Update from one of your mods

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by mutinywxgirl, Feb 21, 2007.

1. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Folks,

I just want to let you know why I have been absent during the past year.

When I moved home from NYC to FL, I was expecting *something* to happen. Well, three weeks later, my mother had a stroke. Since then, she has continued going downhill physically and mentally, and now my brother has been diagnosed with cirrhosis. My father provides all the care for the family, while I am the one working all the time to attempt to help out financially, and running errands when necessary.

My parents are about to turn 86, and my brother just turned 56. I don't expect my brother to be alive in 6 months, and once he goes, it won't be very long for my parents to pass as well.

Needless to say, I hope you can understand why I've been absent from the forums. While we have a bit of a *quiet* time at the moment, I hope to be more active.

I look forward to getting to know many of you in the coming weeks and months, and throughout the 2007 USL season.

For the record, I did used to work at USL in 2000-01.

Again, thank you for understanding my current home life situation, and bear with me as I go through my family crises. I will do my best to be around.

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prayers for you and your family, Lisa.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We totally understand Lisa and we hope things work out for the best for you soon.

We'll carry the torch in the mean time.

4. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely understand Lisa. Take care of yourself and spend as much time with your family as you can. Peace.

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prayers go out to you. I know your strength will help get you through your challenging times. PEACE!

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll keep ya'll in my prayers.

7. Rochester

Rochester New Member

Jun 10, 2005
    WESTERN N.Y.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stay strong!

8. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    wow my prayers.

Cirrhosis is an awful thing, thats happening to your brother, it happened to someone near me. Unfortunately I know your pain. All the best.

9. TSAcademy

TSAcademy New Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Florida
    Sad story but this is BigSoccer not BigOprah.com ... why post such personal news ? Why not privately contact those that need to know ? Why do you always have to mention who you used to work for as well ? Almost every post you make has some sort of " I used to work..." angle .. especially in this thread, why take the focus from your family back to your old job. Not trying to make it personal but you really stretch the limits of your mod role.

10. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Points taken, however, as a mod, I have NOT been around here for the past nearly 18 months. The administrators have been kind enough to allow me to remain in the position and not have me step down. I feel that since I've been MIA for so long, some explanation was/is necessary.

Also, the reference to having worked for USL is for all the new people who have joined in my absence so they understand why I help to moderate this forum and why people tend to look to me for answers at times.

It's not taking my mod job to anything other than being thoughtful and helping everyone understand why I've not been around. I feel bad for not being around, and am VERY thankful that the admins have allowed me to remain.

Sorry if you are offended at my posts.

To the rest, thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for the thoughts and prayers and PM's. Your support means more than I can ever express. I will do my best to be around as much as life allows.

11. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prayers on the way Lisa.

This is a community of people interested in the USL and soccer, so it sometimes gets to be more than a community and people become friends. Friends like to know the important things that go on in our lives.

12. Wildcard

Wildcard New Member

Jul 4, 2004
    US
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mutinywxgirl,

All thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

I have to counter the contention that our lives should be separate from our soccer.

My son and I visited his grandmother only days before her death from cancer at a hospice facility in Nashville, TN a couple of summers ago. He was extremely distraught from the visit. He returned to Nashville days later with his PDL team knowing his grandmother was being read last rites the evening of his match against the Metros. Sitting the bench as a younger player, he had not seen the pitch in the first three games that season. This fourth game was a wild one tied at 2-2 in the 80th, when the coach called his name and told him to make something happen.

The match extended into overtime when this young man surprised everyone including his coach by providing the winning assist. As his teammates cheered, this boy exploded in tears and pointed to the sky saying only, "That was for you MiMi!"

Our lives and our soccer are one in the same, my friends....

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lighten up, Francis.

14. YankExile

YankExile New Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Lisa, I don't know you, but I hope everything goes well for you. I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time.

15. mutinywxgirl

mutinywxgirl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 6, 1999
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Thanks everyone - this week is going to tell me a lot about how the rest of the year may go. Your support means a lot.