US Goalkeeper discussion thread - Part III

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 15, 2017.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The game vs City will be his biggest test to date.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Bring it!!!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    After six months, Horvath has really adjusted supremely well for Luton. I wonder if they'll try and pick him up. I wonder the same with Steffen at Middlesbrough.

4. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will they give him the start in that one? Would be cool, but I'm not sure they will.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He better make it a convincing decision for Arteta.

6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arteta was Pep's assistant, and we know Pep kept giving Steffen the cup games even as they kept advancing... which maybe didn't work out so well in the end, but of course that was headcase Steffen not solid Turner. Didn't Pep have some quote about how he couldn't pull Steffen as that would cause problems in the locker room?

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yes.

Pep Guardiola, Zack Steffen and the dilemma of the luxury back-up goalkeeper | Sporting News

If you say you're going to give a guy the cup games, then you've gotta give the guy the cup games. I do think its possible that Arteta keeps going with Turner.

I mean, Steffen WAS the goalkeeper for the 2020/2021 League Cup run. He was in the nets for a run of games against Bournemouth, Burnley, Arsenal, ManU, and Spurs. All wins.

When we talk about goalkeepers who've LIFTED trophies in English Cup competitions, Steffen is one of them. One of the group. Tim Howard in the 2003-2004 FA Cup. Brad Friedel in the League Cup with Blackburn in 2001-2002. Kasey Keller in the League Cup with Leicester in 96-97.

Deadtigers, theboogeyman and TimB4Last repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, maybe I'm wrong......................but I think Tim Howard is the only American in the modern era to PLAY and win the FA Cup. Regardless of position.

There were some dual English-American or whatever guys waaaaaaaaaay back in the day.

Chelsea has lost three FA Cup finals in a row. Pulisic has gotten close, but no cigar.

Deadtigers and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some podcast said Odunze was giving up some ridiculous number of goals per game, hopefully he's figuring it out though...
    1612807287596322819 is not a valid tweet id

TimB4Last and Winoman repped this.
  10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Nothing amazing there, and the second one is a mistake.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #5211 Clint Eastwood, Jan 11, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    Odunze seems like one of those keepers that can make some incredibly athletic saves at times, but I'm not sure about everything else yet. :) We've had those kind of guys come thru MLS. A young Bill Hamid would make ridiculous saves and make you think he was going to be a USMNT stalwart for the next 15 years. Then he'd bungle how to defend a corner kick.

We would have gotten to see more of Odunze if the 2021 U20 cycle wasn't cancelled. He only recently turned 20, so he's got a way to go. Could be great. Could disappear.

We actually have an incredibly small success rate with keepers coming up thru English academies. And we've had plenty. Who was the recent kid at Chelsea? Oh yeah, Ethan Wady. He's now a backup keeper for Woking in the Nations League (5th Tier). Nicholas Defrietas-Hanson was at Everton in July of 2021. I'm sure we talked about him as a kid to keep an eye on here. Now plays for Atherton Collieries of the Northern Premier League (7th tier). I'm sure we could list 25 kids like that. They just disappear.

Anyway, that's a roundabout way of saying............................let's wait and see with Odunze.

deuteronomy, tomásbernal and Winoman repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let’s hope Chicago can be our FC Dallas of goalkeepers

LouisianaViking07/09 and xbhaskarx repped this.
  14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Peter Cech who reportedly identified Slonina for Chelsea as someone they had to buy.

Assuming Chris Brady is the starter in Chicago this year, I could see him being on a similar Slonina path of going to Europe fairly quickly.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's lacking an EU passport. Hopefully he gets a bunch of winter caps to help him along the way.

17. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that didn’t really help Slonina when it came to going to England.

The EU passport matters a ton for Spain, and to a lesser extent France and Italy (as both have exceptions that make it easier for teams to get around). And then for places like Germany and Belgium it doesn’t matter at all. Even for England the work permit has a different standard for youth players.

18. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little bit of Slonina video...
    1614051048821510144 is not a valid tweet id

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So Slonina is Chelsea's no.3 or is he their no.4 currently?

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barring the miraculous Burnley and Sheffield Utd are pulling away. Its allllll about the playoffs now and Middlesbrough and West Brom are lookin good.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    stef looks a little less fluffy in that pic too. Maybe getting better about gym and food habits?

23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Things are so close right now in the race for playoff spots. We could have yanks on all four teams with Norwich, Luton, and Sunderland right around the line too. I do wonder if Middlesbrough would try to buy Steffen if they go up.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah top ten are all in the playoff race easily

Deadtigers repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009