US Basketball

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SoccerScout, Sep 5, 2002.

1. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    I told you so! Thats all I can say. I said watch out for Argie...watch out for YUGO...but no...everyone was so cocky...now the US plays for 5th to 8th place!!!

I told you bout Brazil in the WC..and now I told you bout Yugoslavia...listen when I speak!!

2. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Did you tell us about the overwhelming success of the Brazilian team in this tournament, oh wait...

3. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Brazil is GOING DOWN in the 7th place game!

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    well done scout...

now would you shut-up.

ps. before you shut-up, can you tell me tomorrow's lottery numbers?

5. Megatron

Megatron New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    Chicago
    What's next?The United States loses in the shocker of the century to Puerto Rico?It could happen!!!

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a real possibility.

7. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Are you sure we have enough U.S. basketball threads out there?

8. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Lots of good articles on the US "dream team" issue at ESPN, CNNSI, Foxsports, USAToday etc...

Here is one. Looks like this guy is asking for huge changes including shorter NBA seasons just to better the US paly at the Worlds. Wow looks like Basketball, that is International Basketball has arrived in the US. The sport has come full circle.

This defeat at the games was actually very good for the US. Flaws in the NBA style of game are now as clear as a blue sky. Its almost as if we invented something, in this case basketball, then put it on a spaceship to Mars and years later Martians returned with a stronger, better and more efficient style and beat us in our own invention. Thats exactly what happened.

Take a peek at this article:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/aldridge_david/1427992.html

9. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    It has happened before.

10. SoccerScout

SoccerScout Member

Jan 3, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    Dream Team loses for 3rd time

Playing for 5th place the US just lost 81 x 75 to Spain.

The US leaves the World Championships with a shocking 3 losses and finishing in 6th place, far from a Gold medal.

11. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    I was reading an article in a Taibei newspaper regarding how the rest of the world has caught up to the United States. Phooey. Are they making up some ground? Absolutely. However, does anyone doubt that is the top 12 U.S. players from the NBA were in the tournament, that the US would have won it and rather handily?

I am sick of the attitude of the high and mighty NBA players. They would have nothing if it wasn't for the common, average American people that support them. You would think that they would have the dignity to play for our country.

This is but another example why I prefer college sports in America.

12. PhilipReed

PhilipReed New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    WMass
    Memphis CA: Zack McMillin

Y'all might enjoy this column because it specifically links US apathy toward basketball's international version to the same attitude that makes people reject soccer:

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/basketball/article/0,1426,MCA_466_1402127,00.html

And Zack is a fellow Vanderbilt Commodore like me, so i have to promote his work.... And Ludahai, right on about the college sports.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Re: Memphis CA: Zack McMillin

Good column. I like his implied criticism of the NBA (well, because it's the points I make when I tell people why I don't watch it anymore).

Who knows? This might actually be a wake up call. One of the best things that happened to the NHL was having a rough time with the Soviet Union all-star team in an 8-game series (back in the 70s). You saw a lot less dump-and-chase hockey a couple years after that, and a lot more guys who could actually skate.