US-Mexico not in Azteca

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SoulflyTribeFC, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Neutral Fan

Neutral Fan New Member

Dec 27, 2000
    gamesmanship

The gamesmanship tricks that the Mexican federation uses hurts Mexico in the long run. The only way Mexico will win a World Cup is if it is played at Azteca.

Aaron

2. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    There is no way Mexico gives up the money that they would make by playing the game in Azteca. It's not like the move would give them that significant an advantage, and even if it did, this game will not determine who advances from the Hex. If they move the game it's just throwing money away.

I also doubt the US would schedule a 2-3 week training session at high altitude for this game. Even with the training, winning these games would be difficult and unlikely to determine advancement.

3. JoeDub83

JoeDub83 New Member

Oct 20, 2001
    MISSOULA,MT 420
    I believe every game in the HEX will determine who advances.It's based on points right? Mexico is our biggest rival and this game can determine who advances......you cant under-estimate the importance of this game.

4. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    Sure you can under-estimate the importance of this game. Watch:

While there is a slim chance that this game has some impact on the outcome of the Hex, I believe it is far more likely that both the US and Mexico advance regardless who wins in Mexico.

See: game importance underestimated.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually you can.

The two USA/Mexico games will probably have less impact on the hex as pretty much any other matchup.

Assuming the USA and Mexico are two top dogs in CONCACAF, they're just dividing 4-6 points that the other four countries - who are fighting for the remaining 1 1/2 spots - can't have.

6. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    You missed the point.

I know many like to think that Columbus was a HUGE factor, and that Most US fans want to play Mexico in Columbus in Feb.

Anybody who has spent the winter months in the central region of Mexico where the altitude is high can tell you that it gets real cold.

If you watched the game, the Mexican players were not affected by it. Sure, no one likes to play in those conditions, but the game was won capitalizing on Mexico's mistakes, not because of physiological problems. Mexico was also in its worst crisis. The game they lost in San Pedro Sula, was a lot worst with respect to actual performance than the game played in Columbus.

7. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I hope they play it in Azteca because I plan on going. My Mexican friend is telling me that "for my safety" I'd want the game in Mexico City. Even in Mexico City, he recommended that I wear a Mexico jersey underneath the US jersey and carry around a Mexican wrestling mask so I can live if we win. :D

8. Levante

Levante Member+

Jul 28, 2001
    I doubt Mexico move the game out of Azteca.

9. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My girlfriend and I went with a group last time, made up mostly of Soccer Vacations and DC's Screaming Eagles. Security was pre-arranged with help from the Embassy.

We got in and out without injuries that I'm aware of, although we had a lot of police in riot gear at the end. They needed to make a tunnel out of their plexiglass shields -- between our section and the exit -- to protect us from everything being thrown. I can only imagine if we had won.

Part of me thinks being with a group attracted more trouble than we would have gotten alone, but if we'd gone alone, I would not have felt comfortable wearing my US jersey, and waving an American flag. Being in that group allowed us all to show our colors without too much danger -- plus I bought free beer with all the coins they threw at us. :)

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Re: gamesmanship

Actually, since the World Cup isn't a single game event, the visiting teams get used to the altitude by arriving early and practicing for the conditions beforehand. That's why out of two WCs held in Mexico, the furthest they advanced was the quarters.

As to gamesmanship ... Arena's roster tricks are even less explainable.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    So, let's say, at Azteca they get 100,000 people at $5 per ticket, $500,000 gross.

At the LA Coloseum, they could get 50,000 fans at $70 per ticket, a $3.5M gross.

If they want the money, there's one place the Mex'd want to be...

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If I recall, lower level endzone tickets were US$13 at Azteca. I'll have to find my ticket to be sure, though.

13. Jonez

Jonez New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Boston
    1) I think most of the tickets at Azteca are a little more that $5 a ticket, while the average ticket price in LA is probably less than $70.

2) It's not just the ticket price difference, but also the concessions, local retailers, bars, restaurants, hotels. I think they want the money to come to Mexico, not to the US.

3) There is no way the Mexican fans would allow the Mexican team to play their home game against the US in the US. There would be riots.

14. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I've been to Toluca. It's nothing special. It's about an hours drive from Mexico City, on a modern 4 lane highway that climbs straight up into the mountains. Despite the higher elevation I can't believe that the Mexicans would not play in Azteca. It's at one of the highest points in the city. Between its elevation, size and the smog it's hard to imagine a better home field advantage than that. But I guess it shows how much we're in their heads.

As for potential training locales, unless you have a full two weeks, high elevation training doesn't really help. It's best to just get in and get out as quickly as possible. But if I had to suggest a training site I'd say Albuquerque. The upper part of the city is at 6,500 feet, and unlike Flagstaff, Vail or Big Bear it's in a high desert that more closely approximates central Mexico. But hey, what do I know.

15. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you or RF have a bunch of pics online from that match? If so, are they still up?

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Mike Lastort shot the game for me. We had a number of his game photos, and some of my photos of Mexico City up. The only pre-2003 shots online are our 2002 World Cup collection.

17. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

Just a note if any US fans go to the game don't sit in the corner right accross from this picture, that is where the Perra Brava usually sits, one of the most intimidating barras in Mexico.

Also I would like to see the game played in the Azteca, I've heard US player interviews that the 115,000 fans leave them in completely intimidated and they are so loud the can't hear the person 2ft in front of them. Also no excuses on venue

18. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    I thought FIFA regulations stipulate that both teams must be in the city of the game within 24 or 48 hours prior to kickoff? Forgive I may be wrong.

19. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I'm not too sure about the exact timeframe for when a visitor needs to be at the stadium.

But I do recollect brazil flying into la paz several hours prior to a wcq match, and I thought brazil was at sea level in guayaquil before hopping a flight to quito...

as to our mexican friends thinking the usa is intimidated by azteca...

could be, because the usa is intimidated by the quality of the mexican players...

just joking here somewhat...azteca is just like the mexicans playing in cold weather at columbus...

if you wanna believe either is affected by it...I have a bridge to sell you..

20. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    The best part of this is that it shows how much we're in their heads. To even contemplate leaving Azteca is insanity.

21. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    I dug up the info for the Mexico-Honduras game in late 2001 ... the medium category tickets are, surprisingly enough, US$13.
    http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cach...teca+selección&hl=en&start=5&client=firefox-a

---
    El precio aumentó en un 20 por ciento, los de hasta arriba tienen un costo de 60 pesos (6.5 dólares), los de enmedio 120 pesos (13 dólares) y los de abajo 300 pesos (32 dólares).

Cuesta mucho dinero ir a ver al estadio Azteca a la selección de México?

Precio de boleto más caro: 32 dólares
    Precio de estacionamiento: 2 dólares
    Precio de cerveza o refresco en el estadio Azteca: 3 dólares
    Precio de una torta en el estadio: 3 dólares
    Precio de unos cacahuates en el estadio: 1 dólar
    Precio de la camiseta original de la selección afuera del estadio: 40 dólares
    Precio de la camiseta copia fuera del estadio: 10 dólares