US-Mex in Columbus ? why ?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DonCorleone, Aug 4, 2005.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    I know a lot of Central Americans who weren't born here, but are huge fans of the US soccer team.

2. Li mu bei

Li mu bei Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Kettering, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

Because it was the most intense HOME game atmosphere we've EVER had.

The border-jumping p^ssies didn't even warm up before the game because it was so f^cking cold.

3. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you, crazy? The place nearly sold out before being opened to public sale!

4. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Why do Bears poop in the woods?

5. CrazyF.C.

CrazyF.C. New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Washington D.C.
    For those who were there, it will be one of defining moments of their life as a soccer fan. As a sports fan. As a human being, damnit!! Honestly, it was the most intense sporting event I've ever been to. The whole crowd stood up the entire game! Name one other time the whole crowd has stood the entire game. Sure it was cold as hell and they were metal bleachers, but damnit these people were into it. The celebration after wolff's goal was carnal. It was like an american soccer fan's mecca. Die hards from across the country came to watch a soccer game in columbus, ohio against their most hated rivals, lost two starting players in the first half and the two subs came on and lit the place up. It is the game that made me a fanatic and I, like anyone who was there, will always remember it. That's why it's in columbus.

P.S. - It was really cold.

6. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Repped.

7. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico did look fairly unhappy being that cold...it had to be 25 degrees that night, very cold in February in Ohio...

it was that cold and the crowd that helped us win that game, because im telling you , Mexico still had lots of the run of play and could have scored if not for some great defense. That said, Mexico never really stood a chance after wolff's goal. I think they just wanted to leave the field.

but without the cold, does the home field advantage prove enough to help us? Not sure, Mexico is way better than they were back in the Luis Hernandez days, so i think it will be a very close game

8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    any home field advantage will be essential against mexico though. Mexico's mental block against the USA has yet to be broken. Keep in mind how amazing they were playing in the WC group stages. They come against the USA and suddenly they play panicky, disorganized soccer. McBride looked almost stunned that he had about a 10 yard radius of open field surrounding him on his first goal. A sport psychologist could make a killing working for El Tri.

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Sure, but there were also a lot of non-Panamanians cheering for Panama.

10. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    *taking notes here*

-playing Mexico in Columbus for "home field advantage"
    -no tickets remaining

-bears poop where?

:D

11. J. Arthur

J. Arthur New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    St. Louis
    This post gave me goosebumps...

I was at the game, standing in the front row of Sam's army, right behind the net where the goals were scored. Five friends and I painted !E.E.U.U! on our chests, assuming there would be a lot more Mexican fans there, and it was *FREEZING* but we didn't put our shirts on the whole game, just draped our American flags around our shoulders, jumped up and down, sang all game long, brought a whole bag of confetti that we threw when the U.S. scored, high fived everyone in the section, and drove the 4 hours home as satisfied as ever.

The players and Bruce talked more about the crowd than the game in the press conferences, and it was a GREAT game for U.S. soccer.

The game is in Columbus because the USSF apparently cares more about winning the game than selling tickets, and I, for one, am exceedingly grateful that they do.

12. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell are you talking about?

I got my hotel room MONTHS ago as soon as the game was announced. There are 10 of us driving 5 hours down Saturday morning - partying all day - going to the game - partying more - sleeping for a couple hours in the hotel room(s) or RV and then driving home Sunday.

And as others have pointed out - by the time this game went on sale to the general public there were peanuts left in terms of tickets and they sold out in 20 minutes.

Heck, we got our tickets in the US Soccer Fan presale (the 3rd level of presales) and we couldn't get any midfield lower level seats. We had to settle for 2 blocks of 5 each on opposite sides of the stadium around 15 yards up from the end line.

13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, don't discuss results in a threat without an (R) in the title. I had that game Tivoed and you ruined it for me... :mad:

14. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Dude the game was like 4 years ago.

15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude ... sarcasm.

16. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I hope it wasn't, because if it was that was the worst display I have ever seen.

17. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Funny. ​
    Repped ​

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on man, did they even have Tivo 4 years ago?

19. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I guess it wasn't that bad. I am more used to the sarcasm spewed in World Rivalries. That is grade A mud slinging there.

20. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really should get out more often. ;)

[​IMG]

21. Kevin Etzel

Kevin Etzel Member

Jul 18, 2000
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't post that often. What do you have against hippies and people who live in Greenwich Village?

22. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Justin how ya been buddy?

23. ctruppi

ctruppi Member

May 7, 1999
    Annandale, NJ
    Even if there is no home advantage, how about a nice little pay day to Lamar Hunt who has been a prime mover for soccer in the USA. His little stadium there in Colombus seems to have opened the SSS flood gates here and this long-term investment is doing more to ensure the continued growth of this sport here than anything else. Giving this stadium a nice Nats date and a great gate once every 4 years is the least the USSF can do for Mr. Hunt for taking a chance!

GO USA!!! That place better be redder than hell!!

24. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    We should beat Mexico to gain the concacaf supremacy back ! and i think we will.

25. jq pepe

jq pepe New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    los angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    While I understand the situation, I still dont see the problem, lets see...
    with Barcelona,Marquez had faced Liverpool and Chelsea in England and Real Madrid at the Santiago Bernabeu, the 5 chivas players went against Boca at La Bombonera and against Club America at the Azteca, the whole team look cool as cucumbers against Germany at Munich, but they are supposed to be terrified by a bunch of soccer moms at Columbus? the whole premise of a "home" game in the middle of nowhere doesnt make sense.

I think the US should play in the big stadiums, make a lot of money and use it to build more soccer specific stadiums here. overtime, nobody would be worried about 3,000 mexican or honduran fans in home games