US has an image problem

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by verybdog, Oct 2, 2003.

1. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    and how do you propose to change that?

I would suggest to try the following:

1) recall all soldiers stationing overseas in every country; cut the budget of defense in 3/4 & a half;
    2) export American made movies with a deep discount;
    3) build new roads and highways with two-way bicycle path;
    4) take health care and housing out of the for-profit market;
    5) pay women to stay home; all costs of raising kids are covered by the federal government until 18;
    6) increase foreign aids 10 times;
    7) be friend to Cuba, North Korea, Iran, and all other axis of evil;
    8) make soccer the past time of America;
    9) grant Saddam and Bin Laden American citizenship if they publically pronounce they were wrong against america;
    10) require one foreign language (exclude French, German, Chinese, Japanese, Spanish) to graduate from high school;
    11) support the UN in all measures

2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you do #1, then you'll never get around to doing #2-11 because we would be anhilated by our enemies. But, maybe we could all hold hands around the campfire and sing "Kumbaya" with Al Qaeda and Hamas.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > If you do #1, then you'll never get around to
    > doing #2-11 because we would be anhilated by
    > our enemies.

Yeah, we don't want to be next in line after Canada and Mexico were taken over by the Taliban hordes. Please, please tell us you were joking, Ian.

About the image, it's too late. We lost it. We are not going to get it back.

4. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude, make some sense. If the US disarmed, Canada and Mexico would be speaking Mandarin right alongside of us.

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Following the cowards way. This isn't 1919.

And the point of that is?

Easier to build new neighbourhoods that need cars less and improve public transit.

Socialized medcine doesn't work. We've tried here for 40 years.

We don't have money comming out of our ears. Guess it's better we leave kids with a bankrupt nation.

And the US would still do better when it comes to foreign aid than the "rightous" Europeans.

Only a democrat would believe such turd.

Gte off the LSD man!!!

Just as possible as Clinton admitting he hated sex with interns.

Most universities require that doofus. Excluding those languages is even more insulting moron.

Support Dictators and tyrants R' us.

Go back into the cave you've been living in.

6. TheAtomicBull

TheAtomicBull New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Rochester, MN
    I just found this really neat sarcasm detector on the ground.

[​IMG]

It doesn't just happen to belong to anybody replying to the threadstarter, does it?

7. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude! Please rephrase..."pay a parent to stay home..." What makes you think I, the female wants to stay home, but my partner, the male doesn't?!?!? sheesh!

8. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    *cuckoo, cuckoo*

9. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    the scary part is, if you hang around these boards enough, you would start to believe that it wasnt sarcasm..

10. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    Tell that to the Chinese and North Koreans.

We already do.

This would be nice. But my name's not Bodo Zenden. And although I like Dutch babes I don't like Dutch bi-cycles.

I agree with this, but the healthcare industry gives way to much money to your favorite politician (dem or reep) for this to happen.

Dude, you're never getting laid thinking like that.

We already give away BILLIONS.

Why?

We're well on our way. But this will just make the rest of the world hate us more.

Before I tell you how this is the most utterly ridiculous thing I have ever heard, I must ask what are you smoking and where can I get some?

I don't know what highschool or college you went to, but I had to learn Espanol to graduate from both.

Do you know who runs the UN? The third world nations. They have the votes. Do you want Gambia and Ghana telling you how to live?

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Re: Re: US has an image problem

They do? And you got this from IJustPulledThisOutOFMyAss.com?

12. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    No, not at all. Have you heard about this by Gandhi?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind."

Violence begets violence, the truth of the universe.

If Bin Laden (after educated by the US and come to terms with it) had a speech on their Arabic TV network by saying he was wrong about America, I bet the war on terrorism would be over. Based on that contribution, why can't the US government grant him citizenship if his stopping the war on America?

Unless you want the bloodsheds go on forever.

13. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    The sole thing i agree with here is number 10. I'm embarassed with how ignorant most of us are. This would go a long way. However, the rest is pure boulderdash.

Were all doped up on opiates when you wrote this? Disarm? Open our borders to Saddam and OBL if they say "I'm sorry."

Increase foreign aid 10 times?! We already lead the world in billions of dollars donated. If we were to do this, you would put us all in the poor house.

If this is what your America looks like i will fight it every step of the way.

My America:
    1. Continue current military expenditures, but bring back the Crusader program.
    2.Pull out of the UN becuase it comes down to who will we listen to. The UN or the Constitution? The Constitution is the law of this land, not Kofi Annan.
    3. Foreign language requirement.
    4. The federal gov't IS NOT responsible for the raising of our children.
    5. Find and kill Saddam Hussein and OBL
    6.Build roads to last like they do in Europe. Hold roadbuilders responsible for their work.
    7. Revive the rail system;reduce the number of semis on the highways by shipping more cargo via rail.
    8. Continue to put pressure on the axis of evil.
    9. Put pressure on the Saudis.
    10. Spend as much as it takes to make alternative fuel a reliable source.
    11. Spend as much as it takes to make alternative fuel cars economically feasible.
    12.Tell the Saudis to *#*#*#*# off.

14. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Actually, I wish this would happen.

That way, instead of getting a quick'n'easy bullet wound to the head or living out the rest of his days at 5-star Club Gitmo, he'd be literally torn from limb to limb by an angry mob the second he stepped off the plane at Dulles.

15. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Dude, get a clue. He doesn't say "disarm." If the US cut its defense budget by 3/4, it would STILL BE THE MOST EXPENSIVE military in the world.

As far as recalling every troop, I think that's probably a bit extreme. I'm sure there can be legit arguments made for at least a few of them in places.

And while some of the other suggestions were silly or just weird (citizenship to Bin Laden??), your fantasy of China overrunning the US and Canada if we cut our defense budget is beyond the pale.

16. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    What is wrong with you?

17. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    My "12-step plan":

1.Increase the size of occupation forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. Pull all troops out of Bosnia and Kosovo, pull most of them out of Germany, and pull some (30-50%) out of Korea.

2.Institute a mandatory 18-month mandatory national service plan for all Americans beginning the September after they graduate high school. Those choosing military service receive the best pay and benefits, but kids can also choose to work in the Peace Corps, work at a homeless shelter or retirement home or hospital, etc. In times of war able-bodied males can be forced to do their national service in the military, but those who prove themselves to be conscientious objectors can be medics, cooks, translators working stateside, etc (assuming they qualify for these positions).

3.Ban abortion except when the mother's life is in danger.

4.Institute a real "freedom of choice" when it comes to education.

5.Improve "undesirable jobs in desirable professions" by providing programs, modeled on the military's ROTC program, whereby Americans can apply to have the government pay for their medical school, law school, or grad school in a specific educational field. In return, those who are in this program agree to work in hospitals in low-income areas, work as public defenders, or teach in low-income urban or rural school districts for a certain number of years. This could work for other professions as well, but medical, law, and education were the ones that jumped to the top of my mind.

6.Increase foreign aid to true allies in the war on terrorism--from the Eastern European nations to Israel and the Phillipines to places like Eritrea and Djibouti (leaving out UK, Australia, etc only because they wouldn't really need it).

7.Reserve the right to pursue and apprehend al Qaeda operatives and other terrorists who pose a threat to US security in any country on the globe, should the local police be unable or unwilling to do anything about it.

8.Pursue closer ties with Russia and India. They will be our most important strategic allies within a decade or so. No reason why we shouldn't make the first step.

9.Realize that China is not our ally and not our friend, and that they will pose a threat to US security in the not-so-distant future. Realize that Saudi Arabia is not our ally and not our friend, and that they pose a threat to US security at present. Increase covert operations aimed at toppling the House of Saud.

10.Do whatever it takes to decrease our dependency on foreign oil. This means researching alternative fuel sources, but it also means building more nuclear power plants, it means building offshore wind towers in places like Cape Cod, and it means drilling in ANWR.

11.Increase our highway traffic safety. This will cost a lot of money but it will be worth it in the long run. Start by building new lanes, seperated from the rest of the highways, for large trucks. Trucks are not allowed to use the part of the highway that cars use. At some point in the future I'd like to build clear plastic domes over our major highways to keep them free from the effects of weather, but this isn't cost-feasible at the moment.

12.Get the government out of people's lives. Legalizing marijuana and lowering the drinking age to 18 would both improve our national security (terrorist groups get one of their major sources of funding thru the illicit drug trade, on top of we waste obscene amounts of money going after pot-smokers and growers whereas if we legalized it and taxed it we'd actually make money; the high drinking age, on the other hand, fuels the underground fake ID industry whose clients are overwhelmingly college students looking to get booze, but who also include a handful of terrorists--lower the drinking age and you take away 99.9999% of fake ID makers' customers, and it wouldn't be feasible to stay in business just to cater to the terrorists who make up the other .0001%). Privatize the school system, and give out vouchers. Lower income taxes to the lowest rate possible. Stop gun control--it just doesn't work. Force people who file frivolous lawsuits to pay the defendant's legal fees. Etc etc etc.

18. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I want to see Osama bin Laden die a slow and painful death. I don't think there's anything wrong with me.

19. Richth76

Richth76 New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, D.C.
    I vehemently disagree.

20. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, you actually had a pretty good idea tucked away amid all that nonsense.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hear hear! verybdog is not all evil.

22. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    America is a weird country. The citizens on the whole are extremely pleasent, helpful and welcoming to visitors. And yet, the country is generally perveyed by others as arrogant to downright evil.

Why is this? Is it because people are jealous of Americas wealth and prosperity. Maybe, the US sells its products all over the world and movies, TV and Music can be found everywhere. But they're still wolfing down the Big Macs in France, wearing Nike's in Argentina and smoking Malboro's in Russia. If I was jealous of a country because of their economy I wouldn't buy their stuff every day.

It must be the foreign policy and the media. I'm sure the movie Bowling for Columbine has been discussed ad nausem here but you have to see what Michael Moore is driving at even if you disagree with his opinion on guns. America's policy of marching into countrys, over-throwing goverments and giving weapons has back-fired so many times. And the way he talks about the media is spot on aswell. Why are people so scared of everything, untrusting of other nations.

23. jaytee1

jaytee1 New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ayrshire
    Re: Re: Re: US has an image problem

Nice one Belgian geezer.

24. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    The problem with Michael Moore is his never-ending tendency to make things up.

25. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002