Post-match: US Open Cup Final DC v Charleston

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nick, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    Since so many people are coming up would someone mind bringing me 4 cases of Blenheim's Hot?

2. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like even The Regiment will be putting the Metro-Bulls "supporters" to shame.

Good for them.

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Good to know they're bringing double digits.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are in Section 227.

they had us in 336 and 337 (I think) but a little pressure and we got closer to the field.

We'll be tailgating in Lot 3 and dont expect any trouble from our group, other than a few good natured barbs and verbal jabs.

to be fair to other visiting supporters, this is arguably our biggest match in our clubs history (est. 1993), include our two League championship. If it was on a weekend Im sure we could have close to 500-1000. so many of the "hardcore regulars" can't make it up for varous work related reason not to mention even teh most dedicated families have a hard time taking the kids out of school for "quick" trip to DC

the local newstations are already doing some pre match highlights and One channel is going to be there when we load up the buses tomorrow morning.

I've been contacted by a couple radio shows about doing a brief chat on our way up to DC.
    and I they are planning several articles in tomorrow and Wed newspapers!!!

The Battery have become a local passion for locals and for people that have been transplanted here from other place in the world (hispanics, Germans, Brits, Brazilins) Im sure they still love there teams from home, but they are becoming equally in love with the Battery, which I think is something other teams have trouble with.

Mikey

Mikey

5. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More like triple digits. Then again, I don't think the RBs have that many supporters to begin with. :D

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I should've said "at least" in there. My post was solely a jab at Red Bulls "fans", not Charleston supporters who are a class act that I have a ton of respect for.

7. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    to be fair, it was a Saturday and they did bring a lot of banners, at least 2 per person. My advice would be cardboard cutouts next time :)

[​IMG]

8. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't stand to read these post anymore....can't make it in person...flock it....and I guess I should have also purchased the Tear Shield for my keyboard cause it's getting really wet...hope it doesn't short ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

9. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And they had smoke bombs too. Oooooh. Ahhhh. :rolleyes:

10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remember that Charleston is always either the winner or the runnerup in the "Friendliest City in America" contest (sometimes Savannah sneaks in), so however many Battery supporters show up, they will have perfect manners and remain perfect gentlemen and ladies even while their team is being drubbed mercilessly by DC United.

And BTW, does anyone propose to actually discuss the match in advance, as in who starts, who plays, probable result, etc.? Remember, Emilio will be a game time decision; Peralta is still out; Kirk is out; Fred wants to play but probably shouldn't; Doe looked neither fit nor good his last outing; and Gallardo may not be ready for 90-120 minutes.

11. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw....bless your heart for your understanding of Southern culture. :D

12. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    According to Goff, Luci looks good to go and Fred will be available. So, who sits if Gallardo starts? Although he may not be able to go 90. No Peralta so do we stay with the 352 with Simms and Vide in front of McT? If Gallardo starts then either Tino, Vide, Fred or Guerrero will have to be super sub. Or will we start the same lineup as last game and bring on Gallardo as super sub?

13. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Gallardo might still be better off in the sub role. You have to play the game to win in regulation, but be prepared to play extra time. I'd like to see Gallardo at about 60', that way Jaime can play the 90' and if goes longer Gallardo is there to take over the forward slot. I think not starting Vide or Guerrero for Gallardo would be a mistake. The Battery's best chance is to out hustle United early get on the sheet early, Vide and Guerrero provide the grit and hustle to match.

14. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I think Gallardo comes on as a sub to lift our game if it isn't in hand. If he isn't needed, he rests another day, or comes in just to get some minutes. I think we bring in a more defense-oriented approach, keeping the ball in front of us and taking our chances as we find them. I'll be surprised to see us going forward all the time. I think there is zero chance that we overlook Charleston.

15. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why thank you, ma'am. May I see you to a seat on the verandah and offer you some iced tea?

16. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [Cleveland mode]
    I wish we could have gotten that much coverage when we hosted and won the USL 2 Championship last month. It was pathetic. I don't believe it was covered by any of the local TV news channels, and The Plain Dealer, the largest local paper, didn't even mention it AT ALL.

Although, we're starting to get the support of some transplants. Most of them European at this point, with a large contingent of English and Scottish. I wish we could get more media attention because I think a lot of people just don't know about us.
    [/Cleveland mode]

17. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fwiw, you are one of the only USL2 (or even USL1) sides with TV coverage. I saw your team play more often than any of my "local" USL teams because you guys were on 2 or 3 times I saw on the regional sports stations.
    It won't make me like anything from Cleveland, but y'all are getting nationwide exposure of sorts :)

19. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, I didn't realize that anyone outside the area had access to SportsTimeOhio, or that they would want to watch it if they did. I hope our TV announcer didn't annoy you too much. I can't stand the guy. Well, I can't stand his announcing, he's a nice guy and was on the field for us in 2007. And I HATE the during game interviews they do. Ah well, beggers can't be choosers I suppose.

20. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this line-up for tomorrow:

-----------------------Crayton------------------------
    Namoff----------------McTavish---------------Martinez
    -------------Vide----------------Simms----------------
    Fred-------------------------------------------Guerrero
    ----------------------Quaranta------------------------
    ------------Moreno---------------Emilio----------------

If United is ahead around the 60 minute mark, take out Jaime and bring in Burch and move to a 4-man backline.

If United is losing, then take out Fred, move Tino wide, and bring in Gallardo

If Vide or Simms is tired at that time, bring in Benny to relieve them.

Wow, when United has everybody back from injury, they are around 16-17 players deep at least.

21. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    i just pulled the coffee pot out and will clean it up so that Mikey and the lads can go ahead get ready to fill 'er up :)

22. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zach told me today, that Battery supporters were closing in on 300 tickets, while DC were around 6000. Even though, we will be out numbered 20-1, we should still be heard.

23. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Give 'em an hour trying to drive through DC-area rush hour traffic and they'll just be as brittle, emotionally scarred, and on edge as the rest of us.

24. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    I wouldn't mind seeing that lineup, but something tells me Soehn sticks with the 4-4-2 for this one. Your lineup above, but add Burch, drop Fred, and move 'Tino out wide, a la the US "empty bucket". Switch to the 3-5-2 when Gallardo comes on if/when it's in doubt in the second half.

25. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp :)