US Open Cup should be most important trophy

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by bartleby, Nov 22, 2010.

1. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    US open cup dates back to 1914. I think the problem is like you said with a weak federation MLS has no need to hype the open cup. A strong USSF could bring prestige to the Open cup.

In the US the USSF seems to acquiesce to MLS. I dont think MLS wants a strong Open cup. But it would be better for the fans.

2. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I wonder this every time I visit this forum.

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This gets back to what Kenn says: our federation is weak because soccer is not all that popular here. If it was, then maybe professional soccer would've grown out of the amateur and semi-professional teams that competed for the USOC after the American Soccer League folded. It's also worth bearing in mind that our federation has been extremely inept at times, too, which may have also served to hinder soccer's growth.

Finally, it's worth pointing out that the USOC only exists in the consciousness of most American fans because MLS (and the other professional teams) teams are playing in it. I mean, I knew of it when I was in high school only because the men's team I played on entered it a couple times. But it never crossed our minds that, if we won enough games, we might draw the Cosmos or the Sting in a later round. Because it never occured to us, given the history of the event since the ASL folded, that those guys would be interested in entering -- or even invited.

4. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    ok i'll walk back my initial statement from most important trophy to just important trophy or a cool thing to have. Since this is big soccer I'm sure there's someone that still wants to disagree with me and call me names.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I don't know about a straight line cause and effect relationship. Certainly the decisions back in the primordial soup days to go to the more rugby-style game that grew into American Football had an impact that is often underrated. I think our federation is weak for a lot of reasons. But even in countries where soccer is popular, that doesn't necessarily guarantee a strong federation (whatever that means). I think a lot of things have combined to put (and keep) soccer where it is in our hierarchy.

That's absolutely true.

And precious few of them.

Your initial point - that this should be an important competition - is valid. But there are many reasons why it just isn't and likely won't be, most of them having to do with the intrinsic nature of the sport in our country.

[​IMG]

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Don't get me wrong: I was at Championship matches twice when the Fire hosted it. The first one, 21,000 or so fansturned out in pretty crappy weather. That's what it should look like, IMO. A year or two later I also saw the A-League Pittsburgh Riverhounds beat the Rapids in a great early-round match on a crappy field in front of maybe 1,000. That's what it usually is, sadly.

7. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is also a different mentality in the US than in Europe. We,the ones who post on Bigsoccer, can by definition be said to be the hardcore. The average joe sixpack sportsfan on the street finds it very difficult to care about club soccer. Now to that initial indifference add the fact of trying to explain why a tourney where major league teams get to beat up on minor league teams and semipro teams should be important. In England the response seems obvious--because of tradition and the possibility of upsets. Over here the very concept seems a little ridiculous--minor league teams in this country are little more than an afterthought, which is often the reason why attendance in this tourney is so small until the deep late stages where only MLS teams are facing off against each other. In England these teams are not viewed as "minor league", they are viewed as D2 which is a different mentality.

Also there is another angle to this whole thing--which is that MLS simply has no motivation to take this tournament seriously. The US Open Cup presents a classic catch-22. If a major league team beats up a minor league team it's not news--it's simply what they are supposed to do, beating these teams doesn't lend the MLS any credibility nor does it give the teams any exposure given the fact that the tourney is not televised-- except for the final. Should they lose to a minor league team then it's taken by the fans as simply more "evidence" that MLS "sucks" and is not to be taken seriously. In addition, compounding the motivation problem, is the fact that the games "congest" the schedule for MLS teams that typically do not have very deep benches. Many coaches simply choose to throw in all their benchers, trying to rest as many of the starters as they can, thus treating the tournament as a scrimmage and really could not care less if they lose. In fact come coaches in the past have gone on to say that they were relieved to have lost so they could focus entirely on league play!!!

All these problems make fixing the US Open Cup not impossible, but definitely a challenging task. The onus is on US Soccer to choose to build this tournament up. A good first step might be televising the quarterfinals and semifinals.

8. InWoodbridge

InWoodbridge Member

Aug 21, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the USOC but it will never be the most important trophy to the top MLS teams or the teams on the cusp of being a play-off team (heck it seems that the top teams are not that interested in the supporters shield). But it does seem it should be more important by the teams participating only because of the history. Televising more games would help as does the larger MLS rosters and reserve teams of next season.

As was mentioned earlier there is the sharp dividing line with MLS and the lower division teams. The USOC is an audition for the players but not coming attractions for a team which could gain promotion. Maybe if the lower division soccer teams were tied to the MLS clubs in a manner comparable to baseball's MLB teams and their minor league teams. That could provide that "big brother vs. little brother" dynamic which would make the MLS teams hungrier for victory. No one wants to lose to their little brother. But as it is, for MLS teams this is the NIT to the league's NCAAs.

9. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The FA Cup, arguably the very pinnacle of the "Cup" tourneys held worldwide, while prestigious, is NOT the equal of winning the Premiership. The original premise is flawed.

Secondly, as to the playoffs, you are simply not going to convince MLS ownership to jettison their most lucrative playoff matches. Until the day that MLS is absolutely awash with cash, two items that are simply totally off the table are promotion/relegation (number one) and the MLS Cup playoffs (number two).

And even then I can't see ownership ever going for it, but at that point at the very least the fan base could get behind them. For the foreseeable future, either move is blatantly stupid.

HOWEVER, I have no problem with the fans considering the Supporter's Shield to be equal to or more prestigious than the MLS Cup, ie considering the "real" league champion to be the Supporter's Shield holder instead of the MLS Cup holder. And apart from the implications of which better crowns the "best" team, the Supporter's Shield is a grassroots trophy. It has a short history, but one which fans, especially those who have been there from the beginning, should feel pride in. The fans themselves instituted it, and subsequently MLS/USSF recognized it, such that it's now worth a CONCACAF berth.

Both are greater prizes than the Open Cup.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For USL and NASL yes, it should be their most important trophy, for MLS not really, untill D-2 and D-3 teams can consistantly compeate and win some US Open cup trophys, the US Open cup will not be that important sadly.

11. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yes You are nuts Because the US Open Cup is not a League Championship, its just a tournement.

12. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    again this isnt europe, winning the US open cup doesnt prove much of anything,, MLS barely gets its MLS Cup and facetime on the media.

13. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    and the FA Cup is just a tournament

the copa del rey just a tournament

seeing a pattern yet?

14. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    again if you was paying attention this is Not europe, MLS and the US Soccer doesnt need to copy cat europe, plus who cares about what europ is doing anyway.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most Latin American countries also do not have cup championships other than playoffs.

Brazil is the only country that has multiple championships at the same time. The state and the Brazilerato (how ever it is called)

The US Open cup has a lot of History, I am sad that people do not give it much importance, but you can not force it upon people.

16. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the problem with the US open cup its not the the league Championship Game. you arent the League Champion for winning the open cup, if at best its a consulation trophy. In several ways the format it has been follwing doesnt benefit MLS, so why should MLS make it important??? Unless you make the Open cup align with the MLS calender and make it a post season playoff along with the MLS playoffs, it can real have the true american sports feel, Maybe the US open cup can be preseason thing or better yet if MLS can figure out a way the format it where u have a open close calendar (without the double champions ofcourse where the field can be based on the first half of the MLS season where teams can be fielded into the US OC so they play out and the final can be played at mid season, then after mid season you playout the remaining games to see who makes the playoffs and go for the championship.

17. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Brazil is like soccer 12 months a year!! They have the State Leagues, then when that is over the Nationwide League (Brasileirao) and let's not forget the Copa Brazil tournament!!!
    A subscription to GolTV more than pays for itself in my opinion, just from the Brazil coverage alone!!

18. bartleby

bartleby Red Card

Nov 22, 2010
    it took awhile for the NCAA tournament to catch on as well. It's also not a league championship. It's become a "national" championship. One thing that makes the NCAA tournament so appealing is the Cinderella factor. I'm not a basketball fan at all. I don't watch any of the college basketball regular season or the NBA, but i'm glued to the TV every March. March Madness is just a very appealing tournament.The NCAA tournament has been marketed very well over the years and its been marketed to casual fans.

19. Racomando

Racomando Member

Celtic and Rangers
    Jun 27, 2011
    The World
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    Tonga
    FA Cup isn't a league championship game. Seems pretty important to me.

20. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are Comparing college to pro sports not the same.

21. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the US open cup needs to adapt to a More North american sports format... plus its not the most important trophy , the MLS Cup is and its the league Championship. it shows on the star on top of the logo on the JERSEYS of the PLAYERS on the FIELD, when playing SOCCER! the Open cup either should be a part of the post season somehow before the MLS playoffs or a preseason tournement. Maybe a First half trophy the top 8 get a by into the quater finals.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS doesn't run the Open Cup, they can't decide how the tournament is formatted and run.

23. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe MLS should abandon it.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather they say involved in the only US competition with some long history.

25. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it doesnt fit in the sports structure, its practically a watse of time. the USOC needs to get rid of the european style of format.