US-Mexico in SJ on 9/7?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by grendel, May 27, 2003.

1. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    This was buried in a SJ Mercury News article about Spartan Stadium as a potential WWC venue:

"Officials also are close to completing a deal for a U.S.-Mexico women's exhibition at Spartan Stadium on Sept. 7, Moore added. That could signal U.S. Soccer's strong interest in bringing the World Cup to the Bay Area."

S.J. making run at World Cup

At least the WUSA season will be over by then. I imagine this will be the last friendly before the WWC. It will obviously be a more meaningful match if Mexico qualifies.

2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Didn't Spartan host the last friendly (USWNT v World All-Stars) before the 99 WWC kicked off?

-----

I am still ticked off at my disastrous roadtrip to Spartan this season for the Freedom v CheetoRays match. :mad:

3. grendel

grendel New Member

Nov 15, 2002
    That sounds right. I know there was a US-Brazil match there as a send-off to the Olympics.

Not to pry, but was it a problem with the stadium or some other kind of disaster?

4. SomebodyOrOther

SomebodyOrOther BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 8, 2002
    Over here!
    Thanks for that article! I'd missed it.

Has the game between Mexico and the Asian 3rd place team been rescheduled yet? I know they rescheduled the Asian qualifying tournament, but if they announced a new date for the Mexico game I missed it.

5. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Nope...never really had a problem with Spartan the couple of times I have been there. I really like the place...well except for their "policy" on backpacks.

The disaster part of my roadtrip started the afternoon before the match in Oakland and Alameda. :mad:

I should post this in a more relevant thread but...

Now with the WWC officially being moved here...I wonder if we will see bigger crowds for the SLC and Big Sleazy matches. Last night during the local sportscast..the WWC news was one of the lead stories and they mentioned the SCL match next month.