US Open Cup, v2013

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by JBG - Bribe Taker, May 1, 2013.

1. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So starts another chapter of the tournament that is a major highlight for us in the lower levels. Some USL Pro teams start in Round 1, the Battery joins in Round 2 and the MLSers jump into the pool for Round 3. Also new this year are the NASL teams. Love the tournament, love seeing some different teams, both above and below us in the US pyramid. Is this a great sport or what?

http://thecup.us/2013-us-open-cup-d...first-round-100th-tournament-kicks-off-may-7/

NOTE: I meant to include an (R) in the thread title but forgot and now can't seem to find a way to edit that.....can a moderator help a brother out?

2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    going to be a tough run for the boys. May is already a busy month with travel not to mention the regular season match against Charlotte is Tuesday May 14, supposedly the same date as the USOC match. I imagine we will see the game on Wednesday. good thing we look to have a pretty deep squad if we can keep everyone healthy.

I know the Club takes this competition seriously. Also the cash prize has been increased from $100000 to $250,000. with runners up getting $60,ooo the team that advances the further from each respective level get $15,000.

Can't wait to see who our opponents will be!

3. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't play till round 2 which is May 18, however, we do play in Houston on the 19th so it'll still be a problem. The whole schedule is at the bottom of this link:
    http://thecup.us/format-of-100th-ed...r-prize-money-hosting-decisions-team-numbers/

4. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, 2nd round matchups have been posted. We get the winner of Portland Timbers U-23 PDL/Sacramento Gold NPSL. If Portland wins, we hit the road.....3,000 miles of road. So, hopefully Sacramento wins and we stay at home. The good news, if there is any, is that the 2nd round is now on Tuesday, May 21 vice the 18th. We'll be in Houston on the 19th playing a league match against the Dynamo's reserves, so if we have to go to Portland, we're already 1/2 there. I guess it's about as good as we can expect.

http://thecup.us/2013-us-open-cup-potential-second-round-pairings-revealed/

5. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The return of Watto! Going to be tough with the travel and frequency of matches but fingers crossed!

7. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    miss having Watto on our Sunday team, he was intimidating, when he would get pissed off, but fun to hang out with off the field.

8. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trying to look ahead but if we beat Portland U23's we would host San Jose. Now the X-Factor. San Jose has 3 away games in 8 days. Dallas 5/25 Charleston 5/28 Real Salt Lake 6/1. They are not currently in top 5 so points in MLS is probably the priority. Just my thinking, correct me if Im wrong.

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shhhh! don't jinx it!

while we were watching the Houston match yesterday, we found out that the Timbers FO wasn't planning on streaming the U23 match against the Battery for the USOC tuesday night.

But thanks to Dan's article at http://www.chssoccer.net/mr-paulson-stream-the-match/ and a a quick twitter campaign to the Portland owner and pres Merritt Paulson, He announced (via twitter of course) that they will provide a stream of the match (no announcers though)

it might be pushing it but I'm trying to convince him to do a Battery Pres (Andrew Bell) and Portland Pres (Paulson) pairing in the announcers booth Tuesday night!

Mister Obvious repped this.
  10. CorbinSC

CorbinSC Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be watching tonight. I'm impressed Portland's owner was convinced. The power of social media! I hope we can win. It'd be nice to make a deep run and hopefully play a game or two at home. Andrew is calling it too, right? Should be great.

And yeah, I finally remembered my login for this site haha.

Mikey mouse repped this.
  11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Molly Darcy's will be hosting a viewing party tonight. they have a really good set up their (four big flat screens and dedicated staff.. might be a late night but Im going to go.

12. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you pull that off, I'll buy you a Dr. Pepper at the next match!! :D

13. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you guys win in Portland so I can come back up to your wonderful stadium and cheer on my Quakes. Good luck guys!

14. CorbinSC

CorbinSC Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Battery! I think I just saw two fans during the anthem. Relatives I'm assuming? Either way, cool. This looks great with Andrew on the call. Best video stream I've probably ever watched.

15. CorbinSC

CorbinSC Member

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez. Long three minutes. Good win! Hopefully Savage isn't too hurt.

I'm a little confused about these U23 teams being in the Cup. Has it always been like that? I'm all for getting them experience but isn't that giving some clubs two chances to win the cup and the prize money? If a U23 would go on to win everything somehow, would they go to the CCL?

16. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I for one will be curious to see what kind of lineup San Jose trots out there next week.

Mikey mouse repped this.
  17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    me too. its going to be interesting to see what Auggie does as well. I guess injuries and players fatigue will play into.

Battery announced today that the match will be streamed via www.uslnation.com. it was a joy watching the match last night via the Portland Timbers feed with Andrew calling the game. (if you missed it or want to watch it again, it is up at www.portlandtimbers.com)

goindownsouth repped this.
  18. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was an excellent stream...