US-Mexico, the defense

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jul 7, 2019.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked how they played. Long is good. Ream defended well but offers nothing in the attack, and tactically that caught up to us second half.

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long cannot play out of the back. Huge issue when our CB's are bypassing Bradley/McKennie, who are marked out of the game.

nbarbour and Winoman repped this.
  3. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I thought all 4 were generally pretty good. Distribution out of the back is a problem, which is why I've said the whole time that Brooks is an automatic starter when healthy, despite what others have said about this crew doing well defensively this tournament. But Miazga and Long battled like crazy and won lots of duels.

Ream is a good enough placeholder at LB until someone else steps up, and Cannon is still raw, but seems to have plenty of potential. He's moved up Lima on the depth chart for me.

Winoman repped this.
  4. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    Probably the only bright spot for both halves. Hard to blame the goal on them since the CM left the space exposed for the goal. Ream played well. Cannon was good and a threat offensively.

Winoman repped this.
  5. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good on defense. Many forward players did yeoman's work in helping with the defense.
    The bad on defense. Our number 6 opened wide the gates of hell.

Winoman repped this.
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long is a beast. Both CB's were good. They put out a lot of fires set by the cm's and to a lesser extent Ream. They executed a game plan to draw in the pressure and play over the top for the most part. Sergio Ramos with the ball at their feet they are not, but seldom is our pairing going to be the reason for losing so long as we play anybody in our top 8 or so.

Cannon may be a solution at rb. He played some smart 1 touch crosses to pose danger, evaded and passed pretty smoothly, and wasn't beaten too badly by dangerous wings. Now we just need to find a lb because Ream doesn't have the quicks for the position and has a couple mental lapses per game. Why are a lot of managers so against playing their #2 rb at lb? So we have to go down to our 15th best fullback just to utilize a primary left-footer? Lima was under-used at the end.

7. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thing we have to realize is that Ream is being played as a LB in attack.

In defense, it should go Cannon-Miazga-Long-Ream-Arriola. That left side really hinges on the wing back.

I keep seeing people refer to Long and Miazga as CB, but fail to realize that Ream is essentially a third CB.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No complaints out of the defense. They played their hearts out.

9. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Ream was overrun in the 2nd half.

Long isn't good with the ball at his feet and if that's what Berhalter wants from defenders then I don't see how he can continue to play him.

10. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    steffen, cannon, miazga and long were ok. god, even ream was ok enough. wasnt their fault.

only thing ill say is in our horseshit "possession" play i really really wish wed stop playing to steffen. pass back all you want (sometimes all the way from the attack, MIKEY) but when steffens the last thing behind you just play that shit out for a throw.

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then play a better cb than Ream if that's how you look at it. The U.S. has about 15 of them. It's the strongest position we have.

And dropping Arriola to help so diligently leaves the U.S. short in #'s in cm and that right side somewhat of a wasteland between the winger and lone fw. Maybe you're not compelled to do that if it's somebody fleeter of foot, like a Long, M. Robinson, EPB, etc.

Better yet change the scheme so you're stronger up the middle to win balls against better teams than playing Pulisic there and a Bradley/Trapp at the 6 because they help you play out. The U.S. didn't even try to do that much tonight so what was the point of that scheme. Bring a destroyer option or two. I bet he's still playing Adams at rb in this game w/ Bradley at the 6 if Tyler didn't withdraw.

12. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    The game was calling for a destroyer and an LB who can push up offensively like Cannon was on the right. Berhalter handicaps himself with his roster selection and refusal to move onto a different plan when his "system" isn't working.

Pegasus repped this.
  13. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the scheme worked well defensively in the first half... For what it’s worth. Wouldn’t be my choice of a tactical play whatsoever.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who does the US have at LB? Maybe I’m forgetting someone, or we have very different views of Lima as an LB, but it can’t think of anyone.

The cupboard is bare. Gloster can’t mature soon enough.

15. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    It worked because Cannon forced Pizzaro to defend and ran him ragged. The moment they switched, Pizzaro had free reign to do whatever he wanted against Ream because he didn't have to worry about defending.

Winoman repped this.
  16. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Once we were down? I don't see the point of having the same player on the team twice with Ream and Lovitz. They both offer nothing going forward. At least someone like Robinson would've acted as a release like Cannon did on the right and forced Pizzaro to defend. Especially once we got down a goal.

17. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Pizzaro moved to the space unoccupied by Arriola when we were transitioning. He needed to be picked up by Bradley or Ream in our left channel. Either one moving to cover opened up gaps.

18. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Worst part of defense was:
    1) no success in distribution
    2) Second half game plan for Mexico included "attack Ream" prominently
    3) defensive mids were mostly useless

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannon overtook Lima as the next right back option,and frankly should have Yedlin looking over his shoulder. Why, oh why.......can we not get Lima a trot out at left back instead of this Lovitz character.

noscrusir repped this.
  20. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game was calling for quicker passing, but most of all, for every midfielder and attacker to anticipate the passing options faster and to move into space to receive the ball and make another pass effectively. Didn't happen. Maybe can't happen with this mix of players. Bradley was under enormous pressure in the second half and nobody stepped in to share the load. Got to play quicker against that press.

21. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    We're solid if unspectacular in both depth and quality at center back, one place I don't worry much about nd both Long and Mizaga did well. Cannon on the right is good and will only get better and we have a couple other options there. Left back is a joke right now and I'm not entirely sure we have anyone much better than Ream playing anywhere about now.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lima......Nick Lima is better than Tim Ream. In practically all facets of the game. I just dont understand. We have to give it a look. Line up Lima at left back, any of Long, Brooks, Miazga........hell Opara and Parker.....whoever in the middle, and Cannon out right, and we are set on defense.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    My guess is we‘ll soon see Adams as our new left back....

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  24. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    If Berhalter wants to jerk someone all over the field, do it to McKennie. At least he's already used to it from his club.

Anyway, I forgot to mention Lovitz, our late game ace in the hole and my new favorite player. We'd have scored for sure if he'd have gotten on a few minutes sooner.

Winoman repped this.
  25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's the ticket!

Winoman and nobody repped this.