US Squad for July 11th

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Fire-Chop, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Fire-Chop

Fire-Chop New Member

Jun 8, 2004
    My first post here I might as well post USMNT news.

Just saw this today on ussoccer.com

Looks like Gaven is getting his look and Brian Ching is back. I don't think Gaven will get a cap, but a look in camp is a good start for him.

Looks to be a good mix of experience and youth in this squad.

Albright, Chris D 6'1" 185 01/14/79 9/1 Philadelphia, Pa. L.A. Galaxy (MLS)
    Armas, Chris M 5'7" 150 08/27/72 57/2 Brentwood, N.Y. Chicago Fire (MLS)
    Beasley, DaMarcus M 5'8" 145 05/24/82 35/4 Ft. Wayne, Ind. Chicago Fire (MLS)
    Bocanegra, Carlos D 6'0" 170 05/25/79 25/4 Alto Loma, Calif. Fulham FC (England)
    Cherundolo, Steve D 5'6" 145 02/19/79 19/0 San Diego, Calif. Hannover 96 (Germany)
    Ching, Brian F 6'1" 195 05/24/78 1/0 Haleiwa, Hawaii S.J. Earthquakes (MLS)
    Convey, Bobby M 5'8" 150 05/27/83 25/1 Philadelphia, Pa. D.C. United (MLS)
    Donovan, Landon M 5'8" 148 03/04/82 51/16 Redlands, Calif. S.J. Earthquakes (MLS)
    Gaven, Eddie M 6'0" 145 10/25/86 0/0 Hamilton, N.J. MetroStars (MLS)
    Gibbs, Cory D 6'3" 178 01/14/80 11/0 Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Dallas Burn (MLS)
    Howard, Tim GK 6'3" 210 03/06/79 10/0 N. Brunswick, N.J. Manchester United (Eng.)
    Mastroeni, Pablo D 5'10" 170 08/26/76 29/0 Phoenix, Ariz. Colorado Rapids (MLS)
    McBride, Brian F 6'1" 170 06/19/72 76/25 Arlington Heights, Ill. Fulham FC (England)
    Mullan, Brian M 5'8" 150 04/04/78 0/0 Littleton, Colo. S.J. Earthquakes (MLS)
    Pope, Eddie D 6'1" 180 12/24/73 61/6 High Point, N.C. MetroStars (MLS)
    Thornton, Zach GK 6'3" 210 10/10/73 8/0 Edgewood, Md. out of contract
    Wolff, Josh F 5'8" 160 02/25/77 22/6 Stone Mountain, Ga. K.C. Wizards (MLS)
    Zavagnin, Kerry M 5'10" 170 07/02/74 4/0 Plymouth, Mich. K.C. Wizards (MLS)

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow!! Three of my boys (Chingy, Donovan, Mullan), plus my adopted boy, Eddie Gaven!! This looks like it might be fun!!

3. Fire-Chop

Fire-Chop New Member

Jun 8, 2004

In the article that came with this, I was surprised to read that Mullan has not gotten a cap yet. I could have sworn he played in a match or two last year.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see Gaven and Mullan get the call. They've earned it to be sure.

Big Zach gets to workout while he tries to latch on to a new club.

Howard's waiting for his teammates to come here. McBride and Bocanegra still hanging around the USA. Rest of European contingent not called in.

5. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
    So does Gaven play Claudio's roll?

6. kurgen99

kurgen99 New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Just saw this! Good for Eddie Gaven!! I like him. Very smart player.

Good for Brian Ching as well. I've been wondering when he was going to get the call.

Still no Clint Mathis?

7. Fire-Chop

Fire-Chop New Member

Jun 8, 2004

I would think he is more of an attacking midfielder, but he could play a right or left wing.

If he is to get a shot this cycle I think it would be at right midfield.

8. Riceman

Riceman New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Wylie
    Well, Reyna seems more like a Amid than a Dmid in Arena's system so based on this roster I'd like to see this starting line up

Howard
    Albright --- Gibbs --- Mastro --- Convey
    Gaven ---- Armas
    Donovan ---- Beasley
    Wolff ---- Mcbride

9. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Arena plans on using Gaven, and he may not, he could go to a traditional diamond, with Armas holding, Gaven on the right, Beasley on the left, Donovan in the middle. More likely, we would see a dual holding midfield of Armas and Zavagin (maybe Convey), with Gaven on the right and Beasley on the left and LD up top. Personally, I would love to see this, with Convey replacing Armas or Zavagin.

10. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    On USSocceruk it says that EJ was going to get called if he hadn't been hurt.

11. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    This roster is so good on so many levels. I like the new(er) guys being looked at by Bruce. I like the mix of veterans and up-and-comers. But most of all, I like that a few wannabe voices of reason are getting bitch-slapped back to reality. Here are some opinions I've read around here as to why some of these players won't get looked at for the US team:

• Gaven isn't internationally fit. He doesn't play good D. He doesn't take up "optimal" supporting positions.
    • Mullan is "tactically naive." His work rate is subpar. His defense "isn't the greatest."
    • Albright - well the trail of insults thrown his way is too long to start on, regardless of how well he's played for LA this year..
    Despite all this "analysis," here they are --- in Bruce Arena's camp.

Not to mention that Eddie Johnson was also called in, but hurt beforehand. We were all told that Freddy Adu would see the inside of the US locker room before Johnson. Sure he will.

I wonder if some posters even watch the players they comment on with such a facade of objective analysis and reasoned thought. Peel away the cracked plaster, though, and you quickly see for yourself amateur analysts and blindly emotional homers trying desperately to sound smart. And failing - badly.

Hopefully some of the new blood gets some PT, but if not, at least they'll get indoctrinated in the ways of Arena. Should be a fun game.

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    so i assume ching took his place?

13. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

so are you going to the game ???

14. j&bontherock

j&bontherock BigSoccer Supporter

no eric wynalda, john hark ?? i can't believe it....

15. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Ching develop quickly enough to be at least a solid sub by the World Cup. He is coming along in skill, but he starts with a superior frame. When the skill and experience are there, his height will be a huge advantage at the highest level, and by that I mean the latter rounds of the World Cup. I remember seeing the team get abused in the box in '94 and '98 because of a lack of height/jumping ability. I don't think it was a huge problem, but they missed many chances because of it. Ching positions himself well and could be the answer.

16. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Good looking line up with that squad. I really like, but I don't see Bruce starting Gaven first time in, or giving him a start over Mullan, who has been in before. I just hope Eddie gets on the field and plays some quality minutes. Would be great to see, and great motivation for the likes of Szetela and Spector.

17. equakesfan

equakesfan Member

Sep 13, 2002
    San Jose
    Mullan may be "tactically naive" and his defense may not be "the greatest", but to say his work rate is "subpar" is to be "observationally naive". He's usually both the third forward and fifth defender for the Quakes and may be the hardest working player on the Earthquakes.

18. kurgen99

kurgen99 New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Not my first choice for starting defenders.
    Mine would be

Cherundolo --Bocanegra--Vanney--Convey

BA will probably put Gibbs in there instead of Vanney or Convey.

19. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I LOVE Bruce's callups this time around. This oughta be a fun team to watch in Chicago.

When I saw that Gaven got called up, I got chills. Seriously. He's so good now, what can he do with some coaching from The Bruce and playing alongside LD and the other vets? I'm swooning over here.

My hope:

-------------McBride----Wolff-------------
    -----------------Donovan-----------------
    ------Beasley------------------Gaven-----
    ----------------Mastroeni-----------------
    --Convey----Bocanegra--Gibbs--Albright---
    ------------------Howard-----------------

Sub in Ching, Mullan, Zavagnin, and Cherundolo 2nd half. (You get more than 3 subs in friendlies, right?)

20. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might want to check the list again. Vanney didn't get called up this time.

21. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I know it's been awhile since the US has played in Chicago...but geez :)

22. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    So with Gaven listed at 6'0" 145 and Beasley listed at 5'8" 145, a good stiff breeze would knock them both into Section 8.

23. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    I'm glad that BA isn't overlooking the young kids. Its great he called in Gaven but how could he not call in Dempsey who is arguably having a better season?

24. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix

25. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    :rolleyes: