Alert: Uruguay Vs. Argentina pre/pbp/post match thread[R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by NYC_COSMOS, Oct 10, 2009.

1. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Me? lol I think that you have it wrong. Nothing I've said has affected either of those two. If they have a hard time dealing with pressure then it's an inherent weakness in their character.

If you had any clue as to the Argentine experience nothing that you just mentioned would have any validity. All of the above are grossly entrenched into the mind of the Argentine fan. Hence why its followers are some of the most passionate in the world. Personally I wouldnt want to live it any other way.

Remember there are always two sides to any story and truth in criticism. If there didn't exist a thread of doubt in the mind of Argentine fans then their wouldn't be any criticism. Messi, himself, has done nothing to dismiss these feelings. He doesn't believe his fans are Argentine, he believes that his fans are in Barcelona.

If he was able to solve his injury problems what is he doing to solve his "Argentine Problem"?

How do you know if it bothers him or not? Since I know you aren't in his head, where did you read that it does in fact bother him? So far, he's only said that he hasn't performed up to par for Argentina. Which isn't exactly the same as saying that the criticism of him not being Argentine enough bothers him.

2. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    It's true that I haven't lived the Argentine experience but maybe I can see the results more objectively, and it looks a little needlessly dysfunctional from the outside when you see Messi following down Riquelme's path.

There has been a lot of talk from Barcelona about Messi coming back to Barcelona unsmiling, depressed and different. Thanks a lot. It's not you, but you exhibit a lot of speculative, deeply personal criticism which many others must also vocalize, and which seems to be getting to him in a very negative way. If certain criticism doesn't light a fire, then it hurts your cause.

3. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    you have been ready to attack messi any time his name comes up, so i just have to ask you something. You always say the qualifiers don't matter (i completely agree) and the only thing that is important is finishing in the top 4. b/c of that, you are behind maradona completely despite him giving us our most embarrassing defeat in history at bolivia, and only our second home defeat ever in qualifiers. yet messi, who played a big role in us qualifying whether you want to admit it or not, should get ripped to shreds? he helped his team qualify, so before you say he will never achieve anything for argentina wait until he has played a WC in his prime as a key member of the team.

also, messi's patriotsim/how close he has been in playing for spain has been something you have loved to bring up. now, an italian paper corriere dello sport has said that a velez boy mauro zarate is could play for italy...i'm not saying this story has or doesn't have legs, but it is a story none the less. What are your thoughts on his patriotism if he were to play for italy? i'm not saying it will happen, but if anything comes up that is at all negative about messi you pounce, but what are your thoughts on zarate? what about barrios? lets agree that players that represent argentina are argentine, and those who play for other nations are not. i will hold no grudge against zarate or barrios unless they actually play for a different country, until then they are argentine. messi, may have "just shown up to play for argentina to boost his own career" as you say, but so what. he made his choice. i think the messi attacks have gotten way too over the top

4. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
  5. El viejo Matias

May 21, 2005
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh boy it's like I never left:rolleyes::D LMAO. Seriously if anyone is going to talk about supporting the drama, the team, the nation, then why all the hate, and other bull that is being slung around rather quickly in my opinion?

Listen to ourselves, I love Veron 1998, I hate Veron 2002, Riquelme is the best, Riquelme is too slow, Roman is a " pecho frio ", Messi is the best player in the world, Messi has no heart for us, Messi is not a real Argentine, Tevez is guaranteed a spot, Tevez must be replaced, Tevez was ruined in England, and on, and on ,and on, and now I get to hear ad naseum about the " Argentine experience ", que me chupan el culo con eso, I had the Argentine experience , f@ck it ok?!?!?
    The real fact remains that our AFA is a mafia peice of sh!t and our curent coach as great a player he once was is crap as a technical director, PERIOD, within this we have infighting, uncertainties, mafia dealings and wheelings, glory hunting media pricks who look for the next juicy story and thus cruxcify anything and anyone in the hopes of getting a peice. Well I say BASTA, you want to support Argentina then start getting logical and rational and really give it and stick it to the arseholes who are behind this bullsh!t that is now the "Argentine experience". Thank you, rant over.:eek:

6. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Then you get mad when Maradona says it. lol :D

7. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe he was "just angry" like Reutemann...

8. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But I did say that. I understood his reasons with regards to his vieja but made it clear that he had to get used to it since it comes with being the 10 in Argentina. As far as the same thing happening to Messi, I wouldn't lose sleep if he walked off the team, it's not like he's done anything on his own in a meaningful senior side match.

Messi is receiving the same criticisms as Roman only he deserves it. Aside from the second Venezuela when else could you say Messi has been influential in a meaningful senior side match?

Maybe Lio is depressed because he realized that contrary to what he reads in the European press he isn't the perfect unstoppable player at least away from Barca?

What big role did Messi play in qualifying? He had a whopping four goals and maybe one assist throughout the entire campaign. Keep in mind that he played more than twice as many minutes as any other attacking player.

As far as waiting for him to be a key member of the team, that has already happened, he's the #10 and in Argentina it doesn't get any more key than that.

Lionel Messi is a phenom and yes, very worthy of the title of best player in the world but lets not blur the lines and lose sight that he's earned it predominantly for his play for Barca. Based off his performances for the national team in meaningful matches he deserves no slack. Any other player puts up those numbers as a forward with that many minutes and you'd all be asking for his being benched or why we even bother calling him up. Messi is not worthy of a double standard.

9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Matias when are going to quit holding back and tell us how you really feel:p:D
    For the record I've always hated Veron and cursed the futbol gods when he was allowed the honor of putting on a Boca jersey.

10. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Messi's not worthy of a double standard or deserving of anything except WPOTY for last season with Barca. Personally I'd switch managers before I benched him though. Just in your own self interest. As it is, Messi's recent performances for Argentina are taken by most of the world as more organizational incompetence than a reflection on him.

11. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    He's 22, let's just keep that in mind. Let's also keep in mind that at that age Maradona was getting sent off in disgrace against Brazil in 1982. I'm not comparing the players but had this forum existed back then I can't imagine the things people would be saying about him.

Let's wait till he actually has an opportunity to perform on the WC before we discard him. There are players that suck in eliminatorias and later are excellent in the WC just like there are players that are excellent in eliminatorias buck suck at the WC. We know who they are.

Well it depends if you consider the Copa America meaningful.

Messi deserves criticism no doubt about it but he's not the only one who deserves it. That's the issue here and that's were it parallels the criticism of Riquelme. Both of them were singled out. I know it's what the #10 represents but somehow I think if both players weren't wearing the 10 the criticism would have been the same.

12. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Most of the world that has taken the view you mentioned clearly don't have a precise understanding of how Argentina approaches the game. Tactics aside, we rely on an on-field conductor or more commonly an Enganche to run the show on the pitch. With the little amount of time the side actually spends together, this type of player provide balance and stability as well as an understanding of what was going on in the game at real time. This is something that once the game begins, the coach only has so much control over.

Diego saw Messi as that type of player as did many posters on this site and I have to think Messi to some degree felt that way or he wouldn't have had such an influence on how Diego dealt with Riquelme. Of course some of that falls on Kun as well but he's not the topic of conversation. It takes a special albeit complex mind to not just wear the #10 but actually produce. This clearly hasn't worked out for Messi which I'm sure you'd agree with.

I completely agree with you that had the internet existed during Diego's pomp, that he too would have the same type of shit slung at him for one reason or another. With that said though I believe the internet has worked to the benefit of Messi as well as many other players by virtue of Youtube. Using one of my favorite players of all time as an example, had Ricardo Bochini played in this day and age and had the exposure that many of these "young guns" have many folks would be touting him as one of the best ever. Outside of South Americans and die hard futbol fanaticos, I'm willing to bet most on this site or the world in general probably don't even know who he is. The internet point works both ways.

Go ahead and tell us who you feel falls into the underlined category, inquiring minds want to know:D

Certainly the Copa is meaningful but how much of his performance can you attribute to the fact he had Riquelme to take the pressure off of him?

I certainly don't feel all the criticism should fall on Messi but offensively it's hard to point the finger at many other players. Messi was expected to score the goals and provide the assists not because of a system but because he was deemed that talented.

The interesting parallel with regards to Messi/Roman and the criticisms is that based off results and production, Messi has made Roman look to be that much better of a player for the national team. How was that last comment for controversial?:D

13. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Dysfunctional is the Argentine experience, as best it can be described. How can it be imagined that it would be any other way.

Argentina's best player never plays a game in Argentina and is being questioned for his patrioticism. Yet Tevez, who no one questions, wants to live in England because of the way of life yadda yadda yadda and he's seen as the super patriot. Dysfunctional as it comes.

But in the end its all about appearances, and Messi isn't doing anything to change his, that's why the criticism on him is even harder.

Screw Barcelona, they do nothing for us.

I'm not any different in opinion from many Argentines with regards to Messi. Hell I flew all the way to Argentina to watch him play against Brazil. Honestly I would have preferred him to play his ass off. HE didn't. Had he, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

While I expect that Argentina win every game they play, I also know its not completely possible. In the rare cases that we lose, I want them to go down playing with heart. Messi didn't display that heart.

14. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The criticism is well deserved. Messi was critical in the ouster of Basile and in the ouster of Riquelme. While I personally didn't mind that Riquelme left, that still doesnt take away his actions. He in turn has not produced Barca like performances or replaced Riquelme in the mid field. So on that aspect he's extremely guilty. The team also was accomodated around him, hell we even brought in Aimar to play with Messi just because we needed someone to give him "paredes".

Like Moishe said, I wouldnt be upset if he didn't play for Argentina anymore. He's had more than 4 years to find his way on the senior side! 4 f uc king years!!! They wouldn't give anyone of us that preferencial treatment at our jobs if we took 4 years to find our groove.

Personally I like Messi, I really want him to take the Seleccion and make it HIS TEAM, but that's just not going to happen. He doesn't have that Argentine type of personality that wants to own the team and wants to be the leader. I guess thats why he's so questioned by Argentinos.

It's a natural, he was raised for a good part of his formative years in Spain. In a country that he took on as his own, that he loves. There is nothing wrong with that, but from the POV of Argentines, it just doesn't sit well.

15. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The more I think about it, the more obvious it becomes. Riquelme quit the second time because he must have felt insulted, not necessarily by Maradona's words, but by being undervalued in favor of someone who will never be able to carry the NT team. I think Riquelme knows that Messi is incapable of leading Argentina to anything worthy of note, and proud prick that he is, left us all to find out by ourselves.

I wonder if he would come back if Diego gives him the #10 and makes him the "eje" of the team. Or is it too late now?

16. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    so Messi has not had a good game for the senior NT ?? We would not even win the olympics without him. The biggest talent this nation has had since diego and you want to give him away for what???
    I bet people here would be asking for Diego's head too after 82.
    Fact is Messi is gonna play in the WC and could very well shine. After all we will be facing disorganized African teams, European teams and possibly Brazil. None of that intimidating South American setting with refs favoring the home side and 3 defenders breaking Messi's leg with no punishment whatsoever. I guess we will see soon enough

17. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I do not think anybody is saying Lio has not had a good game with us. That is far from it. But the problem is if he is doing his magic with Barcelona then do it with us. The games we needed him the most i.e. Brasil,Paraguay,Peru and Uruguay he was really nowhere to be found. Yes we qualified without Lio's help and that was the first step just to make it. And Lio will have his time to shine in South Africa. Like I have said earlier, Lio does very well vs European teams but crowd a few players around him and well he looks a bit lost. Lio has now until mid June(Maybe when we kickoff) to get his act together. If some people are superstitious(Which I try not to be, but when WC comes around I am) then the "stars" are pointing to us to win. Brasil had not won a WC in 24 since Pele left, 24 years for us not winning a WC since Diego left. World Cup is outside of Europe, no team outside of Europe has won a WC that was not staged in Europe. So is it destiny? We just need Lio to be the magician that he is. Or else, if he thinks this is bad?? If he performance poorly, goodnight Lio; might as well retire. Because not sure how he will take it at the 2011 Copa America.

18. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I don't understand this criticism of Messi. Sure he hasn't been doing well. But the team as a whole has been shit, right from the brain trust to the players on the field, and in the context of that, Messi's failures are only marginal. I just don't see why he should be criticised by an army of 'know it all' fans on BS. I see his failures as only symptomatic of the ineptness of the structure and management of the NT.

19. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As far as waiting for him to be a key member of the team, that has already happened, he's the #10 and in Argentina it doesn't get any more key than that.

Yea but what I'm saying is now wait for him to play a world cup as a key player...i don't know how you can say you wouldn't care if he left...if messi walked away from the NT and continued scoring goals for Barca, anything short of winning the WC w/ out him, and people would be screaming for messi and saying how if he had been they we would have won.

Once again, I don't think Messi is the player that Diego was, and I don't expect Messi to have a WC like Diego did in mexico 86 at SA 2010, but at 22 , maradona had never played in a CA or WCQ and was basically being judged off of friendlies. i'm just saying wait til SA...

Messi keeps getting ripped on this board and being told to grow a pair, well Mascherano, who is the captain, has been pathetic. he was the one who gave the ball away against peru...not messi. masch is considered the best DM in the world and is captain of the team, he deserves more criticism than anyone. he was also (maybe) begging the other team to stop trying, would people care if he left? i would we need masch in this WC

since maradona has taken over, the only times we have played good attacking football were: france friendly, venezuela match, 1st half against ecuador, russia friendly, 1st half against peru... there is one constant in all these matches...Veron wasn't there. people are ripping on messi for some bad qualifiers, completely disregarding his play in the OG and CA, yet Veron has really sucked more every time he has played. veron couldn't do anything in 2002 in his prime, why at the age of 35 should anything be expected of him? Veron is supposed to be diego's "coach on the field" and he has done/proven nothing other than a deflected shot against uruguay.

20. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

21. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF

22. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román

23. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Good to see Moishe defending Messi, if only in a misquote. :)
    Seriously, who is doing a good job for you guys, from the administration down to the players. DiMaria? Maybe you want to give him the 10 and then crucify him.

24. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF

25. vipnerd

vipnerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2003
    La Mitad + Román