US Draft v. 5.0 - Picks and Analysis

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by MLSNHTOWN, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    WAsn't it two years ago? A former forward (Rapids) I think....what was that dude's name? He had a really good year for a rookie and then decided to quit mid Us players draft.

2. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I''m afraid that after you draft him, it's done. Players are going to get hurt, retire, get arrested, suck, etc...... I just never thought Ty Harden would be our first casualty this year. Very unexpected.

3. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I agree regarding getting hurt, arrested and sucking. But I think there is something different about retiring. But I don't think we allowed the last person who retired to make another selection, but I wasn't 100% sure. Regardless, our team has plenty of defensive depth and Harden was just our #3 or possibly #4 CB anyway, so no big deal.

4. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it Mark Lisi?

I remember that happening, but I'm not sure if the team got a re-pick. Really surprised about Harden, that was a good pick, who would have thought.....

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point, but I don't think we could do re-picks. It would be chaos. I'd be advocating the same policy, even if it was Edu, our first round pick, who retired. Retiring is the same as a career-ending injury, well, it's not as bad, because Harden could change his mind. It's best if a re-pick happens very quickly, even in the case of ineligible or duplicate picks, and when would we cut it off? When the last pick in the draft was made? This draft is just about over as it is.

6. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    My thought would be generally that you repick immediately as long as the draft is still in progress. But I agree any rule should not really be so much for this year but for future years. Of course I am pretty biased right now since it was Harden that retired.

I can't believe I can't find that Rapids player that retired. It really is bothering me. He was a F or MF....had a very solid rookie year and was going to thought to be a contributor and then retired to pursue other non-soccer opportunities. Someone has to remember dude's name? Or am I on crack again.

7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Man, I know exactly who you're talking about. He was a GA kid who took advantage of the deal, and used that money to go back to school. He was a defender I think. Just can't remember his name.

8. Short Corner

Short Corner Member

Jun 28, 2001
    Casey Schmidt?

9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was him. I don't think he was GA/Pro-40. I recall he had a really sublime touch on the ball and scored some really outrageous goals in preseason... and was very surprised when he retired after the season.

10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Bingo....that was him....and look what he is up to post-soccer....

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/051605aaa.html

Doing internships with the UN, getting a masters in poly sci, etc.

mer men's soccer standout Casey Schmidt has earned a prestigious internship position with the United Nations, and will head to India next month.

Schmidt will be leading a research program looking at the socio-economic impact of AIDS on households. He will be working directly in the HIV/AIDS division and will be in New Delhi for three months.

The 2002 Boston College Eagle of the Year retired from Major League Soccer in 2003 after spending one season with the Colorado Rapids. He is second on the all-time scoring list at Boston College with 82 points.

He is currently pursuing his master's degree in political science at Boston College.

11. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to finish things off, since I have the Quakes starting keeper, and Im too lazy to really research the backup, I take Preston Burpo. Wheee!

12. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Harpdubber '83

Rogers--------Ching--------J. Smith

---------------Feilhaber--------------

------------Arguez---Carroll----------

Corrales--Sturgis---Marshall--Heyduk

---------------Hesmer--------------

Bench:
    Nick Rimando
    Greg Vanney
    Blake Wagner
    Jared Jeffrey
    Kamani Hill
    Jacob Peterson
    Sammy Ochoa

Here's what our final team looks like. We're very happy with the team we've put together. We feel we have a good mix of youth and veterans on our team, and our defenses depth is solid. If Marshall goes out with another concussion than L.A. Galaxy starter Greg Vanney can step in. Wagner, who is projected to be the starting left back for F.C.D., provides cover on the left side of defense or midfield, if we go 4-4-2. We could also switch out Arguez for Sturgis and put Vanney in the back. Overall I think we've got a great team with most of or players set to have significant roles with their club teams.

13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    quite a success story there!

14. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1)) lurking: 1.Landon Donovan, 2.Eddie Gaven, 3.Eddie Robinson, 4.Davy Arnaud, 5.Richard Mulrooney, 6.Wade Barrett, 7.Brian Namoff, 8.Abe Thompson, 9.Ned Grabavoy, 10.Joe Cannon, 11.Devin McTavish, 12.Chris Wondolowski, 13.Kurt Morsink, 14.Sean Franklin, 15.Shea Salinas, 16.Ryan Pore, 17.Andrew Jacobson, 18.Preston Burpo
    2)) joshC & KennyWoo: 1.Clint Dempsey, 2. Michael Parkhurst, 3. Jonathan Spector, 4. Josh Wolff, 5. Danny Szetela, 6. Lee Nguyen, 7. Gregg Berhalter, 8. Gabriel Ferrari, 9. Anthony Wallace, 10. Kasey Keller, 11. Corey Ashe, 12. Mike Magee, 13. Danny O'Rourke, 14. Mike Orozco, 15. Steve Purdy, 16. Andre Akpan, 17. Bobby Rhine, 18. Tally Hall
    3)) Short Corner: 1. Michael Bradley, 2. Kenny Cooper, 3. Jimmy Conrad, 4. Ante Razov, 5. Steve Ralston, 6. Michael Harrington, 7. Clyde Simms, 8. Marc Burch, 9. Ryan Cochrane, 10. Craig Waibel, 11. Sasha Victorine, 12. Jemal Johnson, 13. Matt Pickens, 14. Carey Talley, 15. Marcus Tracy, 16. Aaron Pitchkolan, 17. Troy Perkins, 18. Dominic Mediate
    4)) davenport & beazley17: 1. Freddy Adu, 2. Tim Howard, 3. Jay Demerit, 4. Charlie Davies, 5. Sal Zizzo, 6. Jeff Cunningham, 7. Seth Stammler, 8. Pete Vagenas, 9. Jesse Marsch, 10. Oforie Sarkodie, 11. Amaeche Igwe, 12. John Wolyniec, 13. Alan Gordon, 14. Ian Joy, 15. John DiRaimondo, 16. Jim Curtin, 17. Rusty Pierce, 18. Josh Lambo
    5)) Elninho & giffenbone: 1. Bobby Convey, 2. Steve Cherundolo, 3.Jonathan Bornstein, 4. Ben Olsen, 5. Danny Califf, 6. Nate Jaqua, 7. Nevin Subotic, 8. Clint Mathis, 9. Wells Thompson, 10. Marcus Hahnemann, 11. Joe Vide, 12. Conor Casey, 13. Kelly Gray, 14. Colin Clark, 15. Eric Brunner, 16. C.J. Brown, 17. Michael Enfield, 18. Ray Burse
    6)) Appoo & Sean/SC SeaPoo: 1. Ricardo Clark, 2. Oguchi Onyewu, 3. Arturo Alvarez, 4. Stuart Holden, 5. Claudio Reyna, 6. Chad Barrett, 7. Drew Moor, 8. Kyle Martino, 9. Nick Garcia, 10. Lawson Vaughn, 11. Matt Reis, 12. Troy Roberts, 13. Jovan Kirovski, 14. Alejandro Bedoya, 15. Tony Beltran, 16. Leonard Griffin, 17. Josh Grenier, 18. Zach Thornton
    7)) Geneva & StillKickin/TeamSexyFootball: 1. Maurice Edu, 2. Chris Rolfe, 3. Kyle Beckerman, 4. Bobby Boswell, 5. Brian Mullan, 6. Chris Albright, 7. Adam Cristman, 8. Mike Randolph, 9. Nat Borchers, 10.James Riley, 11. Steve Cronin, 12. Josh Tudela, 13. Mike Videira, 14. Jason Garey, 15. Rob Valentino, 16. Chris Wingert, 17. Brad Evans, 18. Jon Busch
    8)) mcnaulty21 & soccrbom2/Team TBA (Totally Bad Ass): 1. Josmer Altidore, 2. Carlos Bocanegra, 3. Dax McCarty, 4. Brad Guzan, 5. Brad Davis, 6. Jose Burciaga Jr., 7. Herculez Gomez, 8. Chris Klein, 9. Tim Ward, 10. Jack Jewsbury, 11. Jeff Parke, 12.Calen Carr, 13. Mike Petke, 14. Greg Dalby, 15. Ryan Guy, 16. Julian Valentin, 17. Chris Lancos, 18. Quentin Westberg
    9)) MLSNHTOWN & Kevin8833/Team Dirty South: 1. Eddie Johnson, 2. Sacha Kljestan, 3. Marvelle Wynne, 4. Robbie Findlay, 5. Jeremiah White, 6. Eddie Lewis, 7. Cory Gibbs, 8. Jeff Larentowicz, 9. Chance Myers, 10. Patrick Ianni, 11. Ty Harden, 12. Jay Heaps, 13. Marc Heider, 14. Jose Francisco Torres, 15. Patrick Phelan, 16. Adin Brown, 17. Zach Wells, 18. Brek Shea
    10)) Harper916 & Joedub83/FC Harpdubber ‘83: 1. Benny Feilhaber, 2. Brian Ching, 3. Robbie Rogers, 4. Nate Sturgis, 5. Frankie Hejduk, 6. Johann Smith, 7. Brian Carroll, 8. Ramiro Corrales, 9. Kamani Hill, 10. Chad Marshall, 11. Bryan Arguez, 12. Jacob Peterson, 13. Greg Vanney, 14. Blake Wagner, 15. Sammy Ochoa, 16. Will Hesmer, 17. Jared Jeffrey, 18. Nick Rimando
    11)) Father Ted & FIFAray007: 1. DaMarcus Beasley, 2. Brian McBride, 3. Pablo Mastroeni, 4. Heath Pearce, 5. Dasan Robinson, 6. Preston Zimmerman, 7. Hunter Freeman, 8. Eric Avila, 9. Brian West, 10. Zak Whitbread, 11. Chris Seitz, 12. Cam Weaver, 13. Carlos Mendes, 14. Brian Plotkin, 15. Jamil Walker, 16. Ciaran O’Brien, 17. Ritchie Kotschau, 18.Jon Conway
    12)) kuhnscoot & IASocFan/KCIA Connection: 1. Justin Mapp, 2. Taylor Twellman, 3. Pat Noonan, 4. Frankie Simek, 5.Todd Dunivant, 6. Alecko Eskandarian, 7. Brad Friedel, 8. Clarence Goodson, 9. Ugo Ihemelu, 10. Kerry Zavagnin, 11. Logan Pause, 12. Edson Buddle, 13. Aaron Holbein, 14. Will John, 15. Alex Yi, 16. Quavas Kirk, 17. Jorge Flores, 18. Kevin Hartman

15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry it took me so long, but above is the list of picks by team. Look it over for your team & let me know if I made any mistakes.

When it's final, we should post it on the "Big Board" or possibly post to a separate thread with our line-ups and a poll for early season rankings of the teams.

I thought the draft went really smoothly this year & I enjoyed it.

16. giffenbone

giffenbone Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    our picks look correct...thanks Geneva

17. unnamedsource

unnamedsource Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks a lot for putting the time into this. I was a bit slow at some points, but overall I really enjoyed it.

18. KennyWoo

KennyWoo Member

May 21, 2007
    Pasadena, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. This was a blast. Thanks to everyone, and thanks to my partner, Joshc.

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    onto the voting thread then?