US vs Cuba - DCU [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by John_Harkes_6, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    This is one of the closest three goal games in history.

2. White Tigre Dad

White Tigre Dad New Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Woodbridge
    Wow, now 4, this is fun to watch, about time.

3. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matchtracker listed the assist to Tino.

Good job kid. Let's make something out of yourself now.

4. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    What's the score? I can't get matchtracker to load...

5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Tino made a terrific pass on Beasley's goal. Totally nullified the entire Cuban defense on a one touch pass into Beasley's path.

p.s. Todd, your bias was particularly naked in this thread, eh?

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    4-1 US, with three scored in the last four or five minutes or so.

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Just like those posters from Baltimore who only glorify the good plays?

I asked whether or not the assist was his, and now that there was confirmation I was writing a post on how nice a pass it was.

He got burned on a corner kick and missed a sitter that was Convey-esque. I turned it on at about minute 70-75 and commented on most of the plays Santino was involved in.

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Don't be so sensitive, I was just kidding.

Let me fill you in on the rest of Tino's match. He was solid with only a few mistakes, the sitter and the missed assignment on the corner being the two most glaring. All in all, I think I'd give him MOTM if Donovan hadn't scored two late.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Well that would be just my luck to remember I get Telefutura and turn it on to see those two, wouldn't it? :)

He had a sweet pass to Beas and some nice moves on the wings, and from the 20 minutes I saw I'd say that equates to a fair match considering the sitter and the mark.

If he had a great opening hour though, good on him. It can only help DC when he gets back into the Black and Red.

10. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Ooof, that was ugly, but 4 goals are nothing to be sneezed at. We have now confirmed that we can't come out with our B- team and beat the minnows handily.

If Bruce is to be taken at his word, Tony Sanneh is done. He looked slow and indecisive all match long. He needs not to play for us again, except maybe in midfield, should we ever have a situation where we need a lumbering player with no first touch who can foul a lot.

Impressive:

Tino: A couple of wrong moves, but a very good outing for him. He played with 'fizz', and he was making the best passes on the field.
    Donovan: hate to say it, but he sees the game like nobody else. Sweet free kick past a clueless keeper and misplaced wall.
    Dempsey: hard work, tried some nice stuff. He missed a sitter, but he was coming in a high speed. He always looks to attack and is a hard player. This guy's a lock for 2006.

Unimpressive:

Tony Sanneh: see above
    Casey: this is no way to break the logjam at forward.
    Olsen: worked hard and showed for passes a lot, but nothing there to keep him in the pool past this tournament. I hope it's just rust, but how many more chances will he get?

OK:

Beasley: lost the ball too easily and looked bored for most of the match. When he wants to play, he can be our best player. Great vision in the box.
    Conrad: I'd like to see him again.
    Hejduk: we know what we get with him. Tons of work and commitment. Marginal skill. There's no quit in this boy.

Special mention: Cuba is a collection of marginally talented, fouling hacks. Low rent move to not give back the ball after we put it out on their injury. Cheap shot fouls away from the ref are nice too. I was hoping they'd try that on Sanneh. Once.

Overall: This is a team we would have lost to a few years ago.

I have DirecTV and the picture was bad. If this were print, I'd say the registration was off.

11. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I'll probably regret this, but since I'm making myself a DVD anyway, if anyone wants a copy, let me know.

The video isn't great despite being a Tivo recording of a satellite feed, but if you never got to see it at all, it's better than nothing.

First five people to PM me are the lucky winners.

12. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I may consider expatriatism if Hejduk ever suits up for the MNT again.

13. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I didn't think he had a bad game. He did what he always does. No surprises. An honest effort. And he can play the right and left sides.

Who are the alternatives? Convey? Albright? Califf?

Gibbs, Onyewu, Cherundolo, Pope, Berhalter. This is the bulk of our pool.

Wynne and Spector are prospects, but they're young.

We're very thin at the back.

I know, mods, this is WAY off topic for this forum.

14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I may consider expatriatism if Vanney ever suits up for the MNT again.

Thank God he's not on this roster.

Thx,

Jay!

(To make it DC United-related, I thought Tino had a good game. A Great Game for both he and Olsen if you consider how long they've been outside the USMNT setup).

15. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Yeah, well Dave... talentless Frankie is gonna be on the WC team next year.

16. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I thought he was lucky not to pick up a second yellow for a blatant handball when Pineda played advantage. Now that he's slowing down, he's coming in later on those tackles, and he's never had a great head for the game, nor can he cross to save himself.

No, you're right about that. I just think that a better team would have destroyed him tonight.

Thanks. I have been working out.

17. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Before Donovan subbed in, Tino and Demspey were most of the US attack. Tino was much more effective than his rookie counterpart on the left wing, Brad Davis. Considering that right wing for the Nats consists of Steve Ralston and loose change, Tino has a real opportunity here.

18. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I guess no one ever really considered that when Tino' flubbed that opportunity in front of goal that the the overall chances of a Frankie Hejduk cross making it to it's intended target is about 1 in 1000 :p

Seriously though, I thought Tino played very well on a night when few players played well overall.

I can't believe no one has mentioned either the sure goal that was saved from a Tino shot that was heading near post upper 90. One of the better reaction saves I've seen in this region in a while from the opposition.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The thing that impressed me most about Tino was his work off the ball.

20. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    I personally think he has some of the best passing skills in the US. I mean some of the passes were phenominal. There was one early in the first half where he chipped it over one Cuban on the ground, through the legs of another, but Dempsey(?) let it go through his legs as well. It was kid of like - how the hell did he do that.

And for those who say he is always laughing and not serious - when he missed the curling shot in the first half he had a look like someone had just shot his dog. I think we may finally be seeing the potential this kid has locked inside him.

Say what you will - but I think the hiring of Nowak has a lot to do with the transformation.

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Tino played very well. Some great passing, but he gets going so fast sometimes the ball just gets away from him. He'll stop that with more playing time, I think. Sublime passing. I still say Tino plays the best thru-passes to running forwards of anyone I've seen in a while in a US shirt. The sitter he missed just hit him on the wrong foot in the wrong part of a step, a half step later, he buries it with the right foot, instead it bounces off the left heel. I loved his looping runs in and out of the box. And he covered well for Dempsey and Frankie to make runs.

Even Ray Hudson was excited to see Tino on the team, he was beaming about him being in the line-up on American Soccer, or whatever that GolTV show is called.

My girlfriend enjoyed watching Ben hold his junk after he got kicked in the jimmies. Ouch.

22. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    Lanky, if you need a little seed money to get your immigration started, let me know. Happy to help. I say go for Germany and then we'll all have a place to crash during the WC. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just a floor for my sleeping bag.

As far as the match goes, it was like night and day between when Casey was on and when Donovan replaced him. The team was just soooooooo much quicker, decisive, and aggressive without the lumbering oaf up there getting in everyone's way.

Tino's game was very, very nice. Yes, he flubbed a sitter. Big deal. He was repeatedly the most dangerous player out there until Bigtime came on. Tino's game was at a different level from everyone else for most of the game. He was flying out there. This will benefit DCU.

As for Olsen, he was more effective and energetic than I expected. I didn't see a lot that was too bad. I expected worse with rust. He had some very nice little plays breaking up the midfield that could have setup bigger plays but for the lack of "umph" in the team first half. I think he earned another look. The worrisome part from a DC view is that if he continues at his reckless rate, he's coming back injured. Let's hope not. Knock on wood.

Tim

23. hala-cosmos

hala-cosmos Member

Apr 15, 2003
    no, he played well i thought with what little help he was getting. i was more afraid for his life than anything.

24. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    The most impressive thing about this thread is that every post has been at a minimum at least somewhat intelligent unlike the USNA Board.

Tino - I think he has a real shot at the outside mid position. He played some great through ball and may have the best vision on the entire US team. I will forgive him for missing the sitter because I think the ball just hit him wrong. His touch on the ball before the shot that hit condrad was world class. He missed his mark on the corner and had a bad offsides that resulted from him not getting back in time. His off the ball runs and positioning were very good. The thread on USNA went some 300-350 posts and no one even discussed Tino playing right mid before I brought it up and was ignored. Idiots.

Ben - Did not have a bad game but did nothing to earn another look. Ben went from being a lock at the right mid position to good but not steller MLS player who has no place on the national team. It pains me to say that but I think it is true.

Dempsy - The most fustrating player on the US team. The kid has talent and has a great knack for being in the rights place at the right time. Our total futility in the first half could be in great part attributed to Dempsy. He lacks the ability to control the midfield, dictate the pace of the game, force the ball to move through him, make himself an always available option. He is the reason that we had so many problems in the first half moving the ball through the midfield. Notice how RUNDMB had to backtrack into the midfield to position right in front of the defenders or in front of armas to get things moving. That said the kid scored and had some steller plays. I am not sure what position he should play for the national team.

LD - Has to suck for Cuba to score your first goal in 50+ years, look like you are going to tie the US and have them sub on LD, JOB and Josh. Just has to suck. LD is the best player in our region. Scoring the big goals is a great sign.

JOB - Good to see him on the field. Look foward to his next start.

Sannah - was horrible, and has no place on the field. Nuff said.

Heydude - was our best player for most of the game. I hate to say it but he played well on defense, contributed to the attack, and covered for conrad.

Conrad - Is not as good as Berhalter, Pope, Gooch, Gibbs or Boco.

25. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999

Well, I agree with you on most everything save the part about Olsen not earning another shot. Granted, he did not excel, but the position that he played is the toughest one to look "good" while doing it effectively. I thought he was effective and saved Armas' butt many times. Then again, I am rather biased.

I agree most about the USNat forums. Those things are just horrid. It's like spending the day in a nice cool pub, sipping on (or slugging) a few nice beers maybe having some chicken fingers (not summers), then stepping out of the dark pub directly into circus sideshow convention and its a 95 deg / 95 % day with sun so bright it pains your eyes.

I ask the mods to consider this before they jump in to jack boot future US Mens threads in here. If nothing else, please consider allowing us a little leeway in the vein that it benefits you too (honestly, tell me you like the US Nat forums), pretty please...

Tim