Upcoming roster moves - help?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Kevin Lindstrom, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude - you have no idea what is going on in Dallas' market, so don't go throwing stones. So you suck off your media people more than we do, so what? The reality is you live in a smaller town that doesn't have any other major sports beyond the Jazz - and that is a benefit to you, but don't make the mistake of assuming that it means Salt Lake is a better soccer town than Dallas.

And as for attendance this year - they are saving all their money for advertizing at our shinny new soccer specific stadium, which is smart business. What does it tell you that we drew 11k a week ago Saturday with NO advertizing?

This is just a friendly suggestion - don't go down this road. You won't win.

2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Its even sadder when asshats like you make up statistics.....we haven't had less then 8,000 on ANY night.

I would like to introduce you to Steve Davis, Tobias Xavier Lopez and Buzz Carrick.....the best triple threat in soccer coverage in any city in America.

3. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    First of all I live in Dallas. Second I never said it was a better soccer town. If you guys with the short fuses would read my post instead of getting defensive you would see that you said the same thing I did. ONLY ONE MAJOR SPORTS COMPETITOR. And as far as sucking off the media people...great come back.

4. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Well....that's different.

5. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if you live in Dallas, you're even dumber than I thought - you should KNOW better, unless you haven't been paying attention. Are you one of those "the local team isn't good enough for me" types? Pathetic.

And however you tried to justify it, you were taking a shot at our attendance - what kind of a response did you expect?

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phil isn't playing in reserves cause he is hurt. As I reported in last weeks practice report he has a strained knee.

7. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Yes, by 25%...glad you can admit how horribly wrong you were. Now....piss off.

8. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Don't show this guy too much hate. He is correct on all accounts here. Even when the Burn first started, we didn't get the level of coverage that RSL gets from the hometown. I am quite envious, actually.

I don't think we have had a 6K crowd yet, though, have we?

9. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in a 4-3-3. Width comes form the outside backs and it is critical that they be able to get forward and the defense rotate. Otherwise the shape breaks down and the team gets hammered (see Chicago game).

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Well, if you add the DMN and FWST coverage together you are damn close to what they get in one paper in Suck Lake. Once you add in the amazing coverage we get from Buzz its not even a contest.[/QUOTE]

No....worst we've had was over 8,000. Facts & Figures

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to Jamie last week. You are correct that things are going well for him in RSL. But he wanted to come to Dallas in the draft and he would take a trade here in a heart beat. Which is of course different than wanting out of RSL.

All of which is moot cause coaches and GMs make trades not players.

It's also moot cause it ain't gonna happen. It was fantasy on my part, which I clearly stated in the origional post.

12. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    I don't think he was trying to be mean about it, he was just pointing out that RSL gets a lot of media attention, and therefore good attendance. He is disappointed in FCD attendance, like we all are, and acknowledges that the media is part of the problem, which we all do...

This guy isn't trying to attack us or anything, he is just trying to enter into the conversation and keep us from hammering that other RSL guy too badly.

13. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, Phil seems like a real good person, and I have no reason to doubt it. And he has apparently done everything the team has asked of him without complaint.

But he isn't "getting the shaft." He isn't getting playing time because the guy who calls the shots went in a different direction - and frankly, considering the results (both last season and this season in terms of what has gone on at right back), I have no reason to say Colin is wrong.

Hey, I think everyone would agree that if he has a chance to start somewhere else and Dallas can get something for him, great.

But based on the cold hard fact of his ability, he isn't playing. I *seriously* doubt it is something personal.

So, in short, I don't think it is a fair statement to say he is "getting the shaft."

This is, after all, professional sports, not rec league soccer. Hell, look at Bobby Rhine - someone who at times has shown promise and is a great team guy, but he hasn't been a regular starter until this year. But he persevered and finally found a place to try to contribute.

14. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simmer down fellas. We should be above attendance smack when we're sitting nine points clear.

Let them talk all they want at this point.

15. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Hey, not knocking any of our great writers, especially Buzz and all of the work that he does. But Salt Lake has multiple articles flying out of there every day, from multiple sources, and that doesn't count the TV coverage they get. There is no comparison between the media in the two cities. We all wish we got more coverage here in Dallas. That will change when the stadium opens, but hopefully we can keep the momentum up.

16. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Of course, they have two major papers there as well. And you really are barking up the wrong tree on that score. Your time would have been better spent pointing out that the Burn drew pretty well in its first season, too (16,011), and it doesn't necessarily mean it'll stay that way.

17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen the coverage they get, and agree it is pretty stout.

But - what good is it to get into a pi$sing contest about something we have no control over? And I'm sorry, but he said "I think it's sad to see one of the top teams in the league with 6,000 on a Sat night. The promotions and media coverage in SLC far surpasses Dallas. HS girls volleyball gets better coverage." That I don't think it is fair to look at that statement and say, "I don't think he was trying to be mean about it." He was being flippant and a smart A. He got the response he deserved.

18. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good point. Between our FO, PHP and the way the team is playing, there isn't another team I would want to support this year. What supporters group has the GM watch the game from right in front of them because he is as into the game as they are? NE is the only team to compare to how we are playing on the field, and only LA will have a better stadium this year, and that is a matter of degree. Other than LA, PHP will be the envy of the league.

So while media coverage is nice, who needs it? Dallas is soccer knowledgeable enough to not need media help to sell the sport.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precisely.

It's like I said: MLS history started in 2005 for these people.

20. soccercptn

soccercptn New Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Plano
    Okay, getting this back on subject....

Blurb in the DMN says that any moves made will be minor. A move to the Dev slot or something.

SO, Maurin moves to dev team (assume him over Wags since Wags is actually seeing some time on the pitch), and Jolley takes some sort of pay cut/restructuring?

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds about right. Something like that.

Or - they get two or three players to take smaller paycuts so that it adds up to what they need for Mark.

22. Jonno

Jonno New Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It would be pretty nice if that's all they have to do to bring in Wilson.

23. txaggie93

txaggie93 New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    But I thought the signing of Pulido this week filled our last open Dev slot. No?

24. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - but remember that a roster slot will open up when Richard goes on the IR, so we don't need it yet until Wilson can sign here. Your point probably does point out that moving Maurin down may not be an option, but getting the salary cuts can still be done.

I know if I were Steve Jolley, I'd rather take a pay cut and play for a winner rather than be waived. And I doubt he would be alone.

Or remember that we could have traded for cap room. That is another possibility.

25. Armis36

Armis36 Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Garland, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone tell me anything about Mark Wilson?
    All I could find was this on the E.P.L. site...

I mean seriously, that's all I could find on him. Could y'all fill me in?