News: US Calls 30 Players For 2018 January Camp

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Sebsasour, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION (Club; Caps/Goals):
    GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Bill Hamid (Midtjylland/DEN; 4/0), Cody Cropper (New England Revolution; 0/0), Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew SC; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (9): Danny Acosta (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Justen Glad (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 0/0), Justin Morrow (Toronto FC/CAN; 3/0), Ike Opara (Sporting Kansas City; 0/0), Tim Parker (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN; 0/0), Matt Polster (Chicago Fire; 0/0), Brandon Vincent (Chicago Fire; 1/0), Walker Zimmerman (Los Angeles Football Club; 1/0)

MIDFIELDERS (11): Tyler Adams (New York Red Bulls; 1/0), Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 15/2), Russell Canouse (D.C. United; 0/0), Marky Delgado (Toronto FC/CAN; 0/0), Marlon Hairston (Colorado Rapids; 0/0), Ian Harkes (D.C. United; 0/0), Brooks Lennon (Real Salt Lake; 0/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 1/0), Kelyn Rowe (New England Revolution; 3/1), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 2/0), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy; 37/6)

FORWARDS (6): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution; 27/3), Dom Dwyer (Orlando City SC; 4/2), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC; 24/5), Christian Ramirez (Minnesota United FC; 0/0), Rubio Rubin (Unattached; 4/0), CJ Sapong (Philadelphia Union; 3/0)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ational-training-center-for-2018-january-camp

Winoman, Marko72 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know why FCD denied letting Acosta come?

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Cody Cropper is a waste, but I'm not going to lose sleep. Would've liked Sean Davis from RBNY if we are reaching deep.

4. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Galarcep said on twitter that FCD declined call ups to prepare for CCL

Winoman and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the more uninspiring rosters in a long while. At least last January camp we could pretend to be interested in seeing how Benny F would perform.

Deep Wilcox and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  7. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ian Harkes was called in because of Arena's relationship with his father. It's more cronyism. He didn't in any way warrant it with his play. I was disappointed with him this season. Not enough mettle or athleticism displayed.

I'm sure Lletget would have been called in if ready given their relationship and what he showed so far in the red, white, and blue.

Relieved to see Lima there. I'd prefer seeing Adams listed in defense and have the both start.

Prefer to see the likes of Melia, Finlay, JeGo, Long, Lewis, Farfan, Rosenberry, and Farfan . Melia and Finlay deserve it on merit and the latter ones are superior prospects to their alternatives, imo. But none of them are egregious errors. It's an ok roster from a prospect standpoint.

There is a dearth of leadership/proven players to facilitate integration. Would have liked to have seen 1 at every level, i.e.: Besler, Sacha, Dax. It's going to be harder to see who is legit this way, especially in 1 games instead of two.

Patrick167 and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  8. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol is Harkes there because of his last name?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  10. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Honest question. Why Zardes?

11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And follow-up question. Rubin? Does he even still play football?

TxEx, skim172, Anderson11 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Is it possible to fire a vacant position, because I would.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Fine. No major complaints.

Some decisions though should be analyzed.

How does Cody Cropper get a call up? Did they watch him last season? Gonzalez is younger and better, Melia is considerably better. Maybe the difference between the worst and best starting goalie in MLS, not to mention many others who would've been better for that spot than Cropper. He won't play though, but he shouldn't have even been called in.

CB is mostly fine, RB is mostly fine. I wouldn't have called in Morrow. We know he's not good enough, and he's going to end up taking away minutes that should go to Vincent and Acosta. Garza is also a better player IMO, if we wanted an older LB option.

Canouse, Harkes, Lennon, Hairston, Zardes don't belong, but there aren't many options in midfield. Cut these guys though once you get down to friendly. The forwards are fine, but Rubin doesn't belong.

Patrick167 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  14. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because our coaches always love the strong athletic types and he is that guy.

Pl@ymaker and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -------------Morris---------------
    --Sapong---Rowe----Arriola--
    ---------Delgado--Roldan---------
    Lima----------------------------Adams
    ----------Glad---Zimmerman--------
    -------------Hamid---------------------

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    They wanted to fill out 30 names. Thats alright. A lot of these players don't belong. If they made the roster 23 and they took off guys like (Cropper, Harkes, Canouse, Zardes, Hairston, Lennon, Rubin), I think there would be a lot less complaints.

But they should be doing that. If those are not the names cut when they pair down the roster (give or take one or two you could argue), there's a problem.

I don't have a problem with those players "training" with the squad. Its not like they'll be overwhelmed by the level. If they get on the field for the friendly, thats when people should be upset.

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewis, Farfan, Rosenberry, Melia, JeGo, Finlay, and Long are actually the types I think could have impress at camp, warranted an appearance in the match accordingly, and thus not freak out fans that those caps weren't wasted. I think the roster is more than fine from a general standpoint. It's clear sufficient research was done by Sarena here, but again they didn't pay attention to detail (not having a vet for every level, or much of a CAM also displays this), and some biases again show. Looking forward to getting a manager into the program who doesn't do those things for a recent change.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  18. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes is there to wear the armband.

*ducks*

19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    “Veteran” leadership and his high work rate? As horrible as he is technically, he was generally effective for us and could see why a coach would want him in camp. On the field is another issue.

• With 37 caps, Gyasi Zardes is the most seasoned player at the international level, followed by Juan Agudelo (27), Jordan Morris (24) and Paul Arriola (15).

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have looked for leadership in more centrally located fuse pieces who can dictate tempo and/or organize like Besler, Kljestan, and McCarty. Zardes can't do it. He's a hustler who can't maintain possession. The real reason is the same as why Harkes is there. A past relationship with him or his father.

21. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Hey, Wynalda is out of town campaigning for President. Ian will be in LA for a few weeks. All should be good.

Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  22. Anderson11

Anderson11 Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no interest in this group of players.

23. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I was more irritated before I read that the Dallas guys were held out by Dallas.

Goalies - definitely would have liked Jesse Gonzalez instead of Cropper, but Dallas said so.

Defense - I guess Opara and Morrow are reasonable current depth additions, but I question how long they will remain in the picture. But given that almost none of the non-MLS players would have been released, this is a reasonable list, with lots of guys who merit consideration for a first or second cap.

Midfield - Kellyn Acosta is a glaring omission, but again, Dallas. Wouldn't have gone with Harkes of Hairston myself, but I'm assuming Lletget is still recovering. I don't see obvious younger MLS midfielders failing to make the list, so maybe Nagbe would make sense for some continuity, but not great. It's actually probably for the best that we didn't throw in a Bedoya just for veteran leadership.

Forward - Dwyer and Sapong seem a little old for this camp, but are also good for current depth even if not for long term future. Rubin hasn't proven much lately but the camp should be good for his prospects of finding a club. Again, short on obvious oversights from MLS or youth national teams who aren't still only 17. Maybe we could have added the M/F types from the U-17 team (Carleton, Weah, Sargent) - but I'm comfortable with not making this an ultra-young roster.

24. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    #24 Cannons, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Most of these I have no idea about but Im glad we dont see Bradley or Jozy here this year. Zardes is exactly why having Dave Sarachan run this is a mistake. Zardes should be left behind starting now. Also, were are the young ones like Sargent, Carleton and a couple of others? Their omission reeks of Arena. He would never use young players and that's why he got fired..again. I think Sarachan is a chip off the old block and would bet dollars to doughnuts he talks to Arena even now on who to call in. After all, after this camp, his best chance is hanging on for Arena's next gig. Good to keep in touch now. Its just too bad we dont have our new head coach in place for this camp and also why we can't see the end of Dave Sarachan fast enough for me.

Patrick167 repped this.
  25. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    This roster almost like a "******** you" to all the players who didn't get called.

"Lee Nguyen, Sacha Kjlestan, and all y'all - guess what? We'll call in a jobless Rubio Rubin before you ever get a sniff."

Anderson11 repped this.