Pre-match: US vs. Canada lineup projections

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by FlipsLikeAPancake, May 31, 2012.

1. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting game against Brazil. We created lots of chances, which was heartening. We gave up 4 goals, which was less encouraging.

Regardless, it is behind us; time to look towards the next game against Canada.

Here's the lineup I'd play:

-------------Boyd----------------
    Torres----Dempsey----Gomez
    -------Edu-----Beckerman-----
    Castillo----------------Parkhurst
    -----Cameron--Goodson--------
    -------------Howard--------------

Second half subs: Donovan, Bradley, Johnson, Jones, Onyewu, Altidore

My rationale is that I do want to see our best guys play....but also I want to keep our guys fresh for the games that matter. Thus, I'd bring on a lot of starters in the 2nd half. I find it unlikely that Klinsmann will choose this approach, but oh well.

Other notes:
    -In his first game back, I don't think Altidore's fitness will be high enough for him to start, hence coming off the bench.
    -On the other hand, I think Dempsey is ready to put in more than a half of work, so start him to improve his fitness.
    -Regarding Cherundolo and Bocanegra: at their age and importance to the team, I'd fully give them the day off.
    -We need to figure out who is going to start next to Boca in the qualifiers, hence giving all 3 other guys time to prove themselves.
    -I'd still play Howard because I want the guys in the defense to build chemistry with the starting keeper.

2. USfootballer89

Mar 6, 2008
    new orleans
    Club:
    CD Olimpia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckerman?? Lol I don't know what he is proving to you guys but to me he shouldn't be no where near this team.

Dignan repped this.
  3. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    how many points in this 3rd group stage game of this "mini-tournament" will the US need to advance to the knock-out rounds to face surprise qualifier Antigua & Barbuda?

knowing that they may need a result in this one could greatly affect Klinsmann's lineup choices versus Canada. (or will the 3 points from the Scotland game be enough for the US to sneak into the knock-out rounds, as is?)

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I predict he will continue to run the starters into the ground before the meaningful matches.

Tom Collingsworth and Dignan repped this.
  5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It would be good to give the first XI (with Dempsey) a run out in the first 45, then pull Bradley and Donovan at least at half.

joelk and FirstStar repped this.
  6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only real position of depth we have is Forward and CB among the field players. Would have been CM, but since JK has started 4 each of the first two games.....

We have almost no depth at all on the wings or with attacking CAMs, bad roster balance by JK. Beasley + another attacking CAM should have been on the roster at the expense of Corona and one of the forwards.

I'd go with the all 2nd unit, save for Jozy and Clint.

-----------------Guzan---------------
    Parkhurst--Goodson--Cameron--Castillo
    ---------------Beckerman-------------
    Wondo---------Dempsey------Corona
    ------------Boyd-----Altidore--------

Bench: Rimando; Dolo, Gooch; Jones, Bradley, Torres; Gomez)

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  7. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's my worry, too. We shall see if JK surprises us.

Altidore remains our top forward and hasn't played yet. He has to start, and there isn't any concern about him being overworked at the moment. I'd also start both Dempsey and Donovan in order to get them more time together. BUT, I'd plan for both to be replaced at halftime. And Dempsey could use the minutes, too.

I'd rest most of the remaining core players (Howard, Cherundolo, Boca, Bradley, Jones, Johnson). I'm unsure about Onyewu, but I might give him some more minutes as a starter and then plan to sub him at the 60th minute.

Here is what I'd do:

-----------------------Altidore--------------------
    Donovan-----------Dempsey-----------Gomez
    -------------------Edu------Torres---------------
    Castillo--------------------------------Parkhurst
    -----------------Cameron---Onyewu------------
    ----------------------Guzan-----------------------

Bench (7): Rimando, Goodson, Johnson, Beckerman, Corona, Wondo, Boyd.

Halftime subs (3): Corona and Wondo for Donovan and Dempsey and switch to 4-4-2. Rimando for Guzan.
    60th minute subs (2): Goodson for Onyewu. Beckerman for either Torres or Edu.
    75th minute sub (1): Boyd for Altidore.

Tom Collingsworth, joelk and tab5g repped this.
  8. knoxtnhorn

knoxtnhorn Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Beckerman? LOL. Guy had one touch in 15 minutes last night as a center mid. I'd rather bring Chris Armas out of retirement.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  9. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This, at least in the attacking end. We need Jozy, Clint and Landon on the field together in front of whatever mids will be providing service.

HOWEVER, please pull some of the key guys at half-time. Don't run them into the ground before Guatemala.

joelk repped this.
  10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I'm not totally convinced that Cameron is part of the 2nd unit based on Gooch's performance last night.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were Cameron/Boca starting for us in WCQ.

11. kturk15

kturk15 New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would a flip between Gomez and Dempsey work?

12. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You two both seem to have missed the point.

We're playing 5 games in 18 days. The last two games, the qualifiers, are the only ones that matter. Hence I'm deliberately advocating starting mostly backups to rest our key players.

If it really bugs you, then put Corona in on the left wing and shift Torres to Beckerman's spot. My point isn't to advocate for Beckerman. It's to give players like Jones and Bradley a rest.

Klinsmann has shown a affinity for playing Dempsey in the hole, and Gomez plays RW for his club. Still, I'd imagine them interchanging a lot, so sure you could switch them.

Tom Collingsworth and FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  13. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------------Altidore--------------
    Dempsey---------------Corona--
    --------Torres --Bradley---------
    ------------Beckerman-----------
    Castillo----------------Parkhurst
    --------Goodson--Cameron-----
    ---------------Guzan-------------

14. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    I'd like to see a switch back to the 4-4-2. Gomez at one forward. Altidore and Boyd split time at the other. Dempsey and Donovan at the attacking mid spots. I think given current personnel and form this will work best in the qualifiers.

15. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I see something like this...

Guzan
    Parkhurst Goodson Cameron Castillo
    Beckerman Edu
    Gomez Dempsey
    Boyd Altidore

Wondo &/or Corona could start too. This one is going to be the hardest of them all to predict. I dont think Jurgen would go with this formation but I dont know what players he would put where to implement his style on the other hand. I expect the back four to be those 4 & Beckerman is a lock to rest Jones & Bradley but otherwise its a complete shot in the dark.

Subs: Rimando, Corona, Wondolowski, Donovan, Torres, Johnson, Onyewu

16. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the lineup. Great call, hopefully it looks like this.

17. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would replace a player with the potential of Gooch after one game? Its one bad game. One game does not represent a player on bad form.

18. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree, you can't write Gooch off after one bad game. But yesterday it showed the importance of having a cb in JKs system that is comfortable on the ball and can pass out the back. I think it's too late for Gooch to add that to his game, which will limit our attacks.

19. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Please JK rest some guys. Please, Please.

I do want LD and Clint to start though, play 45. They need to play together a bit more, Clint needs to get a good run, and LD needs a chance to get his touch back.

-------------------Altidore-----------------
    -----Corona-----Dempsey-----Donovan--
    --------------------Torres-------------------
    ------------------Beckerman---------------
    -Castillo--Cameron--Goodson--Parkurst-
    ---------------------Guzan------------------

LD and Dempsey come off at half. Replaced by Gomez and Wondo. Maybe Corona shifts central.
    Rimando for Guzan also at half.
    Edu for Torres around 60.
    Boyd for Jozy at 75.

20. sawillis

sawillis Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Smyrna, TN
    Potential isn't a word I would use for someone his age...By the time you reach that point you should say caliber or talent, but not potential. But I doubt you could say that "You would replace a player with the talent of Gooch after one game?" At some point the youth movement in the back must start. We need Chandler at RB. Find the CB pairing for WC2014 and go with it.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Altidore, Dempsey and Howard mixed in with the backups.

----------Altidore----Wondolowski----------
    Dempsey----Edu----Beckerman----Corona
    Castillo---Onyewu---Goodson---Parkhurst
    -------------------Howard-------------------

22. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Cameron and/or Ream are the future at left center defense. Boca should have been phased out last Fall. We are not going anywhere in a world cup final with Boca getting significant minutes. Too slow and terrible on the ball. Same thing with Gooch. Goodson is the man on the right side against most teams in qualifying this year. By the time we get into the Hex we better hope that John gets long looks and Gonzalez returns to previous health and form.

sawillis repped this.
  23. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I obviously dont mean potential in the same manner that I would use it for a young player. This last season he had with Sporting was very good. There en-lies his potential. He just had a bad game & came back from injury not too long ago. I have every belief that Onyewu will again have that type of season next year. He obviously is better all together than what he showed vs Brazil. Potential is the capacity to develop into something in the future. I still think that even though he is getting older, he could still become a better player. He just needs to stay healthy for a full year which hasnt happened in a while.

sawillis repped this.
  24. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally dont see Goodson ever being a fixture (starting 11) in the US team. The likes of Gonzalez, John, Ream, & Cameron will be the replacements likely if they develop properly. Goodson has never & never will get to the level of Gooch & Boca. People forget him & Gooch are the same age (30). I think Gooch & Boca will be around in 2014, it remains to be seen whether they will be starters or not though.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Guzan will get this one.

I wouldn't be surprised with Guzan in the 1st half and Rimando in the second.

Otherwise I'm fine with your lineup.