Update: USA to play on November 17th

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by GPK, Aug 29, 2002.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UPDATE...

That press officer just rang me back, and said that there is no game between the USA and the Socceroos, due to the fact that U.S. Soccer and Soccer Australia could not agree on a date for the match between those available within FIFA's international calendar.

However, Soccer Australia also said that they would continue in negotiations for a USA-Australia friendly to be played at a later date, but November in Phoenix is definitely out of the question.

Cheers,
    William

2. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well last year the World Series with the D-backs and Yankees was played in November because of the one week delay due to Sept 11. So if the Diamondbacks went back to the series and they decide to play the rest of the season, there is a SLIM chance they could still be playing.

3. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    :(

4. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm not pulling your legs...it was on the site this morning including an MLS playoff game on 9-26 (Thurs.), men's (from the Gerald Ford Stadium in Dallas?) and women college cup, Champs. League, etc.

Ask Monster and others...that schedule is usually right on.

Sorry to let the cat out of the bag Bruce.

;)

5. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, Arizona State visits Southern Cal on 11/16 and the Arizona Cardinals are to be in Philadelphia on 11/17. Sun Devil Stadium should therefore be available on 11/17.

6. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    Probably true, but not for any that will be involved in U-20 qualifying Nov 13-17. That could include:
    Quaranta, E. Johnson, Stone, Mapp, Capano, Barclay

Not sure any of those are quite ready to be involved in senior camps yet, but Quaranta is probably not far from it and I'm ready to see Johnson break out next season.

7. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    BOB

Thats where the game will be played over Sun Devil stadium I believe. I saw Mex..err El Cry play the Yugo's at BOB and to me the field was fantastic, manicured and plenty big enough. Just my 2 cents..

8. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    11/17/02: USA v. Australia in Phoenix, AZ

Harkes isn't on the team anymore ;)

I'd like to see the US touring possible MLS candidates. Poenix and Filthydelphia are at the top of my list.

Imagine John grabbin a handful of some heshe's business and declaring, "that's not a knife bloke, this is a knife."

9. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It usually is right on, but it's not unusual to get six months worth of data in the morning and three weeks worth in the evening. GPK seems to have just hit the sked at the right moment.

10. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

This is BigSoccer......... 'nuff said!

11. AZ Horned Frog

AZ Horned Frog New Member

Nov 7, 2001
    Peoria, AZ
    Even though it's not happening, for the record...

BOB is the site for all future soccer matches over Sun Devil Stadium. USWNT did play there in 2000 and Mexico vs. Yugo was there this year. Sun Devil Stadium like most gridball stadiums is too narrow. The US played Denmark and Norway there in '92 and '93 but that was before BOB.

By the way, once the new Cardinals stadium is built on my West Side in 2004, it will be the new spot for soccer games in Phoenix.

Sorry to hear the game won't be here yet. It's been a long dry spell for the 7th largest city in the USA. Plus, I'll bet I'm the biggest Nats supporter as I've seen practically every game since 1989 so I'm disappointed. I hope they can work something out.

Justin
    Peoria, AZ

12. The Wanderer

The Wanderer New Member

Sep 3, 1999
    What would the temperature be in Arizona at that time of year?

13. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mid 80's to mid 90's possible....remember the BOB has a roof though....

soccerdome: "This is BigSoccer......... 'nuff said!"

Not sure what this means.....

14. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    Ringo: YOU ARE DEFINITELY OVERESTIMATING ADU!!!!!!!!

15. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    Arena should cap Ed Johnson. Good enough for the US B Team, but not good enough for the Mighty Burn. :D Please, please, please God make it happen. ;)

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'M FREAKIN' KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO BUY YOURSELF A SENSE OF HUMOR YOU HACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. AZ Horned Frog

AZ Horned Frog New Member

Nov 7, 2001
    Peoria, AZ
    72 Degrees under the roof, unless the game was at night when it would be about 72 degrees outside.

18. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Posted by David Allan in the Travel Thread:

"Big Dog reports there is no match. US and Australia couldn't agree on a date.

Stay tuned . . ."

I hope the USA can play a couple of matches in November vs. anyone. It's the best time possible to look at some new players that BA may want to add to the player pool. Players who don't hack in these types of matches, well they had their tryout and played themselves out of the pool.

19. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Well personally, this probaly wouldn't be the most exciting game, but what-the-heck! The US would be playing again. Good enough.

20. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...the schedule is back til 12-31-02, but they have removed Australia as the opponent.

Time block from 3PM to 5PM on ESPN....

Somebody jumped the gun...Perhaps Australia wanted their European based players available....

My guess is when they announce Bruce's extension, they'll announce the match and opponent.....

21. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's one of the factors which my contact at Soccer Australia told me. Frank Farina will want his best players available for high-profile friendlies from this point onward, which shouldn't be a reason to postpone a game if he can't get them...

So any ideas on who the opponent may be, instead of the Socceroos?

Cheers,
    William

22. kyledane

kyledane Member

Jan 28, 2000
    Near San Francisco

So you're saying that 5-10K would make their decision whether to attend this match based on whether Viduka and Kewell are going to play? I doubt that very much. Maybe 500 to 1000.

23. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    How did I forget Convey?

He should be involved in U-20 qualifying as well, and would be the most likely of any of the U-20s of being invited to a senior team camp, since he has been there before.

Anyhow, it looks like there will be a friendly in Phoenix in November, since the stadium and TV arrangements appear to be done. Getting a decent opponent shouldn't be that difficult, I hope.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Do we actually have to play a game at that point in time? It's post MLS season and a lot of those guys will be on vacation I think. All our WC MLS players need a much deserved rest after the grueling schedule they are playing. I don't think we'll actually play then.

25. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    I wonder if the NJSEA still is trying to get Brasil @ Giants Stadium.

Also, playing on Nov. 17 means European-based players would be available as it's an "official FIFA friendly" date.

Sachin