US Bid Committee Has Deep Stadium Call List

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by BuffloSoldier, Apr 8, 2009.

1. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: stadiums and US World Cup bid...

The Dirk Diggler of bids.

2. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a total made up figure on my part, but I estimate that the Rose Bowl will need about $250 million in upgrades at least to bring it up to FIFA's liking. A lot has changed in the last 20 years in terms of stadium standards, now if it a stadium is not some brand new shiny amusement park, it can't host a major event. I think the proposed LA NFL stadium could have quite a significant effect on USSF's WC bid if it can pass.

3. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Baton Rouge's Tiger Stadium at night would be insane. It is the loudest stadium on that list (though the two Seattle stadiums are very loud as well). In 1988 after an late LSU touchdown, Tiger Stadium was so loud, it registered as a small earthquake on campus! They even sing the Star Spangled Banner loud! The challenge would to get 90,000+ people down there for a soccer match.

4. Sebring98

Sebring98 Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Everyone I've talked to that's been to both says Ben Hill Griffin (University of Florida) is the loudest they've ever been to. The way it's built holds the noise in. And to give a plug to my alma mater, a Jordan-Hare night game is loud as ********.

5. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These matches will only be held in large cities.

6. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, we are talking 2018 here at the earliest. A stadium that is just a mote in some owner/cities eye at this point could easily be done in time for the event. This list doesnt have to include all the venues, just be enough to convince FIFA that the US could host a competitive world cup.

7. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are kidding?

You're aware that Nashville is one of the biggest tourist destinations in the U.S.? As far as the touristy stuff to keep World Cup fans happy on the off days Phoenix, Baltimore-Washington and Nashville are the three best venues in the country.

8. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh goodie! I see they have University of Phoenix stadium in Glendale on the US Soccer website.

9. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of LP field, do you know that basically, downtown Nashville is pretty much run by tourists from Europe? Ask anyone who works or lives there (Me).

I mean, if this city can host Fan Fair without blinking, it can host the World Cup, and I don't see FIFA having a problem with a fixture in a city already well known by European tourists.

10. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It should be a showcase of American stadiums. Leave out the old piece of shit bowl stadiums from 1920. The whole world will be watching and few things are less impressive in sports than an old fashioned stadium that has had little modification.

So, the short list is:
    Dallas - New Cowboys' Stadium
    Arizona - The University of Phoenix Stadium
    Houston - Reliant Stadium
    Seattle - Quest Field (grass installed)

All other stadiums are BORING and bland. All other football stadiums look alike. Giant boring bowls with zero aesthetic value. They're unimpressive. NYC, get a ********ing stadium worthy of the "Greatest City in the World" as you like to call yourselves. LA, get a ********ing stadium that wasn't built before WW2. Chicago, Soldier Field is hideous; looks like a giant spaceship decided it was a good place to park...Okay, you get my drift. We're very unoriginal and boring in this country when it comes to stadium design, outside of those 4 mentioned. You will find no peers for those 4 in this country. So, we've got 9-13 years to get our act together.

As for domes, the world's game isn't played in domes during the summer time unless you're in a place that experiences very hot weather (Texas, Arizona). So, Detroit, Indy, Atlanta, should get retractable roofing or miss out on the party.

11. Churchdown Yank

Jan 14, 2006
    Gloucester UK
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok - I gotta finally say something about this. London-Seattle direct is about 9 hours. BA 48/49 does it direct daily. Get out a globe and a piece of string. It's called the "polar route".

The only issue with the U.S. in my mind is the internal travel. After that, no other country can offer the stadiums, hospitality, security and infrastructure that we can. 2018/2022 is in the bag. Just a question of which one and which stadiums!

12. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think pretty much every college stadium can be taken out of the running.

This is my totally unofficial, half-assed list of current/under-construction stadiums that could legitimately host...
    Georgia Dome
    M&T Bank Stadium
    Gillette Stadium
    Bank of America Stadium
    Soldier Field
    Cotton Bowl
    JerryWorld
    Invesco Field
    Ford Field
    Lambeau Field (being a bit hopeful-homerish
    Reliant Stadium
    Lucas Oil Stadium
    Arrowhead Stadium
    Rose Bowl (would the seats be an issue, this time around?)
    Dolphin Stadium
    TCF Bank Stadium
    LP Field
    Superdome
    New Medowlands Stadium
    Lincoln Financial Field
    University of Phoenix Stadium
    Alamodome
    Qualcomm Stadium
    Qwest Field
    Edwards Jones Dome
    Raymond James Stadium
    RFK Memorial Stadium
    FedEx Field

Even cutting out the ones that have no chance, 25-30 is a pretty solid crop

13. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did everyone miss the most interesting part of the article?

Apparently soccer is no longer a euro-commie sport anymore.

14. USINEU

USINEU New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    few comments & questions:

do you think FIFA wants a final in a hot city? Might be too scorching/humid in the summer for some of those listed. Could slow down action...

if in the rose bowl, would have to be noon start. EU is 9 hours ahead, have to keep them happy.

what is largest stadium currently? UMich - with 105K?

has to be major city with hotel rooms, restaurants, transport, massage parlors etc. gaineville would not cut it.

15. ajvf97

ajvf97 Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Sacramento
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Per FIFA, the WC bid needs to include a list of at least 12 stadiums. I'm not sure if they have a limit for actual host cities if/when awarded but based on the attendance records from '94 I would say go with more than 12 host cities. Virtually every major metropolitan market in the U.S. has a stadium that has been recently built/upgraded that meets and/or surpasses standards for hosting a WC match. With all these stadiums and their seating capacity, it would make sense to give more people a chance to attend matches and the more cities that host, the better their chances of attending.

I think that out of that prospective list, all regions of the U.S. would be well represented and it would hopefully work out the logistics and travel for fans and teams. Here's my list of host cities:

Seattle - Qwest Field
    Phoenix - University of Phoenix Stadium
    Dallas - New Cowboys Stadium
    Houston - Reliant Stadium
    New York - New Meadowlands Stadium
    Chicago - Soldier Field
    Nashville - LP Field
    Denver - Mile High Stadium
    New England - Gillette Stadium
    Philly - Lincoln Financial Field
    DC - Renovated RFK or FedEx or new stadium in DC proper
    San Francisco Bay Area - If 49ers can get new stadium. Oakland coliseum is old and would need many renovations including improving the configurations and sight lines not to mention widening the concourses otherwise the capacity is there
    Los Angeles - Rose Bowl would have to be renovated. Coliseum would as well. The proposed new stadium to lure an NFL team doesn't even exist but if it were to happen then it would probably host.
    Cleveland - Browns Stadium
    KC - Arrowhead Stadium
    St. Louis - EJDome. Provided it has A/C. I heard Silver dome didn't have that back in 94!
    Indy - Lucas Oil
    Miami - Dolphin Stadium (heat and humidity might be a factor in whether it hosts or not)
    Charlotte - B of A Stadium

I believe this list gives cities that didn't host in '94 or have never hosted major soccer matches the chance to showcase their stadiums and cities. Cities that have already hosted have become a staple for soccer support. IMO, and I don't think I'm alone when I say this, these cities and their stadiums will make the U.S. 2018/2022 bid extremely difficult to beat. Couple that with an impressive '94 tourney and England will need more than just the crybaby excuse of not having hosted the WC in half a century.

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Exactly.

From Boston to Orlando to Pasadena; travel friendly distances for fans were the last thing they had on their minds when the planned USA 94.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Fifa_World_Cup#Venues

If anything, they tried to spread it out as much as possible.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kissinger was peripherally involved in the '94 bid IIRC.

18. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Henry the K was also part of the NASL Board of Govenors back in the day, if memory serves...

19. ElRoss425

ElRoss425 Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we win the WC bid, I see us putting the final in New York. LA got it last time and NYC is the most renown, whatever that means, city in our country. I could see the new Dallas stadium being a possibility too though due to how luxurious it is supposed to be.

20. Tyneside4life

Tyneside4life Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I'm just talking out of my ass and completely imagined this, but I thought I heard somewhere that the new Giants Stadium wasn't going to be able to fit a FIFA regulated sized field. Idk, just something I thought I heard. Also, you can pretty much knock off just about every college stadium because most of then definitely can't fit a FIFA regulated sized field. The Shoe, for one, had one of the smallest fields in MLS when the Crew played there, and now with the renovations, it would be impossible to play there.

21. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Um, wha? -Signed Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Denver, Seattle...

You do realize they're in the middle of constructing a new stadium for the Giants/Jets next to the current Giants stadium, right?

Whenever this topic has come up in the past, there have been pretty exhaustive discussions about what the FIFA regulated sized field is and, more difficult yet, the FIFA requirements for a WC field, which includes extra room for WC signboards and security. When I raised this earlier in the thread, another poster asserted that the bid proposal process would likely require locations to agree to substantial renovations.

That would make sense. As I understand it Fedex Field cannot fit either a FIFA sized field nor a WC sized field, so its bid would involve taking out several rows of seats. Past discussions have more or less concluded that the problem is corners, and most NFL stadia would require taking out the corner seating that exists now.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Ever hear of Orlando, Las Vegas or Los Angeles?

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Things have changed since '94. They do not need the Rose Bowl any longer. Three 90K stadiums with lots of luxary for the sponsors and big rollers as possible final hosts, all from the NFC East:

1. New NYC stadium at the Meadowlands
    2. Fed Ex Field
    3. Planet Jerry.

24. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i don't lnow if henry the K is the sort of guy you want on your side..

there are quite a few nations with an arrest on sight warrant for him...

places like chile and spain..

henry's support of pinochet is frowned upon by many..

25. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Not that I doubt you, but...

a) do you have data that supports this?

b) is this for out of country tourists?