Post-match: US v Guatemala: The Pollyanna Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nutmeg, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I started the Pollyanna thread after the U23 game against the Dutch. I may as well man up and start a thread here, too. Rules of the Pollyanna threads:

- You're looking for the positives of the game
    - Criticism, even fair or even-tempered, should be taken elsewhere

The point of the Pollyanna thread is that even though there may be aspects of the game to criticize, this is the one thread to put those thoughts aside for a minute and celebrate the accomplishment. Because last night's result was an accomplishment. It's simple, you have many threads in N&A where you can be critical of the team right now. If you don't have the self-discipline to not be critical in one thread, please don't post here.

Mods, please support us here.

So here are the good things I saw:

- Soccer, IMO, is a war of attrition. The team that ends up making the killer mistake loses. The US didn't make the killer mistake last night. We played hard and made Guatemala beat us. And they couldn't. I thought Bradley's and Mastroeni specifically kept level heads and kept their overall mistakes down. Sure, Mastroeni could have gotten a second yellow, but I think he interpreted what the ref was letting go and played within that.

- Many times in inflammatory situations the US team kept their heads down and walked away. In CONCACAF qualifying, there is not a tougher, "manlier" thing to do. Reacting is easy. It's what the opponent wants. When you ignore them and play on, you really do start getting in their head.

- After the Lewis takedown, which was one of the uglier incidents I've seen in a while, the US came alive. It was almost as if the collective team realized, "that's their best shot? That's it? OK, let's play." We were much better after that foul. Kudos to the players' character in response.

- Boca. I've ripped him elsewhere for distribution, but the guy knows how to get open on set pieces. It's remarkable.

- Onyewu - so calm and composed in the back. Remember how into his head that bastard Ruiz was in the Gold Cup? Onyewu responded bigtime last night. He was so calm, so composed, and so intense, Ruiz couldn't touch him.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    We got the win. The '02 and '06 squads did not.

3. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    DaMarcus was terrific. Turned the match around.

4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Agreed about Beasley. I love the ability he has to hang onto the bal. The U-23 team really could've used someone like that in the last couple of minutes of the Netherlands game.

5. Prime Time

Prime Time Member

May 1, 2004
    South Florida
    We won and that is the most positive thing to take out of the entire game. :)

6. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 points.

Beasley showed he is coming back to full speed and should start the rest of the year.

Onyewu and Bocanegra minimized the mistakes in the back and once again proved to be a threat on set pieces.

Howard is a clear number 1 in the back.

Edu got some minutes.

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 points off the supposed toughest game in this round.... That's it.....

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best game that I have seen Gooch and Boca player together. Both were composed and played within themselve (I.e. didn't try to do too much).

For the amount of possession, the Guats has very few real chances.

Ching was great later in the game holding the ball and still putting pressure on the Guats. Sure, you would like to have score a goal, but how many opportunities did he have...

1-0 baby.

9. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just glad for once, Guatemala's dirty tactics backfired on them.

10. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm ecstatic that Guatemala didn't get the benefit of the doubt on the potential hand ball in the box. Karma for all the ridiculous theatrics, imo.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm shocked that a CONCACAF ref sent off a home team player AND disallowed a home team goal.

12. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    There's lots to criticize and nitpick, but I'm glad for this thread because, after all, this was exactly the sort of victory we'd aimed for. It was going to be tough, it was going to be ugly, but we managed to begin the round with the full 3 points in the away match that was clearly the most difficult on paper. In terms of winning the group, this win is a big one. I'll gladly save the criticism for another thread.

And I'm backing up the points you'd mentioned above. They're good ones. And yeah, Boca's got his use, and that's that he (and Gooch) continues to be a set-piece goal machine. Two things about this team this cycle that have consistently been excellent: goalkeeping and converting set-pieces. Last night was no different. It might not be the sexiest, most resounding praise, but it is significant: we convert set piece opportunities, consistently, like a top 10 squad. That means points when points are hard to come by. If it continues to be a strength (and it should be, as we have at least 3 excellent targets in the box--Boca, Gooch, and Dempsey, as well as several others to a lesser degree--and a couple guys who can provide pretty good-or-better service) that could mean valuable points in South Africa, the difference between defeat and a draw, or a draw and a win. Not sexy, not the strength that we'd prefer, but a significant strength nonetheless that we'll take.

13. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    a big part of the reason I believed the ref had a good game.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's from Suriname, right? I can't imagine a Central American ref making calls in our favor in Guatemala (or Honduras, El Salvador, Mexico, Panama, etc).

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    One more (surprising) thing: for a change, I actually agreed with Bob's sub-ons. Not so much the game plan, mind you, but the sub-ons were the right ones. I think Lewis's injury made those decisions easier for him, actually.

16. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Number ONE: Eddie Lewis walked away from one of the worst collisions I've ever seen. I was immediately out of my chair when it happened, and did not expect to see him conscious that soon, let alone walking under his own power. After that incident, I didn't particularly care about the game, especially having to watch a "player" like Carlos Ruiz perform his pathetic act.

After Bocanegra's recent problems at the club level, it was nice to see him have a big match. Numerous key defensive plays, and a sweet clinical finish on the header (kudos to Beaze and Ching on the play also).

Even though we lost our composure on a few occasions, on the whole we persevered admirably in that department, ignoring a lot of the b.s. that could have led to more ugliness, even more cards, and a lack of focus.

Three points for us, nothing for cheapshotters. Not pretty, but I'll take it.

Oh. One other thing... I think we all saved a little energy in terms of the amount of light coming out of our tv screens.

17. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, what was up with the lack of light in Mateo Flores Stadium? They looked like they were playing in the dark!

18. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - 3 points

- High character keeping it together in difficult circumstances.

- Gooch was great. He looks confident again.

- Howard (Not a surprise, of course.)

- Smart subs from Bradley

- Maurice Edu - who is going to be incredible - got tested in a pressure cooker and did great.

- The win in our toughest match will give Bradley the chance to play younger players later in the round

19. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I would have settled for a tie. Even if the Chapines had scored in the final minutes, I would have been OK with it.

But getting three points in one of the toilet bowl venues of Central America is just specatacular.

Meanwhile, Tim Howard, if he stays healthy over the next dozen years, will be the greatest goalkeeper in the history of US soccer.

He is going to spend a lot of time this cycle saving our a$$es (apologies for the implicit criticism, but it is wrapped in a really HUGE compliment).

20. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    + 3 big points, on the road, in Central America.

+ Onyewu played a very good match. There were even a few instances where he actually played the ball on the ground as an outlet to one of the midfielders. There may be hope yet.

+ Bradley made smart subs after the Guatemalan was sent off. Hedjuk was necessary for the extra defensive cover. Beasley, of course, played well, getting us that vital assist.

+ Props to Boca for getting so wide open on that header goal. Didn't play the best of games defensively, but that goal was huge.

+ Finally, credit to all the guys for keeping their heads on straight after that outlandish shot to Eddie Lewis's head. They played tough and took it to the Guatemalans, making them pay, at home, for their stupidity.

21. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
  22. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positives:

- Despite being overrun in the midfield to open the second half, ultimately, we did not concede. It was a time in the game it could have all gone terribly wrong, but we held on.

- Howard makes a lot of people on our team look really good because he is playing out of his mind right now.

- Beasley looked lively coming in.

- We all deride our set piece strategy as our only offense, and maybe rightfully so, but damn if it didn't work again. We score A LOT on set pieces, enough to stop considering it a fluke.

- We took all kinds of massive pressure off ourselves with 3 points in the hardest fixture of the group. 3 more points in Havana coupled with T & T getting anything against Guatemala all but puts us through after only 2 games played.

- Lewis walked off the field alive and semi-coherent.

23. Arid_Torpor

Arid_Torpor Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch defended well. Howard was Howard.

A particularly excellent corner.

Bradley made some smart subs that really paid off.

We generally kept our composure.

We got 3 points. On the road. In Central America.

24. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Brian Ching got a shot off!!!!

25. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to see the match, so I didn't break anything in my house.

Three Points.

I positively hate Pollyanna Threads! :D