US-Mexico not in Azteca

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SoulflyTribeFC, Nov 22, 2004.

1. SoulflyTribeFC

SoulflyTribeFC New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Seems Mexico wants to play the US in Toluca, not Mexico City.

http://www.ovaciones.com/futnac/tolucaseria.html

Basically, the federation president says that since the US tried to freeze Mexico out last time, Mexico will counter with playing in as high altitude as possible.

BUT this story is a little inconsistent. It says Mexico will play either Spain or England in Guadalajara on Feb. 9 but that's the same day the hex kicks off. And it also says the game will be the hexagonal finale when dates have not yet been determined.

2. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Interesting. How's the air quality in Toulca?

3. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting. I thought Mexico City was the highest city, in terms of elevation, in Mexico? I certainly don't blame them for doing whatever necessary to "maximize" their home advantage. I HOPE the USSF does the same thing when we host the ***holes!!

So they want to play some 2,000 feet above sea level, huh?? How about instead of Columbus, we play them in Alaska (if winter) or Montana (if summer or fall)??

4. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    According to a quick google search...

Toluca is between 8450 and 8900 feet above sea level, depending on who you believe.

Mexico City is between 7200-7400 feet, again depending on the source.

By contrast, Denver is 5280 feet above sea level.

5. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I smell training camp in Denver. Or maybe up in Calgary if the Canucks don't mind. The Altitude in those two paticular cities are very rough if you don't live there.

Either the smog in Mexico will clog the lungs or the altitude will try to force the boys to gasp for air. They are still going to lose to the Stars and stripes.

6. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the same thing somewhere else.

Hopefully we can start the hex in Columbus, against Mexico. Beating the toughest team in game 1 makes the entire hex more enjoyable. :)

7. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    I don't really see too much of an advantage for them. We're probably the fittest side in the region. A week training camp in Denver prior to, and that particular "advantage" is pretty much neutralized. I don't know why they want to leave Azteca, it's a goddamned forttress.

8. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Toluca's stadium seats about 80,000 or so less than the Azteca.

About 30,000 fit into La Bombonera/Nemesio Diez?

The higher elevation also means that the temperature will be a little lower.

9. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    Yeah, I agree. With the indimidation factor alone, Azteca would more than make up for the 1200 foot difference in elevation. Not that our boys would necessarily be awestruck...

This move could totally backfire in Mexico's face. Yeah, you'd have a higher elevation in Toluca, but you'd give up about 80,000-90,000 fans in the process. Nemesio Diez (Toluca's stadium) seats about 20,000-30,000.

10. SoulflyTribeFC

Mar 24, 2002
    How about Big Bear, California (elev. 6,000+)?

Screw it, how about La Paz, Bolivia (elev. 13,000+)?

11. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I was WAY off on the altitude levels!!

12. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They just don't want to suffer the ignominy of losing to the US at Azteca.

13. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Mexican Arrogance. Let them assume all this.

That would be interesting actually if Bolivia would allow us to train over there. But still overall I would like to see a training camp in an area that has a decent sized altitude.

14. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the fear on their side right there. Simply put, mere gamesmanship and pride on the line.

If that gets to be the case, it means a loss of fans in a packed Azteca. Why move to a smaller venue now, lose those potential customers (fans), while they know that their supporters will outnumber the Americans 10 to 1 regardless.

The more raucous their fans, the bigger the home field advantage for them in theory.

And why play somewhere that is much colder than Mexico City while they couldn't adapt to the frozen cold of Ohio in 2001? They might as well keep playing in Azteca until they have officially lost to the USA since they know they have played well against them in the past, save for the 1997 scoreless draw. Then, they can move the next WCQ qualifier against them elsewhere.

15. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I hope they do it. We're out of season and can train at altitude for an appropriate amount of time. They lose tons of fans, a lot of smog and the intimidation factor. Works for me. .

16. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    From what I'm hearing in another thread, the Toluca stadium is much more intimate than Azteca meaning the fans are right on top of the action leading to more intimidation. Also, these fans are supposedly some of the craziest in Mexico (La Bombanera being one of a few {if not the only} stadiums with riot fences).

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  18. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    Re: Don Nemesio Diez (La Bombonera)

I doubt the FMF would do this (knowing how much they love money). If they do infact play in Nemesio Diez then I would advice USMNT fans not to go. Unless you're going to pay for the seats (the ones in red look at the stadium picture) then you will be crammed with a lot of people and it could be very dangerous (this ain't an all seaster stadium remember). Your best bet is to just stay home and watch it on tv. If you do decide to watch in the non-seat section just don't do something stupid like going there with a usmnt shirt on, or sheer like a maniac when USA scores a goal. Your best bet is to act neutral all game and not draw attention to yourself. You will not forget the experience. Nemesio DIez has fans close to the action and it is known for a great atmosphere. It should be awesome. From what I said above don't think that im saying Mexican stadiums are dangerous. Most stadiums in Mexico are family friendly. Whole families and children attend games, something unique for a latin country, even in some european countries you can't take your family these days. You should feel safe going to an MFL game. Violence in stadiums in the MFL is almost non-existant and I can't recall any incidents happening in Nemesio Diez, but this is USA vs Mexico and it is different than an MFL game. For one game what is a peaceful stadium will turn dangerous.

Should USMNT fans be dissapointed that the CONCACAF classic won't be played at Azteca? yes and no. Nemesio Diez has a great atmosphere with fans at a close proximity to the pitch. Not only that but Ricardo Lavolpe used to coach Toluca.

Makes me wonder if he told the FMF bosses to have the game there because he is afraid of the USMNT and wants to have even more of an advantage?

19. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I think I once read that the field dimensions are bigger in Toluca even than Azteca. True?

20. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's funny. I thought the last time we kicked their ass was in Dallas.

21. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Just another sign Mexico fears the US and the GAM.

22. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    this would be a tough one for our guys. I've lived in quito ecuador where the elevation is roughly 9000 feet. The altitude is much worse than in denver. It would take more than just a week training two-a-days to grow accustomed to the altitude - it took me months before i felt comfortable going for a job and not feeling like i was going to pass out. Granted I am not an ultra-athlete like these guys but adding an extra 2 or 3 thousand feet on the elevation will just tax our lungs that much more. It would also put some pressure on the mexicans. They would not be used to the altitude unless they had their camp there.
    One more thought- an intimate atmosphere like that could be extremely dangerous, those batteries and piss bags could easily make it onto the pitch. It could be really scary for our guys and make them feel unsafe which would knock them off their game plan as well

23. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Denver would work as a training base with maybe some work in Leadville, the highest US town at about 10,000 feet altitude. But personally, I think the whole idea of trying to play CONCACAF teams in cold weather facilities is due for a change. The USMNT is now capable of beating Mexico, Jamaica, Panama and any of the other regional teams in good weather at sea level. Sometimes that advantage stuff takes the home team out of their own game.

24. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Since the Mexicans don't fear or respect us, our results have been lucky, they haven't ever brought their best players when we beat them or we won because of the referee, why would they do this?

We really aren't very good technically. Just kick and run. We play more like rugby and have little tactical ability. None of our players stand out to them.
    Our league here isn't very good.

Just don't get it. Why would they do this :rolleyes:?

25. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Yes. the field dimensions at Nemesio Diez are the biggest in the MFL