US Mexico - The fans

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by FirstStar, Jun 7, 2021.

1. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    There's no doubt that Mexico's fans need to take responsibility for their actions. It's also clear that this is not just a US/Mexico issue; the chant happens at most, if not all, El Tri games, whoever the opponent may be. Hopefully there will be enough peer pressure generated within the fan base after these actions by FIFA that this problem dies out.

As far as the Mexican-American societal issues, well that's complicated and I don't think this is the forum to get into it any further. Suffice it to say that there are lots of things that can be done to improve the situation with American citizens of Latino (not just Mexican) descent. I think that it is important for Latino-American citizens feel that this is their country too, not just the gringo land that they happen to live in.

2. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't watch the MEX/GUA game. Did our neighbors keep it down since their heroes were winning?

3. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That crowd was too shocked to throw much of anything on the field.

EXALIFTIN, Marko72, CTS26 and 4 others repped this.
  4. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW every Mexico fan I encountered both at the stadium and on The Strip has been very friendly.

There were a few people doing the chant outside before the game, but I didn't hear it once inside (though I guess someone at CONCACAF did to trigger a PA announcement)

EXALIFTIN, Eleven Bravo, CTS26 and 6 others repped this.
  5. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Same here. I got quite a few fist bumps and GG’s from Mexico fans after the game. Nobody in my section took part in the chants although eye rolling and sarcastic tones ensued when the Concacaf protocols flashed on the screens.
    At this point I say don’t bother with trying to stop the chants unless the mexican team receives some meaningful punishment.

EXALIFTIN, CTS26, ChrisSSBB and 2 others repped this.
  6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason the comments on the Mexican forum about this being our XYZ team have me laughing out loud.

CTS26 and Bajoro repped this.
  7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Please do share. I’m banned.

8. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s really nothing more to share than that. While we wonder if this was a B or C team, some of their posters referred to our team as XYZ.

9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico fans are the most thin-skinned fans I’ve ever seen. There’s a reason “Mexcuses” is such a common term.

They are trying to claim that their Gold Cup team wasn’t an A team despite their own head coach saying it was.

Eleven Bravo and Marko72 repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep_Le_Rouge, EXALIFTIN and majspike repped this.
  11. RSSR

RSSR New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    What are people's projections here in predicting which country Ricardo Pepi chooses to represent here on out?

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    You can find a lot more of that discussion in this thread:

Dual nationals who could suit up for the US

13. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pepi has chosen the USA.

14. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes that'll learn them. Ironic thing is we want Mexico to beat Costa Rica and Panama so this doesn't necessarily help us from a USMNT perspective.

Alvaro Cruz Santibáñez (@AlvaroCruzS) Tweeted:
    FIFA VETA FANS DEL TRI

- Dos juegos sin gente. 30 de enero vs Costa Rica y 2 de febrero vs Panamá.

- 100,000 francos suizos de multa a @miseleccionmx

Esto por el grito en los juegos ante Canadá y Honduras.

15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s the conventional wisdom. But if we beat Mexico and beat Jamaica, we may vault past Mexico in the standings, in which case I may start believing we can win the group.

16. ihateyousomuch

Sunderland
    United States
    Oct 22, 2021
    If FIFA wants to actually make the p*** cheers stop they will have to deduct points.

17. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I wish FIFA was as concerned about projectiles being thrown at our players as the chant.

I am not downplaying them banning the chant, but the safety issue seems much more important.

GreedyG, Master O, Marko72 and 3 others repped this.
  18. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually I believe that there needs to be stiff police enforcement of the laws even at the matches something like throwing projectiles should be punished to the limit of the law. Throwing anything at players is aggravated assault and, if the object is at all hard, it would become assault with a deadly weapon. FIFA is very limited as ttttto what the can do but law enforcement is much less so.

Local law enforcement should have the use of at least two cameras that are trained on the dangerous fans. And, should an incident happen the "fans" in that section should not be allowed to leave until they are proven to have not been the thrower.

One more thing every single person that is sitting in the area of the thrower is, unless they come forward to help find the throwers, is guilty of accessory after the fact and should be charged as such. These people, the throwers and those the help the throwers avoid prosecution, will never change their behavior just because their team gets slapped on the wrist and a slap on the wrist is all that FIFA is able to administer.

FIFA is not a criminal enforcement unit so they really cannot do much.

Some time in jail and banning from all sports stadiums is really in the hands of the law. For punishments to matter the perpetrators must be punished and punished severely.

Master O repped this.
  19. davidjd

davidjd Member+

Jun 30, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree just arresting the person/people with the use of a few cameras, an iPad, and security walking down during the game to get the offenders. That's not difficult at all. Holding everyone else in the area is over the top though. I've been at games where something happens 5 seats away from me and have no clue who did what. Rely on the cameras.

I've heard of people being banned from games/stadiums. Is that really something that can be and is enforced? Seems too easy to have your friend buy the ticket. I highly doubt there is security like in Vegas matching faces.

20. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I would think many of the richer stadiums already have simple facial recognition abilities. It is not that new and not that expensive and not that hard. I have seen such in several different places. They do not need to access any private databases except the one they create with the fool's faces.

The "hold" was meant to be a case of holding until they get cleared,pretty much like the police do with any crime, and if there is any doubt then they should have to produce valid contact info. In fact I would be in favor of iding and photographing everyone that enters the stadium but that might be too much. However by attending matches people mostly give up most of the rights of privacy until thy leave. I think it even says that on most tickets.
    I just want the people that might have witnessed or even committed the crimes to be detained long enough to be sure they can be found again. If handled well the total time an innocent person would be held is probably less that 20 minutes and it seems that .

If anything gets done it will be up to the people running the stadiums and the people running the matches to make it happen.

I very much doubt that US soccer is really at all interested in stopping violence in the stands. I believe it will become common for us to hear the old joke told slightly differently:
    "I went to a competitive beer toss the other day and a soccer match broke out."
    That kind of thing will boost sales and sales(revenue) are what US Soccer and FIFA care about above all else.

21. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #196 shooter6065, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    No drinks thrown at players last night. Do you all think it was because the stands were not full of belligerent, drunk Mexican soccer fans?

22. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They all take themselves so seriously on th Mexican Forum. I asked why the Mexican Federation didn't interview Berhalter before they hired Tata and the moderator deleted my post.

That fan base is largely composed of thin skinned twats.

Three and Three and HomietheClown repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup. Their fans (in general) and moderators do not understand basic logic.

Three and Three repped this.
  24. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    They're fun, but it's obvious that most don't emphasize the importance of give-and-take and objectivity. I suppose that that's what I like about them, though. If the game is about passion, why waste time with reason?

25. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Update: they gave me a Yellow Card too! For that little joke!

Marko72 and gogorath repped this.