US commentary is inane

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by ConsiderPhlebas, Sep 24, 2003.

1. ConsiderPhlebas

ConsiderPhlebas New Member

Sep 24, 2003
    Why would you have US pathetic commentary for example for the Man City UEFA cup tie?

The idiots are NOT at the ground.

Get the UK commentary, with commentators who are at the game on ! ! !

2. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Money.

3. ConsiderPhlebas

Sep 24, 2003
    Monet ?

Money ?

I doubt that having got the live rights that the commentary would cost anymore.

Jobs for the boys more like ! Stupidity.

They should be at the venue, or shut the <F> up.

4. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    Repeat after me:

FOX Sports World is a training ground for announcers, producers, technicians, etc.

The guys in LA are using FOX Sports World to get plenty of experience before they move on.

Let's put it this way: the guys in LA love what they do and they put in very long hours.

If they didn't like what they do, they would have left and would have made more money flipping burgers at Mickey D's long ago.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man City has a "Chinaman." At least, that's what a British announcer called Everton's Chinese player last year (Li Tie?) After that, they started using the LA guys for Everton matches. "Chinaman" ain't polite here.

The other possibility is they didn't want spoilers. I don't know what other games they may be showing.

PS...Ollie, that's the nicest thing I've ever seen you write. :) I think your heart grew two sizes or something.

6. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Monet ?

Depending on which Network is doing the game yes it would/

I've got no problem with that.

Don't ever watch anything on the Spanish networks then.

7. ConsiderPhlebas

Sep 24, 2003
    Pathetic

You miss the point totally.

The coverage they have is as shown in the UK, often on Sky Sports Channel. The commentary provided in English is by commentators who are actually in the ground !

Why then have second rate coverage by commentators 5000 or more miles away. Most of the time the US commentators have no clue of the names, and make player comment too late. It is hilarious when for example a long ball happens, they have no clue to whom the player is passing too. Much better to be in the stadium.

The USA is way too politically correct, you can probably find something offensive for every race under the sun, and no matter wehat phrase you use, could be deemed offensive. Thank Christ I am not a yank!

Shall we refer to players like a white caucasian passes to a South East Asian etc. etc.

By the grace of God, Thank God, I am ENGLISH.

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    God save King George!

9. PSU92

PSU92 Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Annandale VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Pathetic

No I don't.

I prefer when we get the Sky Sports feed but, I am not going to cry when we don't.

Yes but, they are not necessarily allowed to pick up the Sky feed if it is indeed on Sky.

If it is on a BBC channel or some other service than they can't pick it up.

Money & contractual barriers

I can't disagree.
    Flawed coverage is better than no coverage.

Fair Enough

We thank him even more that you are not.

How about using their names?

Bully for you. :rolleyes:

10. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    the guy has a point.. regardless...

take GOLTV's coverage... excellent!

they used Jonathan Pearce... who is not the best UK commentator... but is leaps and bounds over Bretos and Webster... I didnt even watch the Man City game... because the GolTV coverage was excellent... they ARE making better choices regarding their commentating teams.. they go with the euro feed if available.. the coverage of La Liga is superb... FSW now has viable competition and if they dont strive to improve, they WILL not survive the long haul... GOLtv and the possibility of a Setanta channel shows that other choices ARE available... we wont put up with amateur commentary anymore...

FSW you are on notice...

Cantona--

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Christ probably had less to do with it than that Turkish sailor looking for a bargain in the red light district, nine months before you were born. When you're short of cash, the toothless, blotchy whore looks pretty good.

12. akimmel

akimmel New Member

May 19, 2003
    Frisco
    Wow.....this is getting rough...but hilarious. I will say this regarding GolTV vs FSW. Yes, Gol does seem to go with the English feed when available, but when it isn't the quality of GOL's english language commentary vs FSW's is piss poor. As much as you don't like Bretos or Webster, the 12 year olds they use on GOL are an abomination.

13. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Re: Re: US commentary is inane

Who stole Oliver's password? I was expecting a rant about some off-shore tax dealings in Lower Uzbekistan.

14. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Blow it out your pie hole, Phlebas.

I have no idea what country you're from, but as you may or may not have noticed soccer in the USA is not the money printing machine it once was in Europe. Yet.

So right now, we've got a few guys in studios calling games. And guess what - some of us like listening to the ramblings of the boisterous Max Bretos and his band of merry men. [/B][/QUOTE]

Again, blow it out your pie hole, Phlebas. For MLS games, we do have announcers in teh booths at the stadium. But I am sure you didn't know taht nor do you care as I have no doubt you dismiss teh quality of MLS in spite of the fact of never having attended an MLS game or seen an entire MLS game on TV.

My guess is that the player banging the ball forward has no clue who he was passing to either unless he meant to hit it to the head of a player on the other team.

Thank America too while you're at it - other wise you might have grown up with a poster of Oliver Kahn in your bedroom.

15. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I must say, I love the fact I can watch Madrid on my tv every weekend now.

However, I didn't last even a minute with GolTV's announcer. As soon as he tried to describe the uniforms, paused for what seemed like 20 minutes and came up with 'dark, dark, blue' as the color for Madrid's uniforms (when any idiot with a minimum of intrest in RMCF knows black has been the 'talisman' away for a number of years now) I switched to the spanish feed.

Which, actually, was quite enjoyable.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [​IMG]

cor blimey, guv. ya cant bleedin' tell me ya ain't got these in engerlund.

Then again, maybe they don't, and that's why they had to export Nick Webster.

17. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    MUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats what most people have been doing with the crap commentary of Bretos since FSW started.. GOLTV has a vision that shows they are prepared to show football at the highest level.. AND presented that way.... FSW would not even be around except for the Expat crowd.. so for all the eurosnob crowd... your welcome. FSW has been a so-called training ground for announcers and producers... the problem is.. they havent went anywhere for the last 4 years...

face it.. their crap.. and they know they are
    (chorus)

Finally a viable adversary to FSW... and they are doing it right...

Without european football there would be no WUSA - oops... I mean MLS...

:)
    Cantona--------

*thats a goal-

18. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I worship max bretos. I cannot get enough of max bretos.

19. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    Cantona,

I actually like Max Bretos, esp. when he's teamed with that guy when he does the argentine league. But I will agree that the UK commentators are better, but then I also will consent that the EPL is better than MLS. (There are points for and against, but this conclusion still seems unavoidable.) I agree that competition makes people -- and networks -- better. But it's ABC/ESPN that are going to lose out, because their announcers are truely tripe. If you do not see them where you are, I urge you to make no attempt to judge for yourself but rather avoid them until further notice. If you must watch, use mute continuously, no matter how enticing the graphics.

My Commentary Preference Chart:

Sky feed (I see it on FSW)
    FSW
    Galavision/Telemundo (en espanol)
    ABC/ESPN

What is this GolTV you mention? Where can i get it? Is it a new cable network (hopefully)?

- J

20. Kevin in Louisiana

Kevin in Louisiana New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Metairie, LA
    I think GolTV's starting to come out on cable in soem places. It's on Dish Network but not DirecTV (exclusive satellite contract with Dish).

21. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bretos is a God!!! Long live Mad Max!!!

22. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    why can't we all just be happy that we can actually see all these games from around the world? sheesh...

and long live Captain Max...