US Mexico - The fans

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by FirstStar, Jun 7, 2021.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It would be easier, and cheaper, to simply not sell and block off all seats within throwing distance of the field and arrest anyone entering that area.

Of course that does not address the problems of misbehavior in the stands among the fans but we need to first address the safety of the players and match officials.

Also, to address the problems others pointed out about barriers around the field: Those "barriers" could actually be netting like is used behind the goals and above the glass at hockey matches. That kind of barrier can easily be designed so that, in the event of a crowd surge, it can be penetrated or avoided.
    But I do have to question how Hockey can have a solid barrier to fans, the glass and walls, and not have the problem of fans crushing each other.

To me the loss of money caused by not selling seats close to the field is more than offset by the enhanced player and official safety of not having haters in range of the field.

Also the very idea of arresting someone for committing a hate crime like throwing things at players and then having that same person back on the streets the next day is offensive. Hate crimes like we have seen should not be bailable until at least three days after arrest. I am also unconvinced that banning people has any effect on behavior at all and I do not see how it can be enforced if the person banned really wants to be in the stands. It is VERY easy to change your appearance so as to avoid any form of facial recognition in existence and finger printing everyone is pretty much impossible.

3. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hockey fans aren't as violent and are generally better behaved?

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I do not know the "why" but I do know I have rarely seen fan misbehavior at hockey matches. That is except at the youth level when there are a lot of parents, with the next Wayne Gretzky in tow, present. (The same kind of thing that parents of the next Mia Hamm cause in soccer.)
    "The only thing wrong with youth sports in this country is the adults."

Back on topic: (Sort of) Maybe we could station snipers in the upper corners of the stands with instructions to shoot anyone throwing anything or invading the pitch. Those snipers would go for the good wound but... :p

Having thought about the problem even more I think that the best "solution" would be to simply block off and not sell any seats in throwing range of the field and arrest anyone entering those "forbidden" areas. There can be nothing thrown at players when fans are kept totally away from the field.

Chastaen repped this.
  5. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that punishment has to be enforced in order to change behavior, but I dont think it is fair for mexican players to be punished based on whatever their fans do.

I think there has to be law enforcement actions involved in terms of identifying people in the stands who cross the line and get them that way.

6. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with you, youth hockey has some horrible moments. I think that is a common issue in youth sports. Hockey being a more aggressive sport would lead to aggressive fans, one would think. But most interactions seem to be yelling and taunts in between beers.

7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    First two home qualifiers behind closed doors. Not for throwing shit…but for the chants.

I am kind of surprised that FIFA is sanction Mexico for the behavior of fans that attend games in the US. I guess that’s one of the advantages of FIFA being able to do whatever the ******** they want.

CTS26, 7211, bostonsoccermdl and 2 others repped this.
  8. NGYAGRAMPUS

NGYAGRAMPUS Red Card

Detroit City FC
    United States
    Jun 16, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm it's a start but I'd also spare a thought for the workers who had to clean up that mess after the game.

9. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the ******** chant has routinely been done in Mexico for decades, so it's not like there isn't a track record of bad behavior.

10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article mentions something even more serious:

As Americans, we should encourage the Mexicans to keep chanting it. :devilish:

HomietheClown and BostonRed repped this.
  11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    As human beings we shouldn’t encourage homophobic chants from anyone…for any reason

The Clientele, chad, bungadiri and 2 others repped this.
  12. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official statement, at least as read on ESPN, mentions the chants back in March during Olympic Qualifying, which was in Mexico, but we all know it was what happened in Nations League that broke the camel's back.

13. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was also mentioned FIFA is looking at incidents during the friendly with Iceland...which was before the Nations League final...so, don't touch that dial.

Personally, I'd make Mexico play those two matches in Monterrey and remove the altitude advantage.

WheezingUSASupport and Elninho repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They’re the only nation we’ve beaten in a knockout game since 1930, so I disagree.

FirstStar repped this.
  15. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree with the law enforcement/ security angle, but we all know in the Azteca they aren’t going to do a damn thing… probably not able to do anything unless they designate 1/2 the attendance to security.

the only way to hit them where it hurts is to reign in the shitbags in this manner, and hopefully the fans will start policing their own..

I think it’s a great and surprising move by FIFA, hopefully it extends beyond the chant and addresses the more serious issue of objects being thrown..

this has been going on for waaaay to long..

16. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Letting Mexico self-destruct by the actions of their stupid fans is fine by me.

CTS26, sakibomb523, RossD and 4 others repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always interesting to see the number of identifiable stewards at UEFA matches (which aren't usually that badly behaved). US-based matches never have anywhere near the number of obvious security folks.

18. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These punishments are actually for Mexico fan behavior in Olympic qualifiers.

19. USAsoccer4life

USAsoccer4life New Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Natomas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freaking Savages

NGYAGRAMPUS repped this.
  20. NGYAGRAMPUS

NGYAGRAMPUS Red Card

Detroit City FC
    United States
    Jun 16, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

BostonRed repped this.
  21. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well said sir as I revisit this thread after Mexico's unlucky draw against TnT. Game was stopped twice for the chant and so far FIFA has only investigated up to the Olympic Qualifiers. They have plenty of new material over the last few Mexico games to unpack.

In order for this to stop I am afraid Mexico might have to be withdrawn from international competition for some time. At the minimum Mexico's qualifiers will be played behind closed doors.

22. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming they don't try to have the WNT or the U20s or the U11s try to play matches instead.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  23. shooter6065

shooter6065 Member

Nov 16, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I doubt FIFA will let that kind of sleight of hand go but you never know with those crooks.

24. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FIFA, in spite of words to the contrary, is not interested in fairness or equality or safety or any of the buzzwords that are spouted by their various minions. Their ONLY interest is making as much money as possible from football. I sometimes wonder if world football would be better off without FIFA or if their powers were drastically reduced. The upholstered parasites under the FIFA umbrella, and most of the national football associations, virtually never do anything they are not forced to. They do not really care about the players or the teams or the fans or anything that does not add money to their bank accounts.

Master O repped this.
  25. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, when Mexico has problems, it's easier to just blame the "Evil Gringos / Yankees / Imperialistas" for them. It's like people who "Blame the Jews" for their own failures.