Us vs ES General Postgame Thread (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jul 21, 2013.

1. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm Torres, I keep tapping the ball so as to "delay" the pass, allowing Donovan time to come to an onside position.

ChrisSSBB and orcrist repped this.
  2. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    No need to tap the ball just keep your foot on it as long as possible but you better time it right or it could be evolve into the funniest soccer video ever.

3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    In the first half they had the same routine but Torres waited and played a backheel when LD was close to level with the ball.

4. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Racism, unfortunately is still very common in Southern Europe and football. Still, you don't have to worry about getting punched.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he can do it against better competition as well even but I still wanna confirm that he's shaken all the rust off before I claim he's back and at his best. I agree he should start with the a team but at lm not underneath the striker. I would be so happy if our team looked like this next game...

-------------------Jozy-----------------
    Donovan-------Dempsey---------zusi
    ------------jones------Bradley--------
    Fabian-----Besler-----cam-----chandler
    -----------------Howard----------------

MadRHatter repped this.
  6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

More like why would fans fight each other (especially when they might be both ES fans)?

Besides I didn't say it was, I said it could be, and it would explain the abhorrent behaviour. Stop being so defensive.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Dallas it seems many Salvadorans are split between their old country and new. If ES plays poorly they start rooting for the US. Certainly not every fan is this way and they may be even edgier if they see their countryman cheering both.

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when white people get in fight at a stadium are they aryan nation vs. kkk or in rival motorcycle gangs? What about Asians? Yakuza vs Triad?

Did you see gang signs or any other evidence of gang activity? My vote is a few drunken Salvadorean douchbags that wanted to play football hooligan with a couple of gringo marks.

9. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    So this thread is now about a video of a fight between scary brown people. Clueless white suburbanites speculate. <unsubscribe>

slaminsams and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You do realize it was brown vs brown? You should stop being so defensive.

Only reason I mentioned it might be gang related was because it looked to be Salvadorean vs Salvadorean.

11. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    As to violence at sporting events obviously none of you have ever been to a College football game at death valley, or you would drop the whole ethnocentric xenophobic "murica is better than everybody else"aspects to this conversation.

We are not all that much better. When you consider all the breaks in our sports that tends to allow the tension to reset. Soccer builds tension the longer the game is in doubt, it is not about the people it is about the differences in the game. If MLS was more than a second rate league with footy that really mattered to millions upon millions of people we might have in ground pop up water cannons at our SSS's as well.

It is a problem that is fixable, but other than NATs it is not an issue here because not enough people care that much. If it was a mainstream important sport in our culture we would have the same stuff until the authorities took measures to prevent it. Concacaf should know, but since it is not a big issue here why spend 150-200k for security when there is seldom a serious problem. .

12. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    An oddly tone deaf post. Its not the fault of the people but the game but it doesn't matter to
    Americans so why have security in a stadium where 4 countries are playing and 2 of them are historical enemies who fought a war during CONCACAF Qualifying in 1969? Really?
    Our sports have breaks in them so when we play International Baseball or International Football there's no violence due to the breaks in the game? And because MLS sucks there's no violence because no one cares but you gloat that if it was there would be more violence and that's a good thing? Its a problem that's fixable? The violence or the fact our soccer is so unimportant in the US?

Dignan repped this.
  13. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Lol bringing up a war which by the way people post about make it sound like some filled hatred to which by the way it is not they get along.

This is just a case of people having way too much to drink I don't know the rules for serving alcohol during footy games, do they do a cutoff so no more is available in the second half like NBA (honest question). Add in how much some drank prior (tailgates) it was bound to happen.

14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    No just trying to point out a few points that would be obvious to CONCACAF who is running the tournament in terms of security. Not blaming a war on throwing things onto the field. I agree its alcohol fueled but also think that a bit of a cop out. No matter the issue there has to be a security plan in place when 4 teams are playing 2 games and not separating fans. Just stupid.

15. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

I agree in extra security that should be a no-brainer but there should a cut off to alcohol preferably cutting it off once the second half starts. That vid alone everyone had obviously had a couple not counting if they drank any outside prior.

16. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    What? Serious question.

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't need to separate the fans, but a few security guards around the building in addition to people around to take tickets would help a lot.

18. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Well sorry for my bad grammatical errors what It was supposed to say is that people bring up that war in such a way to try an act like both sides have a some sort of hatred towards each other to which in reality they really don't. Both fan bases get along well from what I know with the occasional trash talk and sadly drunken brawls.

19. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    After I wrote that I caught myself. Didn't really expect fan separation just a process where security, fans, Police have a way to protect themselves.

20. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I'm with you. Unlike a lot of American soccer announcers, Gus isn't completely clueless, and he's incredibly fun to listen to. Haters gonna hate.

morange92 and the Next Level repped this.
  21. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I'm several pages behind on this, so I don't know if this has been responded to, but I've watched the replay a few times and it looks like there was a player maybe a step off of the goal for El Salvador.

22. TheyCallMeBruce

TheyCallMeBruce Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think we'd probably be a top 5 team in that case. Consecutive WC semis? How many teams have done that recently? In the last 6 WCs, only Germany and Brazil have made consecutive semifinals.

23. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Riverdance: USMNT Edition

SUDano repped this.
  24. The Foo Fighter

The Foo Fighter Member+

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, to be just top 10 we don't need to do a whole lot more. If we win the Gold Cup we will be right around 15. So with good showings throughout our last qualifiers and friendlies leading up to the WC we could be right around 10.

25. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi. Welcome to BigSoccer. Here in News and Analysis we expect people to avoid casting their argument in merely polemical and/or ad hominem terms. Specifically, we don't allow folks to rely on internet favorites like "hater" "fanboy" and "butthurt" . Thanks for paying attention to this in the future.

And frankly, I disagree. Gus is poorly informed about soccer. That's entirely forgivable and will improve, I'm sure, but it's his basic shtick of volume and catch-phrases instead of substance that I've never liked. Don't like it when he does it with basketball. Don't like it when he does it with soccer. Your mileage may vary, certainly, but in my opinion he detracts from the games he covers.