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado

GK: Scurry
    RB: Rampone
    CB: Reddick
    CB: Kate
    LB: Chastain
    DM: Boxx
    RM: Foudy
    LM: Lilly
    AM: Tarpley
    FW: Wombat
    FW: Mia

I would bet some money on this lineup, the only possible change would be Wagner for Tarpley.

I hope Ape subs Jules out in the 85th minute, and Mia about three minutes later, and let the crowd give them a standing ovation. Joy should be given an announcement over the loudspeaker to honor her achievments as well, the most underrated player ever in the history of this team....ever.

8. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Fawcett will play for sure, it's her show....

9. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC

This is the one and only match of the olympic that i don't like, it wasn't competitive game, we all over them from the beginning 'till the end ....

10. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA

But Like I said I would like to get a tape of it anyway. If you have it PM me or E-mail me.

11. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Any word on ticket sales?

12. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    its increadibly sad that this game isn't as special as it should be. It seems like the Fed short changed these ladies. There should be more fan fare.

13. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    Merrill Ring wrote a piece on the Retiring superheroes:

‘Twas the Day Before Their Final Game

14. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    3-0 USA 26 minutes in. Wambach with 2, Wagner with the other. Hamm with 2 assists thus far. They are playing well and making sure to send the ladies off with a win.

15. Beakmon FC

Beakmon FC Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Jan 10, 2002
    The OC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure Disney/ABC/ESPN is thrilled with the close up of Chastain and getting to hear her scream "I don't give a sh__ what the score is!" :)

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made me laugh.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that is 4. Boxx with a nice shot from outside the 18.

18. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Indeed. Nearly identical to Steven Gerrard's finish earlier today.

I'm gonna miss the Mia-Abby strikeforce.

19. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    I think we all are.

20. cloudedmind

cloudedmind BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 7, 2004
    Silver Spring, MD

Mia's last assist: a corner kick to Abby Wambach's head....

21. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A wonderful occasion, thanks for many years of enjoyment to Julie, Joy and Mia. Interesting symbolism in the Garciaparra jersey.

Although they deserved better than an 11 pm game on ESPN 8 the Ocho....

22. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Zeiglr article

It's a wrap for Hamm and fellow '91ers

That's the end of the on line article, it wasn't it the print version - but that version also had a little bit that isn't in the online article.

And neither version mentioned how outgoing Mia was after the game, when each of the Big 3 took their turn at the microphone. She was the one to make sure that Cuellar and the Mexican team were thanked...

23. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Soccer account

Hamm, Foudy close careers with 5-0 victory over Mexico

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I'm just stunned they couldn't sell out the whole HDC.

25. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I'm sure if there had been more promotion and awarweness of the match, as well as playing on a more fan-friendly night (say Friday or Saturday), I think they would've sold it out. There seemed like more than 15K on TV, probably due to all the loud screaming! :D

It doesn't matter too much, though. What matters is that three of the best players in women's soccer history went out on a high note in a match full of excitement. I wish them well in the future and now look forward to watching the growth of the "new" national team.