US bidding for 2007 WWC

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Aug 15, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    http://www.soccertv.com/

So how realistic are the US's chances of landing this? I figured that the 2007 WWC would go to a European country before coming back to US soil in 2011.

What are the chances of say Austrailia, Canada, or South America hosting one of the next two or three WWCs?

2. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I'm already not so fond of China gaining hosting rights again ... Much less the U.S. getting it, just 8 years after the 1999 WWC.

There surely has to be other interested parties. Unless noone else wants to do it for 2007, I don't know how good their chances will be.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The US will get every 3rd WWC until they either A) Cancel it or B) someone else makes a dime at it.

WWC'99 was a cash cow. The Olympics keep coming back to the US for the same reason. Americans spend a lot of money.

4. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I wish Norway could host the WWC, but the market is too small. Many of the games would be staged virtually unattended. If the WWC comes to Europe, it will most likely be held in Germany next time.

5. twell_girl

twell_girl New Member

Jul 28, 2002
    cali
    bet if no other country is interested, the US could definitely land that spot...
    but, as i have read, there could and has to be other countries showing interest now.
    hence, the chances of US landing the bid is slim because of WWC 1999 being held in the US...
    but then, the WWC committte could substantially profit from hosting the '07 cup in the US...
    heck, if that happens, i'd attend every single game of our nat team...and take all of my cousins with me (i have a very big family:D)
    (pardon me if i sound like reiterating everyone's post)

...i just read mr. mead's post. better believe his comments more than anyone, i guess...[​IMG]

...CIAO!
    ...The SurfDiva

6. ranjeboom

ranjeboom New Member

Jun 30, 2001
    But doesn't that scenario of underattendance apply across the board to womens "world football" in Europe? I mean, where in Europe could a WWC be staged with-OUT underattendance? The U.S. is the only venue in the world [with the possible exception of Canada] that could draw a significant crowd.

7. Bombatta2

Bombatta2 New Member

Big faux pas on ranjeboom's part......

You'll have to excuse Mr. ranjeboom, he's new......

But the U.S. is absolutely NOT the only venue in the world that could, has or will draw a significant crowd to the WWC.

There is, of course, China, host in 1991, and host next year. It's not just because China has well over a billion people. It's not just because of their booming economy. It's not just because they will get behind any team of theirs that does well, no matter the sport or gender.

It is because they will attend every single match, no matter the weather conditions, no matter who is playing, no matter what else is going on, or they will be executed. :)

I'm only partially joking. Don't forget pictures and videos of the 1991 WWC, with large numbers of young men yanked at random from the nearest factories to `attend' the Cup.

8. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but haven't some of the UEFA WCQ's had darn good attendance? For some odd reason the number 21,000 comes to mind for a recent match between two Euro teams.

:confused:

9. ranjeboom

ranjeboom New Member

Jun 30, 2001
    What I had said originally was "where in Europe could a WWC be staged with-OUT underattendance?" ... and Bombatta said, "There is, of course, China, host in 1991, and host next year. "

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but when did China move to Europe? I must have missed the Nightline News that day.

As to the 21k that the UEFA qualies drew that FearM9 mentioned, I'd heard that too in some thread or other, but it seems flukey to me. I can't help but think that a whole bunch of guys showed up to ridicule and laugh at the players. Sort of like what happens in Brazil. Although, 21k IS a good number, no matter what sordid reasoning drew them to the game.

Still and all, I question the attendance capacity of Europe for a WWC, if only that the European "continent" does not have a long-standing reputation of supporting womens sports, especially one so male oriented as futbol.

Thenceforth and blah blah hummenah hummenah, my opinion remains unchanged.

10. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    The 20,000 attendance game between two European teams you guys refer to was played between Sweden and Switzerland. It might have been a WCQ game or a friendly. I can't remember.

A domestic league match in Sweden drew 7,000 this past weekend, so women's soccer is booming there now, but they hosted the World Cup in 1995 and will most likely not host again soon.

11. ringster

ringster New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Quebec, Canada
    Canada officially made it's bid for the event on the Saturday before the final. With what happened with the U-19 World Championships in Canada I think we have a good chance of getting it. Now that would be auwsome.

12. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Ultimately, the question is whether FIFA wants to make money or grow the female game in Europe.

And 2006, the male game is in Germany, so the next question is, would you want it in Germany the year following the mens WC.

Or do you be bold and have it in England.

Basically it's money making versus the social issue of expanding the female game.

Do you take the short term money or look for the long term approach??

13. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having a WWC in Canada isn't a bad idea. In fact, I believe that's what is going to happen in '07. Come on, it's not like 2,000 miles away from the US, ITS JUST RIGHT UP THERE FOR GOODNESS SAKES! There's plenty of big northern American cities right near the USA-Canada border and the there has been a reasonable number of people at teh U-19 games, so attendance wouldn't be much of a problem. The only reservation I have is the number of GOOD available stadiums they have. I know there is the one in Edmonton, but what about the others? I just don't want them to be held in the odd baseball stadiums, except maybe those all-purpose stadiums that happen to have a baseball team.

The thing about popularizing the women's game in Europe by holding the games there is kind of tricky. Most of the Europeans don't really pay any attention to the Quals anyway, so having the WWC there wouldn't really change anything. If you want to get the product out there, you have to advertise the hell out of the good games attended by large enthusiastic crowds, so that maybe the European market would wisen up and see how much the women's game has grown and how equally entertaining most of them are to the men's game.

14. *Crazy_Chastain*

*Crazy_Chastain* New Member

Mar 19, 2000
    Florida
    Yeah, I agree it would be kinda fair for the 2007 WWC to be somewhere else, but as its been pointed out, it just doesn't seem too likely. It would be great for us USWNT fans if it were here...I'd definitely try to make it to a few of those matches!