US Soccer, the American way

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by Sonicspride, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    The United States may not be the most elegant or the most safisticated Soccer nation, but its diverse people pull to together to the most difficult moment and they have the will to stay in the task 'till they've out worked anyone.

2. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

:)
    Link?

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I miss Jack.

4. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that from the introduction to the U.S vs Portugal game?

5. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Re: Re: US Soccer, the American way

Yes, it was

6. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    There's a foriegn way of doing US Soccer?

Whoa. This whole Eurosnob conspiracy runs deep.

7. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    I think eventually American soccer will be a hybrid of the best of the European game mixed with the best of the south American game.

I think American coaches can do that, but not by just stayng here in the US to get their US Licenses and coaching experience. How long does that take to do here if you were a high level player? Not long.

They have to travel to Europe and to South America to get their soccer training/coaching experience.

So an ex player will need 6/7 years of coaching training plus game experience to get to that point.

Young guys who had professional soccer experience might not have the patience to put in that kind of time. That is why they have to love the game and coaching first. To the point they would do it for free before they can put that kind of dedication into coaching.

Some if these coaches do nothing for free and just for the love of it.

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

If that happens then US Soccer has failed. It's not enough for the US to be great or even win a World Cup, but to leave a footprint or, at most, set the standard to which Europe and South America should follow. Anything less is an utter waste of time. Why copy anyone else?

9. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    Everyone tries to copy others especially if they are sucessful.

If the US can take the best of Europe and South American soccer and win with it. Like say a World Cup,then everyone who has not won one will follow our lead.

Do you think we are soccer innovators here in this country? Guess again brother.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp As opposed to "US Soccer, the Icelandic way"?

-G

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

We should be. It's not the case now, but it ought to be. Or else what is the point?

12. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    To win is the only goal.

I had a discussion with a lot of coaches. I asked then do they consider themselves inovative? A lot of them lied and said yes.

Then you ask one thing they have done coaching wise that was inventive. Most rethink and say non the honest ones.

Some said very few said they have taken something they have seen, and adjusted what they have seen to make it their own. It is still someone elses originally.

Off the top of my head I could think of only 1 thing that I have invented. That also was an adjustment from something I have already seen.

I will tell you what it is we use different kind of passing styles. One is the square pass game I like it, but once you play the same teams for years they can get used to your game. Even if you have a complicated game. They will get into the passing lanes and stop the on ground passes in a square passing game. You can over come that in one of two ways get the ball off the ground and pass over the defenders head with gliders. Short lofted balls over the defenders heads, or you can have players who make diagonal runs so they can run on to a verticle pass keeping running from one side of the field to the other. So any number of players can possibly hit that runner with a verticle pass while the ball is moved horizontally away from pressure from one side of the fiel;d to the other.

I did not want to have to do that all the time even thought it can work.

So I thought of a little thing that I call the V pass. Where the receiver does not have to be in a verticle or a horizontal passing lane. So the opponent goes in those passing lanes we can still hit the pass in a small space because it is not a perfect verticle or a perfect horizontal pass any more it is to slightly to the left or right of that position.

Is that inventive? Yes, but it just an adjustment to some thing someone already had thought up the square pass.

Richie

13. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I wish there would be a hybrid of Europe and South America here. But right now that kind of integrated game isn't being cultivated. Check out these two items reported in World Soccer magazine:

1) MLS employs 10 head coaches, plus 37 assistant coaches. Only three Hispanics figure in that total, none of them a head coach.

2) MLS runs a nationwide network of summer soccer camps for kids aged 6 to 18. More than 500 coaches are employed -- and nearly 90% of those are British, actively recruited in England and imported for the summer.

The Japanese are the ones bringing in Brazilian coaches. They're going to be kicking our asses all over the pitch one of these days.

14. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Oh please.

15. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw these stats too.

Personally, they scare the shite out of me. I don't know if Japan will be kicking our #sses all over the pitch one day, but anything's possible.

16. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I hate the jingoism of Jack Edwards.